Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OriginalRazer

Cheers for the vid man. Gonna watch it shortly. The VGTV thing with Brady/PL was good last night, I missed all the interviews with Hector and Paulo etc. though :(

All the best,
    Razer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Necron

Any more words of any more DLC in the works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Necron wrote: »

nrs said there will be no more DLC....but with them its hard to know

Necron wrote: »

NRS have something planned but what it is exactly eludes me.

All the best,
    Razer

NRS have something planned but what it is exactly eludes me.

All the best,
    Razer

options: dlc char, umk9, mk10, mk vs ki (not just a pipe dream anymore :p) s.monks 2

what prop will happen, nothing :pac: nrs/midway always create fake hype.ie skarlet, if it anything it be sm2 imo,i dont see umk9/mk10 till 2013/2014

• Advertisement

options: dlc char, umk9, mk10, mk vs ki (not just a pipe dream anymore :p) s.monks 2

what prop will happen, nothing :pac: nrs/midway always create fake hype.ie skarlet, if it anything it be sm2 imo,i dont see umk9/mk10 till 2013/2014

UMK9 wud be awesome but i doubt it, mk vs ki wud be vary hard to get going, wud love some mk1/2 classic skins like mk1 cage, mk2 kung lao etc.

sm2 wud also be kool nrs need to handle it by themselves

All the best,
    Razer

S+ kabal, kitana ,cyrax ,radien, kung lao, jax

S tier: sonya, cage , liu kang, freddy, sub zero, reptile

A+ tier: kenshi, rain, scorpion, smoke, kano, mileena

A- tier: ermac, cyber sub, shang tsung, sheeva, sektor, nightwolf

Mid tier: baraka, stryker, quan chi, noob, skarlet

Low tier: jade, sindel

just a revision of the personal tier list i posted a page or two back,learned a few things that changed some of the top tier char matchups

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

S+ kabal, kitana ,cyrax ,radien, kung lao, jax

S tier: sonya, cage , liu kang, freddy, sub zero, reptile

A+ tier: kenshi, rain, scorpion, smoke, kano, mileena

A- tier: ermac, cyber sub, shang tsung, sheeva, sektor, nightwolf

Mid tier: baraka, stryker, quan chi, noob, skarlet

Low tier: jade, sindel

just a revision of the personal tier list i posted a page or two back,learned a few things that changed some of the top tier char matchups

I just wish to point out a couple of things here.

You put Kung Lao into S+, even though without his block strings now he has to work hard to get any kind of damage? Not to mention, all of his specials except the teleport are unsafe now. IMO, Kung Lao is nowhere near his former self, he's A tier max.

And Mileena? A tier? I find that hard to believe too. She has some of the best pressure and block strings in the game, and very safe specials. The only real downfall with Mileena is her wake-up game; she has no armour. Mileena is definitely one of the stronger characters in the game.

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    I just wish to point out a couple of things here.

You put Kung Lao into S+, even though without his block strings now he has to work hard to get any kind of damage? Not to mention, all of his specials except the teleport are unsafe now. IMO, Kung Lao is nowhere near his former self, he's A tier max.

And Mileena? A tier? I find that hard to believe too. She has some of the best pressure and block strings in the game, and very safe specials. The only real downfall with Mileena is her wake-up game; she has no armour. Mileena is definitely one of the stronger characters in the game.

on mileena, i present this as evidence,may be a bit old but since mileena has stayed same since day 1 while everyone bar radien,lao and shang have got better
    http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?8844-Mileena-is-fun-but-doesn-t-have-what-it-takes-to-win-a-major-here-s-why

safe specials? :confused:
    bite/ex bit punish full combo by most of cast
    roll/ex punish full combo,
    tele/ex (even with sais) can be uppercuted or aa comboed, just lot of people dont deal with but it is no way safe :P
    instant air sai is here ONLY safe special, normal sai's puts her at minus frames

your right that she gots no armor besides xray but she has a awesome wake game, roll on wake up ****s pressure up
    and her block strings (of which there are 2 if dont count d4 tricks) need meter! other char build meter on block strings,mileena has to use meter to do hers

on kung,
    tiers are done by matchup yes? name me 3 bad matchups for kung......there isnt, he has one maybe two 4-6s,thats why hes still top
    ye kung has been toned down but im sure youll argree be needed to be
    you still cant ever jump at him, and he gets ok damage,it just looks bad when compare to cyrax, but he doesnt need major damage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I finished story mode last night, so have all characters unlocked.

