Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job Offer

Options
  • 17-03-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi guys,

Basically the story is that due to being laid off from work 2 years ago, I’ve had to move away from my partner to another part of the country to work Monday through to Friday for a job that I am over qualified for & doesn’t challenge me. I’m bored to be honest.

Yesterday I got offered my dream job, but it’s in London. An old manager from my old company headhunted me. I would really really love to take up this job, & it is a major opportunity.

When I say it to my partner, she just scoffed at me & that’s it. The thing is I really want to take up the challenge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

take the job

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yep take it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

are you going to move to London and leave your partner here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

What do you mean scoffed at you? Is she normally supportive and how long are you with her? Would you 'scoff' if the roles were reversed?

If it is in fact your dream job you could very well resent her in the future if you don't take it. Besides the gf, what other commitments do you have keeping you here? If it was me, I would have to think long and hard about it but I am lucky in that my partner is as supportive as anyone could possibly be.

Sorry for being laid off btw, thankfully you were able to find work fairly fast and even have other options, many others don't have that choice. You are lucky, and I wish you the best of luck with the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

If there are no children involved then do what it right for you. If your parnter does not agree then you have no option then to think about what is more important to you. Follow your heart on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

I had a similar situation not long ago. Try talking it through with her. Try to explain the advantages to her and how both of you would benefit. If she is employed (if I guess) offer her to help with finding a new job. London is not that far away and flights are cheap, so she could easily visit friends and family (same goes for you).
    If she still doesn't understand and you have nothing else binding you: take the job. It may sound egoistic but since it's your dream job this will become an issue between you two sooner or later, you have to think of your own well-being a bit too. And a change like that doesn't come to you every day, may as well be the last time you get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Go to London,

I did long distance with my partner at the time being in Ireland and I was living in London. Its hard but if you are already away from her Monday to Friday you can make it work.

My relationship didnt workout in the end but London was nothing to do with it, I know another couple who did long distance with him in Ireland and her in London, they are now very happily married.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

eilo1 wrote: »
    Go to London,

I did long distance with my partner at the time being in Ireland and I was living in London. Its hard but if you are already away from her Monday to Friday you can make it work.

My relationship didnt workout in the end but London was nothing to do with it, I know another couple who did long distance with him in Ireland and her in London, they are now very happily married.

True, forgot to mention that. My partner and me were on long distance for over a year before we moved together. Skype makes it rather easy nowadays and as I said, flights are cheap.

Just forgot as she didn't seem to be delighted about country separation (though maybe with a flight you're with her faster than by car now....and not so many potholes!)

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

Go for it. I have done the long term relationship now married to my partner :). I dont see being across the water any different to being across say Dublin to Galway the commuting time would roughly be the same time. You might as well be in a different country than the same country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

goonup wrote: »

When I say it to my partner, she just scoffed at me & that’s it. The thing is I really want to take up the challenge

Hmm, would you like this post moved to PI? Am thinking it would fit better there ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement