Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alarm companies

Options
  • 17-03-2011 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all

I have a hkc alarm in a rented house the new tenants in the house want to change the alarm code which is understandable.

Problem is the company that installed the alarm has an installers code on it does this seem a bit crazy i can understand that there is settings that can be to much for the user to access and can do harm. but surely it is the owners right to know the code and if he does harm he has to pay to get it fix

would be nice to here anybodys opinion on this

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Any company would be able to reset this for you.
    There are some listed in the sticky here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748
    You can also look up the PSA register here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

me2011 wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a hkc alarm in a rented house the new tenants in the house want to change the alarm code which is understandable.

Problem is the company that installed the alarm has an installers code on it does this seem a bit crazy i can understand that there is settings that can be to much for the user to access and can do harm. but surely it is the owners right to know the code and if he does harm he has to pay to get it fix

would be nice to here anybodys opinion on this

I am afraid you have no option without defaulting the alarm but to get the company or another company to do this for you as they never set up the user management menu. If they had you could of easily changed the code on the alarm. When you do I suggest you get them to set you up as user one with the management menu set for you. This will allow you add new codes as tenants move in and out of your property.
    If you decide to default the alarm you will get all the help you need here to reprogram the alarm :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 me2011

thanks for the reply altor how do you default the alarm and how would it change the setup

Regards
    Shane

me2011 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply altor how do you default the alarm and how would it change the setup

Regards
    Shane

Hi Shane,
    You will need to turn the mains off, open the control panel. Disconnect the battery. Remove the link on the centre of the board marked Jp1. Power up the panel on battery. Enter 1111 on the keypad. If it says engineer locked you will need an engineer to default the alarm. Replace link and enter 04567 on the keypad. Go to user menu to set up codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

It's nice to see alarm companies giving out information to defeat alarm systems, diy ones at that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That method of defaulting a system is common knowledge and is freely available. Its in the manuals also.
    That's why most companies would engineer lock the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

Sorry to hijack another user's thread - but I think I have a similar problem with my alarm. Bought my house a few years ago, and the previous owners gave us their alarm code. We then discovered that we couldn't change it because it is engineer locked. Tried to arrange for the guy who installed the alarm to come out and change it. Arranged a time with him, and took a day off work to be there to let him in. He never showed, and he has never answered his phone since. (I actually have no idea if he is just being difficult, or if he was involved in some kind of fatal accident!)

Anyway, we've been living with the same alarm code as the previous owners since then, but if I'm interpreting what I'm reading here correctly, it seems that any alarm company could reset it? Is that true? I didn't realise that would be the case. I thought it would be impossible without this particular guy's code.

And that makes it right.

Jnealon wrote: »
    And that makes it right.
    I don't think it makes it wrong. Should we also stop sharing the engineer manuals also ?
    Its all about those who know helping those who don't.
    Those who leave panels unlocked are doing more in helping panels be defeated.

aniascor wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack another user's thread - but I think I have a similar problem with my alarm. Bought my house a few years ago, and the previous owners gave us their alarm code. We then discovered that we couldn't change it because it is engineer locked. Tried to arrange for the guy who installed the alarm to come out and change it. Arranged a time with him, and took a day off work to be there to let him in. He never showed, and he has never answered his phone since. (I actually have no idea if he is just being difficult, or if he was involved in some kind of fatal accident!)

Anyway, we've been living with the same alarm code as the previous owners since then, but if I'm interpreting what I'm reading here correctly, it seems that any alarm company could reset it? Is that true? I didn't realise that would be the case. I thought it would be impossible without this particular guy's code.
    Yes,any company would be able to reset the panel.
    Also note, the panel being engineer locked has nothing to do with you not having the ability to change your code. The original installer simply didn't set your code permissions to allow this.

• Advertisement

There are easier ways of disabling a panel than defaulting it. Disabling information is not easily available on the net.

I have seen the method that you have posted for defeating a HKC alarm used on a number of occasions.
    For an alarm company to freely give out this information is just wrong and is sending out all the wrong messages.
    I am sure your inspectorate would not like to see one of it's companies freely giving out this information to strangers on the internet.
    My inspectorate takes a dim view of this

The factory default information is widely available.
    Its been posted here and in other forums many times for different panels.
    It is in every engineer manual, its not a secret & I have no problem with that information being available here. The manufacturers will hand out that information to anyone over the phone.
    As it is so widly available it really is up to individuals to ensure their alarm is engineer locked.
    Anyone who leaves this vunerability in a panel they install should be held responsible if a panel is bypassed using this method.
    The OPs query has been answered. If you wish to discuss the pros & cons on engineer locking etc there is plenty in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055241850

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement