Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid for Gym membership on Visa Card now gym is gone bust

Options
  • 17-03-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey guys,
    Ive been a member of total fitness for past two years, the gym itself and the staff I don't have a bad word to say about them, they have always been really helpful and friendly and came across as they did care about their customers.

This is a REAL longshoot, I paid for my gym membership in full a month ago for 2011, 539 euro in total using my Visa card.

As of today the gym has gone bust and liquidators are being appointed, so I have a feeling the gym has closed for good and my membership I paid for is gone bye bye.

I remember a few years ago an old manager of mine bought a new sofa on his visa card and the sofa company went bust but he got his money back from Visa? cant quiet remember the full details but does anyone have any advice for me on this? is it possible to get my money back from Visa or whats the process when a liquidator is appointed?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Contact the Card Services department of your bank tomorrow and see what is required to initiate a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

According to another post the limit with MBNA anyway is 120 days:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055353146

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jimmy_Rabbitte

Thanks for the advice guys, going to ring them now and see what happens I think its a UK call center so they should be open today..

Edit:
    Thanks again guys, rang my visa company 'Charge Back' was the buzz word to use, I have to send in all my info to them in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Interesting - hope this works out, if it does its just another reason to pay for everything with a credit card!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭culsoh

Thats great - hope its all sorted out for you ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

tommy21 wrote: »
    Interesting - hope this works out, if it does its just another reason to pay for everything with a credit card!

It does offer an added layer of protection to people alright, doesn't always work but better than the alternative of paying with cash or laser. Sooner the banks switch away from laser to visa debit that better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

calex71 wrote: »
    It does offer an added layer of protection to people alright, doesn't always work but better than the alternative of paying with cash or laser. Sooner the banks switch away from laser to visa debit that better.

Visa Debit doesnt have a chargeback facility, its linked to your bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Visa Debit doesnt have a chargeback facility, its linked to your bank account.

This is not necessarily true... it it possible to chargeback debit transactions in some circumstances. Please do not post misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I have posted some info over on the main TF thread about how to get your money back. Nothing particularly special, but better to be correctly informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

i booked a volunteer trip a few years ago through paypal. company went bust about 2 weeks before i was due to leave. thank god for VISA purchases insurance. got all my money back....would choose VISA every time. VISA debit is also a far better card than laser. I miss it since Halifax left the country...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

i booked a volunteer trip a few years ago through paypal. company went bust about 2 weeks before i was due to leave. thank god for VISA purchases insurance. got all my money back....would choose VISA every time. VISA debit is also a far better card than laser. I miss it since Halifax left the country...

No need to miss it, every bank is switching to visa debit as laser is being wound down. Ulster bank have already switched.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    No need to miss it, every bank is switching to visa debit as laser is being wound down. Ulster bank have already switched.
    Permanent TSB have visa debit now too, (afaik) all current account holders have been getting their bank cards replaced with bank/debit combi cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

i wish they'd hurry up. However, the one thing about VISA debit is that some retailers (like Tesco Ireland) dont have the software to offer cashback...that is up until last June when I had my halifax card. I dunno if the situation has changed now. M&S and think Dunnes have the software but not Tesco.

Advertisement