Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They dont make them like they used to!

Options
  • 17-03-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi all, was looking back through much loved games from my youth and have a real nostalgic longing for some awsome retro gaming. The problem is most of the games I used to love have not aged well. Could you please recommend me something modern, that has the same charm as some of the following:

Syndicate / syndicate wars
    Shining force
    Dune
    Powermonger
    Dungeon Keeper
    Broken sword
    Monkey Island

Something along those lines, with a bit more thinking than action. And some of the dry humour of the latter three would also be greatly appreciated.

Please Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The new monkey island games? Not bad at $35/€25. I got them myself for cheaper on talk like a pirate day. It's good but I only had time to play the first chapter so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Stacking would be a good call I think. It's full of clever puzzles and humour, and has a really unique style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Hi all, was looking back through much loved games from my youth and have a real nostalgic longing for some awsome retro gaming. The problem is most of the games I used to love have not aged well. Could you please recommend me something modern, that has the same charm as some of the following:

Syndicate / syndicate wars
    Shining force
    Dune
    Powermonger
    Dungeon Keeper
    Broken sword
    Monkey Island

Something along those lines, with a bit more thinking than action. And some of the dry humour of the latter three would also be greatly appreciated.

Please Help!

Well you may as well follow the trend of Peter Molyneux & Charles Cecil Games you have going there and try the Fable games :p (Also the Broken Sword games were re-released last year and have shiny new graphics)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Call of Duty.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

If you're looking for charm you should really try some of the xbox arcade stuff. Stacking, as mentioned above. Also Braid is outstanding. Browse around and see what takes your fancy.

Beyond good and evil HD is a remake of the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

minecraft + dungeon keeper = profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Have you ever played Grim Fandango? Not new by any count but absolutely outstanding, in the same vein as monkey island. (Same creators)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Have you ever played Grim Fandango? Not new by any count but absolutely outstanding, in the same vein as monkey island. (Same creators)

+1.

Also The Dig.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

@ OP you have the exact same taste as me. Hard to find modern games in that vein.

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall were very good(Dreamfall lacks playability but has a very strong narrative)

Machinarium is an excellent and innovative modern adventure game

You may like Syberia(I didn't) nor did I like The Whispered World, but it has it's fans and is absolutely gorgeous to look at.

Sid Meier's Pirates is great fun too

If you liked Powermonger then I guess you could take your pick from any of the mainline strat and rts games like Civ 4/5; Starcraft etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

lazlo wrote: »
    @ OP you have the exact same taste as me. Hard to find modern games in that vein.

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall were very good(Dreamfall lacks playability but has a very strong narrative)

Machinarium is an excellent and innovative modern adventure game

You may like Syberia(I didn't) nor did I like The Whispered World, but it has it's fans and is absolutely gorgeous to look at.

Sid Meier's Pirates is great fun too

If you liked Powermonger then I guess you could take your pick from any of the mainline strat and rts games like Civ 4/5; Starcraft etc

also the commandos games are in a similar vein to the syndicate games, in isometric 3d too :) have fun

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

I LOVED the broken sword games! i only payed the first 2 though, and half of 2.5. I never got around to playing the newer 3D broken swords but im going to see if i can get them cheap of the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Syndicate / syndicate wars - not much that resembles these sadly, but the first 3 Commandos games could be good, a bit more strategy focused and set in WW2 but still good. Or try the Freedom Force games, dirt cheap on Steam and GOG.com.

Shining Force - Either get a PSP and theres tons of strategy/rpg games on it like Tactics Ogre and Valkyria Chronicles 2, or buy a DS and get Advance Wars: Dual Strike. Or get a PS3 and valkyria Chronicles 1.

Dune - erm, this the Dune 1 point and click adventure game or Dune 2 the RTS game?

Powermonger - hrm ya could try the Civ games as was pointed earlier, also From Dust is arriving on PC soon and looks quite good.

Dungeon Keeper - Step 1: go to GOG.com. Step 2: buy and download Evil Genius. Step 3: profit?

Broken sword - plenty of point & clicks mentioned here already, most would be dirt cheap too.

Monkey Island - *Professor Farnsworth voice* Good news everybody, these have been remade in HD on PC and voice work added to BS1.
    [/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

chin_grin wrote: »
    +1.

Also The Dig.

Ah the dig. I thought that it was pretty boring when I started it first but then started to enjoy it. It has some good puzzles.

Advertisement