Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History, Politics, Sociology and Social Studies Degree

Options
  • 17-03-2011 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi everyone,

I'm considering doing the HPSS degree in UL next year

Is it a good course?

If I want to become a secondry school teacher, how suitable is the HPSS for getting into the H.Dip?

Also, if I want to become a politician, is this degree suitable?

I appriciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

I'm a current first year H.P.S.S, it's a good course, it's general and flexible degree. If you want to become a teacher, i think you need to do history for the four years and likewise with politics i imagine you will need to do politics for the four years. Keep politics and history on though because i think they would be the main subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

If you wish to do it for the purposes of secondary teaching you will need to keep history for the 4 years as a major subject. If you get into the HDip - it will qualify you as a history teacher to LC higher level and a CSPE teacher, but be aware that it will be hard to get a job with just these subject combos.

I did it - very very very few of the people in my year have gotten any work out of it (i ended up becoming a fitness instructor!!), some ended up doing further education, most went abroad, some are doing unpaid internships.

If you wish to do it for the purposes of secondary teaching you will need to keep history for the 4 years as a major subject. If you get into the HDip - it will qualify you as a history teacher to LC higher level and a CSPE teacher, but be aware that it will be hard to get a job with just these subject combos.

I did it - very very very few of the people in my year have gotten any work out of it (i ended up becoming a fitness instructor!!), some ended up doing further education, most went abroad, some are doing unpaid internships.

Well that's put me down anyway :(

I will probably do the post grad, so i'll be another 4 years inside there, just trying to get an edge where possible. Hopefully things will be brighter then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jonathen

Thanks lads.... clears things up for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Its not a course that gets you a job straight from the degree. Its like ARTS in that way, only theres a lot more work Arts in the NUIs are a lot easier speaking from experience.

Advertisement