Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying equipment from Adorama.com (United States)

• 17-03-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Was thinking of saving a few euro and buying some equipment from www.adorama.com based in New York and having it shipped to Dublin. I will pay using my Irish credit card.

Has anyone here done this before? Can you recommend these guys? Anything I should know?

Thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Bought from them in person, great service, have heard their online sales just as good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi,

Bought my Canon 50D, 24-105L and my 70-200L from Adorama online and got them shipped to my sisters in the States. Picked them up from her while on holidays. Adorama were spot on, everything was fine. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Has anyone here done this before? Can you recommend these guys?

Adorama have a good reputation. One of their representatives pops up
    on this forum from time to time.
    Anything I should know?

You may have to pay VAT/DUTY.

Most camera manufacturers won't offer warranty support for cameras
    bought in a different region.

You may need to use a mains plug adapter. Check the charger
    specs to make sure it can handle our higher mains voltage of
    230V.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Thanks folks,

Just ordered from them there. A new Nikon 70 - 300mm lens with two filters and a cleaning kit are making their way to me now. Any ideas how long it takes for stuff to get to Ireland, and what's the current import duty rate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

You will have to pay 21% on the total price including postage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

I've only purchased in the store ...

They are a bit full of c**p ... but the prices are great and the gear is fine ... that's where I got Valentia's 5D MKII and Coveys 35mm F1.4L ...

EDIT - I'm prefer B&H ... but there is also J&R and Abes of Maine as alternative ... bought off all of them without issues ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

lads im looking to buy a canon eos 500 0r 550d whats that in america talk are they the canon rebels and if i did order one when and how do you pay the 21% on it:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

shamrock55 wrote: »
    lads im looking to buy a canon eos 500 0r 550d whats that in america talk are they the canon rebels and if i did order one when and how do you pay the 21% on it:confused:

500D = T1i
    550D = T2i
    600D = T3i

Would you save much money? Adorama's price for the T1i is $549 for body only,
    $604.34 for 18-55mm kit. VAT, duty and shipping would probably bring you close
    to the price of the European model (500D). You would also have a 12 month warranty
    from Canon Europe and the right power plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

yea its actually cheaper on pixmania thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 16 HelenOster

hbr wrote: »
    Adorama have a good reputation. One of their representatives pops up
    on this forum from time to time.

That'd be me!

Always only a email away: HelenO@adorama.com, and delighted to be able to help with advice or after-sales support :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭mattfinucane

Hi Helen,

Package arrived safe and sound today. Ended up getting the Nikon 18 - 200 VR. Fantastic lens. I got stung for €130 for customs but it ended up being cheaper than buying it in Europe.

Hi Helen,

Package arrived safe and sound today. Ended up getting the Nikon 18 - 200 VR. Fantastic lens. I got stung for €130 for customs but it ended up being cheaper than buying it in Europe.

party-smiley-9534.gif party-smiley-563.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Hi Helen,

Does anyone know how to calculate the customs charges in advance? I can't find anything on the Revenue & Customs website. Adorama will add on charges, but I have no way of knowing if they are the same as would apply this side of the pond.

Maybe Helen, you can help!?

TIA

Seasoft wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to calculate the customs charges in advance? I can't find anything on the Revenue & Customs website. Adorama will add on charges, but I have no way of knowing if they are the same as would apply this side of the pond.

Maybe Helen, you can help!?

TIA

Adorama doesn't add any charges except shipping. I think you'll find the info you need re: importing into Ireland here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/businesses/importing/index.html#section1

in a PDF file here:

icon_pdf_small.gifA Guide to Customs Import Procedures ( PDF,228KB)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Thanks Helen.

I also discovered since my post that there is a forum on the matter:

In the forum for boards.ie > Biz > Consumer > Online Buying & Auctions there is a sticky entitled New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

Advertisement