Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My First Judo Class

• 17-03-2011 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have been practicing Traditional Jiu Jitsu with about a year now and I love it but with the lack of competition I was craving something more so I looked into Judo and I went and took my first class last night.

I have to say I would recommend Judo to any one and everyone. I enjoyed it so much it's a little bit "Looser" than Jiu Jitsu from what I took away from it was find what works for you and run with it.

Had a small bit of a randori at the end and nailed an O Soto Gari! No better feeling!

Just thought I would share this little bit of happiness with you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Excellent, what club did you attend?.

I think coming from a trad JJ club means the learning curve won't be so steep.

Best of luck with it.

*edit - have you checked out judoforum.com?.. There's a wealth of information on everything Judo there, including a busy video forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Disco Volante

I attended Judo IchiDai in Moonenroe, Kilkenny. The Instructor is Graham McHale who trained in Kilkenny Judo Club, Kilkenny City. It's only a small club but Graham was great last night.

Thanks for the link, I will most certainly check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I have been practicing Traditional Jiu Jitsu with about a year now and I love it but with the lack of competition I was craving something more so I looked into Judo and I went and took my first class last night.

I have to say I would recommend Judo to any one and everyone. I enjoyed it so much it's a little bit "Looser" than Jiu Jitsu from what I took away from it was find what works for you and run with it.

Had a small bit of a randori at the end and nailed an O Soto Gari! No better feeling!

Just thought I would share this little bit of happiness with you!

Fair play! Took me a lot longer to land any sort of a throw in randori.

You won't be disappointed with the competition side of it either. I've only taken part in one comp so far but I found you get a fair buzz from the adrenalin when you step onto the mat.

Thank you! Ah the only reason I got it is because I really enjoy that throw in Traditional JJ and have it done it a lot. What I really enjoyed about the whole thing was throwing someone who didn't want to be thrown. When in JJ the Uke is just standing there not helping but not fighting either. It's just nice to get out there and be going up against someone one on one.

Yeah I'm getting ahead of myself by thinking of competition already but sure why not!

OP, and any Judoka, don't worry too much about your throws. In times you'll discover 2 or 3 (three if your lucky) throws which work for you and develope your judo around them.

Concentrate on newaza (ground work), and remember of the four ways to win a judo fight three of those are on the ground!.. Pins/hold downs, chokes/strangles & joint locks.

Lovely thing about throws, we don't have to butt flop into guard :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Great to hear it, OP. There's nothing nicer than nailing a nice new throw you've never pulled off before! I did traditional JJ myself, and it was good but there's not a whole lot of competitions you can do with it in Ireland.

Hope you keep up the Judo, I started three years ago and never looked back!

So I never made it back to my second class. I sustained a depressed skull fracture on the front of the aul thinking box. I was disgusted too, looks like I'm going to be out of training for a few months maybe due to one or two complications but I'll get back in there when the Doctors give me the all clear!

So I never made it back to my second class. I sustained a depressed skull fracture on the front of the aul thinking box. I was disgusted to looks like I'm going to be out of training for a few months maybe due to one or two complications but I'll get back in there when the Doctors give me the all clear!

Holy crap - don't worry about Judo, just get yourself better.

How did the injury happen?.

I had a fight with a Mowag and it came out looking much better than I did!

I had a fight with a Mowag and it came out looking much better than I did!

I take it your in the defence forces?.

Pity, we have a Judo camp coming up geared towards complete novices but you'll never be recovered in time.

• Advertisement

I sure am for my sins.

That now truly is bad luck! I hope your joking with me!! I have been talking to one or two lads about getting something done! Typical it would happen when I'm suffering with a cracked skull.

I sure am for my sins.

That now truly is bad luck! I hope your joking with me!! I have been talking to one or two lads about getting something done! Typical it would happen when I'm suffering with a cracked skull.

Nope, not joking.

I have it posted in the Military Forum.

As its for complete beginners and novices it would have suited you down to the ground too.

That is crap! I'm sure there will be more camps and any way I need the rest there is no way I will be back in time for anything like this but thanks for the heads up any way!

Advertisement