Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Offlicences for Craft Beer

• 17-03-2011 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wanted to start a thread on this, as I've found in some parts of the city it can be difficult to get a good beer selection, especially some of the harder to get American Ales (River Horse, Hop Hazard)
    Anyway, the good ones around me are
    Martins - Fairview
    Lilac - Philipsburgh Avenue (Hidden Gem)
    McHughs - Kilbarrick Rd

Anywhere else good?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

McHugh's - Malahide Road (they have a bigger selection than Kilbarrack road)
    Supervalu - Balbriggan (currently have the Duvel glass & 2 bottles for €7.99)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Excuse my ignorance of Dublin but any of those in the city centre? Or more specifically, around Busaras.

Nope. SuperValu Aston Quay isn't far, or take the Luas to Smithfield for DrinkStore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Redmonds of Ranelagh.

Also to be noted is Superquinns selection of beers at the moment. Range of quality beer with a 6 for €12 tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Any recommendations around Templeogue - my local in perrystown has a decent but static selection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Supervalue Raheny has started stocking a few good ones since they renovated, the Killester Supervalue less so (though you can still pick up some sam adams or brooklyn, but thats the extent) I'm surprised the city centre dosnt have a dedicated offo, it would surely make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Carry Out in Rathborne
    O'Briens in Donnybrook

Both have an excellent selection of alternative beers.
    I find Carry Out a tad expensive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Mollys in Tallaght has a by no means huge but decent selection of quality beers.

Got a couple bottle of old engine oil, bottle St Peters cream stout and a bottle of black chocolate porter there yesterday. fantastic, they do a porterhouse selection too.

in a jock after me tasting last night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I was going to say Martins in Fairview but you got that already :)

Jack Carville & Sons - Lower Camden Street. While not the largest off license they have shelves set aside for different countries so there's a good variety.

Sweeneys - Large selection of wine and a good selection of beer, I go here when I want something really different. mmmm, banana beer. They organise wine tasting some evenings as well.

The Strand on Fairview Strand sometimes has good beers in, it varies though and they mostly stock the standard beer.

Mantel wrote: »
    I was going to say Martins in Fairview but you got that already :)

When your around Fairview, walk up to The Lilac on Phillipsburg Ave, they have the best selection I find, between them and Martins, Fairviews by far the best place for beer.
    I've still had no luck finding River Horse Hop Hazard again, i even asked my girlfriend to drop into the McHughs on Kilbarrick Rd (Im rarely up there, she is though) to see, she asked one of the lads and he answered "Never heard of it, as far as I'm concerned it dosn't exist!" and walked away.
    Needless to say she wasnt impressed.
    http://www.riverhorse.com/
    It does exist!
    I'll ask the lads in Martins to get it, thats where I got it originally

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I've still had no luck finding River Horse Hop Hazard again, i even asked my girlfriend to drop into the McHughs on Kilbarrick Rd (Im rarely up there, she is though) to see, she asked one of the lads and he answered "Never heard of it, as far as I'm concerned it dosn't exist!" and walked away.
    Needless to say she wasnt impressed.
    http://www.riverhorse.com/
    It does exist!
    I'll ask the lads in Martins to get it, thats where I got it originally
    The distributor was/is California Wine Imports, so you can always drop them a line. But I've not seen it in a while: they might not be bringing it in any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

BeerNut wrote: »
    The distributor was/is California Wine Imports, so you can always drop them a line. But I've not seen it in a while: they might not be bringing it in any more.

They've imported Red Branch cider a few and I know Deveney's stock that sometimes so if don't have much luck getting it straight from California Wine Imports Deveney's might be ablet to order in a box for you.
    When your around Fairview, walk up to The Lilac on Phillipsburg Ave, they have the best selection I find, between them and Martins, Fairviews by far the best place for beer.

Nice! I'll be making a trip up there tomorrow, never even knew it was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Redmonds of Ranelagh.

Also to be noted is Superquinns selection of beers at the moment. Range of quality beer with a 6 for €12 tag.

I would check this offer is still on, i have been taking advantage of the 6 for 12 for a few months but the store in blanch's shelves were practically empty last week (bar the porterhouse muck) and the signs had been removed. I hope im wrong i cant get enough of the sierra nevada pale ale..perfect friday night beer.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance of Dublin but any of those in the city centre? Or more specifically, around Busaras.
    It will only take 10 minutes on the 130, 31 a or b, 29a, 32, 20b or any other number of buses that go from eden quay (and go past busaras) to Fairview, and the offlicences (Martins and the Lilac) would be well worth your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Deveney's, Dundrum.

Advertisement