Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving without notice?

Options
  • 17-03-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I currently work for a large national company and have a good job. However, I have been offered the opportunity of a lifetime with another company which I have been hoping to work for for a long time. My current notice period with my employer is one month, however, the new job requires me to start in 2 weeks. I need my current employer for a reference, as I would not get most jobs I apply for in my field without the experience I gained from working there. I do not want to burn any bridges with anyone, but this is an opportunity of a lifetime, one which may not come up again if I don't take it. How can I negotiate a shorter notice period with my current employer, or what if they refuse to let me work a shorter notice period? I really don't want to turn down this job. I may be sorry if I do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

When you applied for your new position, did you not indicate the notice period you had to give? Most employers would ask this as a matter of course.

You're right though. It's always good to leave on good terms, as you'll be needing your old employers for references later on.

This happened to me many years ago. My new job wanted me to start sooner, so I spoke nicely to my old boss who agreed to let me go with two, rather then four weeks notice.

In short - either explain that you cannot start sooner to your new company, or ask very nicely if you can leave your current job with a shorter notice period.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sarahlulu

Are you due any holidays from you current employer> Perhaps if you explained your case 2 weeks holiday could be taken in lieu of notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi, thanks for the replies. They asked me what my notice period was and I advised it was one month. They asked me to try to negotiate the notice period and the job start date is non-negotiable basically (not in those terms obviously!). Because of the nature of the job, it is in high demand and they could fill the position quite easily, I am extremely lucky to have been offered the job. I just don't know if my HR department/Manager could be sticky about it as I was recently promoted within the company, but I just feel that I am not being challenged and that my skills are not being put to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I had to negotiate a shorter notice period as well a few years ago, so obviously the main concern my manager had was that I could complete my work and hand over anything else to one of my colleagues. So before I handed in my notice, I had a rough plan in place to show that he would not be seriously inconvenienced by my leaving. I'd recommend you do something similar - try and pre-empt any concerns your manager has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

are you sure a reference from them will be "that" important in the future ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement