Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Wish I hadn't started my trial at stupid o clock. I'll be raging when that runs out and I've to wait til the store goes back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭eco2live

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Are the vids of the games?

http://www.justin.tv/teamsp00ky/b/285960966

Kung lou dominated the tournament. Nearly everyone used him. Infinites and glitches where banned of course. (so you can only do half an infinite?? :rolleyes:)

What struck me from watching it was how much zoning was going on. Whole rounds of nothing but special moves. Justin and a few others had their 40% + combos down. Very relaxed tournament and people where joking a lot. Few comments and jokes about people slagging the sticks even after PDP fronting up the 20k. I am sure it will be edited.

I am sure people are not using most of the characters to their potential yet but I don't know if MK9 has the depth to last in the long term. Early days.

One annoying thing was the lack of costumes that made it hard to distinguish players. In verses matches you would think that the colors would vary more then red to dark red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

eco2live wrote: »
    One annoying thing was the lack of costumes that made it hard to distinguish players. In verses matches you would think that the colors would vary more then red to dark red.

This is one thing that annoys me a lot about the game. Some characters are easy to tell apart, like Sindel mirrors, but others are barely noticable at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I remember watching a smoke mirror in a UMK3 tournament and the commentators had to reassure the watchers the costumes were, indeed, slightly different shades. :D

Another little indicator Netherrealm don't quite "get" tournaments yet. I am sure they'll address it in Super MK9 Arcade edition deluxe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Played a few matches online this morning (won em all:D) and the amount of teleport abuse is amazing. The lag wasnt that bad but enough to make me block after i dashed forward incase my opponent used a teleport attack. Im sure i looked real stupid if you watched the vid and didnt realise lag was involved :P

Played two matches where there was minor lag and i could react to a Smoke teleport attack, but still kouldnt komplete the end of my Scorpion kombo (jumpkick - teleport - jumpkick -EX teleport)

Gonna go have a look at that PDP tourney, toodles

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Ok, You know what? A-trak was correct.

One of you needs to run a MK9 tournament. And I am going to offer some advice, despite, myself, being exceedingly bad at running them.

If any of you want to play in one and think, nah, someone else will, you're wrong because everyone is thinking that. Man up and do it. You'll get help I promise.

Here's what to do:

Pick a Saturday. Yes, a Saturday, no one comes on a sunday, weekdays are usually difficult too.

Start a thread here looking for players. Open a poll. Also guage interest as to which system is being used. Most of the SF players have dual modded sticks but I suspect the average MK player will use one of those pad things people keep telling me about :P So the choice will be important.

If people want to take it seriously, they should be able to get a pad converter online, one of the best Irish SF players, the hound, uses a PS3 pad with a converter.

Charge between 5 (if you just want to pay costs) or ten (small prize money) for the tournament per person playing.

Roll into XGC on Liffey St on the day. Plan for the sign ups to run from 12-2 and the tourney to run 2-6. Rent 1 machine for every say 3-4 people there.

Run a groups into double elim tourney. There WILL be a couple of the SF players along to help you out. It's just the way we roll :P

If you give me enough notice, I may be able to record the tournament in HD. This will mean if someone searches for "mortal kombat tournament Ireland" they will find you.

Then grab a few beers after the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Minus the beers, that's pretty much what I did for WoH =3

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

eco2live wrote:
    Few comments and jokes about people slagging the sticks even after PDP fronting up the 20k.

From my friend's facebook post, it sounds like one of the sticks was actually broken & noone realised :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Skarlet will be available sometime in the next few weeks along with some "free stuff."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/301922/news/mortal-kombat-dlc-character-in-next-few-weeks/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Tokido just said he's practicing hard at MK aswell as MvC3. He's taking part in some sort of online Q&A being broadcast here: http://www.elive.pro/en/watch/HdTVrNERIxdM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

bout half way through mastering all fighters......takes some patience to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

How do you master a fighter and how do you know if they've been mastered?

Also with regard to babalities, how do you find the input code or do you have to work it out for yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Risteard wrote: »
    How do you master a fighter and how do you know if they've been mastered?

Also with regard to babalities, how do you find the input code or do you have to work it out for yourself?
    100 victories, 100 ality's,150 xray moves, 10,000 pints of blood spilled and 24hrs playtime per character.
    Nekroplis, It's in the extras, check stats

Online, they're all over the place, all at jumpong distance, smokes is down back down forward down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

100 victories, 100 ality's,150 xray moves, 10,000 pints of blood spilled and 24hrs playtime per character.
    Nekroplis, It's in the extras, check stats

Online, they're all over the place, all at jumpong distance, smokes is down back down forward down

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭TVSAdamwest

Is anybody else having trouble with dashing in their combos. If I cant get the dashs down I cant do any decent combos:(.

You can now play online on PS3 without the use of a Kombat Pass until the PSN Store is back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Digital Foundry did a comparison of the 360 and PS3 versions

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox360-vs-ps3-round-31-face-off?page=3

Both games are almost identical but the 360 version has slightly better graphics in game, owing mainly to better particle and lighting effects.

