Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Biker Gear in Lidl

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I was in Lidl and Aldi today looking at the biker gear. It seems like pretty good value.

There is a few items I was thinking of getting from Lidl/Aldi

Gloves (Aldi)
    Kidney Belt (Aldi)
    Waterproof over shoes (Aldi)
    Leather Throusers (Aldi)
    Material Jacket (Aldi)
    Helmet (Aldi)

The three main ones are the throusers, jacket and helmet. Would I be mad buying stuff like this from Lidl or Aldi?
    Anything is better than nothing. You should get as good as what you can afford I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was in Lidl and Aldi today looking at the biker gear. It seems like pretty good value.

There is a few items I was thinking of getting from Lidl/Aldi

Gloves (Aldi)
    Kidney Belt (Aldi)
    Waterproof over shoes (Aldi)
    Leather Throusers (Aldi)
    Material Jacket (Aldi)
    Helmet (Aldi)

The three main ones are the throusers, jacket and helmet. Would I be mad buying stuff like this from Lidl or Aldi?

Whatever about the quality of their helmets, there's no way in hell I'd buy one now. They've been on display for several weeks with everyone picking them up and throwing them back.

Get good quality waterproof boots and don't bother with over boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

What about gloves. Should I have two different types of gloves? Ones for winter and summer? Also should they have plastic protectors in them? I dont think the ones in Lidl have any plastic protectors on them.

Well I presume the helmets at the bottom of the stack will be fine. I wouldn't buy any of the open boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

What about gloves. Should I have two different types of gloves? Ones for winter and summer? Also should they have plastic protectors in them? I dont think the ones in Lidl have any plastic protectors on them.

Well I presume the helmets at the bottom of the stack will be fine. I wouldn't buy any of the open boxes.

You'll probably need two pairs (unless you've heated grips, then you might get away with just one pair). I have a few different pairs for different purposes - the winter ones are nicely and warm, but I don't like them because I feel clumsier on the throttle when wearing them. Summer ones are vented and lighter.

I like protectors on the knuckles at least, then there's loads of extra features available. I don't think there's as much consensus on how important armour is in a glove - you'll see things on some of the higher end gloves like scaphoid protectors, links between the little finger and next one (little finger is easily bent across and broken I guess?). Depends on what you want I suppose.

I wouldn't buy a helmet in Lidl or Aldi. Makes no sense - for a slightly higher price you can pick up something that's 5 star Sharp rated as well as ECE approved, and the helmets I looked at in Lidl just seemed awfully low quality. They're obviously to ECE standard, but they seemed incredibly uncomfortable to wear, and the lining / shield quality, all just not great. I just don't see them being comfortable to wear, or lasting all that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you're going to be commuting you'll need at least 2 pairs of gloves, unless you go fully faired, since leather doesn't like being force dried. Nothing worst then putting on damp gloves on a cold winter morning.

It's your head, but the Lidl staff have no training on helmet handling and you don't know how many times they've moved the boxes or how they treat them.

You can pick up helmets for ~€100 in nearly all bikes shops. If your around Dublin Cotters have good value and you can haggle with him.

Also you need to get your head measured to get the correct fit since no mater what lid you get if it doesn't fit correctly it's useless

Advertisement