Both version run at 60fps in game, the only time the game drops below 60fps is during fatalitys and when the screen goes black after you connect an X-Ray attack, and again the 360 performs slightly better then the PS3 here (if you watch Mileena's X-Ray attack there is a long pause between the last stab and her knee to the face on the PS3 compared to the 360) but seeing as these are cut scenes this has no effect on gameplay.

The cut scenes in story mode that intertwine each fight are actually not rendered in game, but are movie files pre rendered from real game assets to give the illusion of seamless transition. Due to the space available on a Blu Ray disc, these scenes are much better quality on the PS3.

The PS3 version does have extra content with Kratos and 3D support, but neither of these matter to hardcore fighting game fans seeing as Kratos is banned from tournaments (playing as or fighting against him on or offline is a waste of time from a competitive standpoint), and your never going to be playing this game competitively on a 3D TV. That said, its a huge plus for midcore fighting game fans and casual gamers in general.

We all know the netcode is awful, but having played both versions it seems X-Box lives general superiority to PSN makes a bad situation slightly better. So overall, the PS3 version is the one to get unless your a hardcore fan, then its 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Wasn't there also an issue where the 360 one didn't use patches unless if it was online?

Voa wrote: »
    Wasn't there also an issue where the 360 one didn't use patches unless if it was online?

Yup, you need to be connected to X-Box live (a Silver account will do) for the real time patches to be applied, otherwise it reverts back to the day 1 build.

This was to get around Microsofts charge for additional patches, I think it costs $40,000 for a software patch. This way they can keep doing the patches dynamically untill they're happy with the balance and then release a software patch, only paying for one patch.

Sony do things differently though, as all the patches released so far for the PS3 version work offline no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

J0hnick wrote: »
    The PS3 version does have extra content with Kratos and 3D support, but neither of these matter to hardcore fighting game fans seeing as Kratos is banned from tournaments (playing as or fighting against him on or offline is a waste of time from a competitive standpoint)

Why is this exactly? I haven't played the Playstation version, so I've no idea what Kratos plays like. What is it that makes him so unplayable?

deathrider wrote: »
    Why is this exactly? I haven't played the Playstation version, so I've no idea what Kratos plays like. What is it that makes him so unplayable?

That he's not on both consoles.
    If a 360 player shows up to a tournament that allows Kratos, they're suddenly placed in a game where they have no matchup knowledge of one of the characters, which isn't exactly fair.

deathrider wrote: »

Tom Brady said Kratos is the 2nd worst character in the game after Baraka, console exclusive characters are banned by default, regardless of how good or bad they are. All the console exclusive characters in Soul Calibur 2 (Heihachi on the PS2, Spawn on the X-Box and Link on the Gamecube) were banned when it was still played competitively.

On one hand, the person who does not play on the console with the exclusive character is at a disadvantage, as they do not know the matchup. On the other, it makes running the tournament more difficult for the organizers if a player mains Kraots but say the tournament is on the 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Sairus wrote: »
    That he's not on both consoles.
    If a 360 player shows up to a tournament that allows Kratos, they're suddenly placed in a game where they have no matchup knowledge of one of the characters, which isn't exactly fair.

That makes perfect sense.
    J0hnick wrote: »
    Tom Brady said Kratos is the 2nd worst character in the game after Baraka, console exclusive characters are banned by default, regardless of how good or bad they are. All the console exclusive characters in Soul Calibur 2 (Heihachi on the PS2, Spawn on the X-Box and Link on the Gamecube) were banned when it was still played competitively.

So, he's also sh1te? At least I don't feel like I'm missing out by not playing the Playstation version then.

Cheers for the info, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

tom brady can go take a flying leap, baraka is legend!
    also anyone notice the teleport abusers online? if i have to beat one more teleport spammer using cryax sektor scoprpion or smoke,grrrrrrr! :mad:

also anyone notice the teleport abusers online? if i have to beat one more teleport spammer using cryax sektor scoprpion or smoke,grrrrrrr! :mad:

Teleport spammers in MK? Naaaaaah :pac:

Joking aside though, dem tele spammers are annoying as **** XD And I'd know, I spam the **** out of Sheeva's stomp :D

Sairus wrote: »
    Teleport spammers in MK? Naaaaaah :pac:

Rumor has it Ken likes Fierce uppercuts to :pac::pac:

Teleports are grand as you can block them easy enough. Like other fighting games there are ways around spamming any moves.

Sometimes the lag is a pain as you know you have blocked a teleport and it makes it through. Same for xray.

Update in two weeks with DLC etc. I hope that sorts out the lag. Bumps and nerfs have been happening along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Had my first proper go of Online play last night (PS3). I did enjoy it, even with the odd bit of lag and couple of spammed moves. But the way i look at it, if they spam, just spam back :D.

Had 6 matches with a guy and won all 6 in a row, needless to say, i was a happy boy!!

Anyone fancy setting up a Boards room later on tonight for some fights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Spent all day yesterday training with Quan Chi, learning juggles, overheads blah blah blah only to play online this morning and have lag make it impossible for me to do any of mah juggles :( Input timing is very strict on almost all of his juggles compared to say Scorp and Subby. :( Makes me so sad as Quan Chi is a BAMF with an awesome voice

Advertisement