The combo system in this game is just annoying and even after fifteen years, they still can't make an MK game that feels properly responsive.

I enjoy watching high level play of this game, but really don't enjoy playing it.

• Advertisement

on mileena, i present this as evidence,may be a bit old but since mileena has stayed same since day 1 while everyone bar radien,lao and shang have got better
    http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?8844-Mileena-is-fun-but-doesn-t-have-what-it-takes-to-win-a-major-here-s-why

safe specials? :confused:
    bite/ex bit punish full combo by most of cast
    roll/ex punish full combo,
    tele/ex (even with sais) can be uppercuted or aa comboed, just lot of people dont deal with but it is no way safe :P
    instant air sai is here ONLY safe special, normal sai's puts her at minus frames

your right that she gots no armor besides xray but she has a awesome wake game, roll on wake up ****s pressure up
    and her block strings (of which there are 2 if dont count d4 tricks) need meter! other char build meter on block strings,mileena has to use meter to do hers

on kung,
    tiers are done by matchup yes? name me 3 bad matchups for kung......there isnt, he has one maybe two 4-6s,thats why hes still top
    ye kung has been toned down but im sure youll argree be needed to be
    you still cant ever jump at him, and he gets ok damage,it just looks bad when compare to cyrax, but he doesnt need major damage

I see your point on Mileena, but take her hit box into account when you try to punish those specials. Example; If Mileena rolls into a block vs any character, she's unsafe in the air only, and at that you need to be quite precise to punish it for high damage.
    Now, take Scorpions, Sektors, Ermacs, Noobs teleport for example, it's entirely unsafe on block. There are even a few frames after landing that they can still do nothing and end up eating a full, non-air-to-air combo.
    Mileena is unique in this aspect.

As far as KL is concerned, I'd like to do a bit of match-up testing with him, I'm not convinced he's that strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I finished story mode last night, so have all characters unlocked.

That's hardcore Chopper.

Even being the plot whore that I am, I abandoned story mode about 7 fights in, and ended up watching the cut-scenes on Youtube. :pac:

I see your point on Mileena, but take her hit box into account when you try to punish those specials. Example; If Mileena rolls into a block vs any character, she's unsafe in the air only, and at that you need to be quite precise to punish it for high damage.
    Now, take Scorpions, Sektors, Ermacs, Noobs teleport for example, it's entirely unsafe on block. There are even a few frames after landing that they can still do nothing and end up eating a full, non-air-to-air combo.

As far as KL is concerned, I'd like to do a bit of match-up testing with him, I'm not convinced he's that strong.

yea fair point on the roll block there but shes up in the air for 46 frames so there plenty of time to punish imo but i do argee her "air roll" is a special case

i still think kung is top 5 in the game,i think though(like i had to do with baraka)
    i think kung players need to "take it back to the drawing board" :rolleyes:
    and reinvent how kung plays because of all the changes he cant be as effictive with previous strats

maybe i should of put mileena in S tier,she not S+ 100% imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Wow Kitana's that high?

I feel bad now lol

Been on a challenge tower spree in the last 2 days, up to 224, great mashing 1 and 2 and cancel into a special

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Wow Kitana's that high?

I feel bad now lol

Been on a challenge tower spree in the last 2 days, up to 224, great mashing 1 and 2 and cancel into a special

kitana and kabal best two in game imo
    id say cyrax 3rd (till they "fix" him)
    ye the challenge tower is great fun alright and the reward for beating it 2 ;)

kitana and kabal best two in game imo
    id say cyrax 3rd (till they "fix" him)
    ye the challenge tower is great fun alright and the reward for beating it 2 ;)

Kabal is hand's down the best character right now. He has no weaknesses.
    But yeah, Katana is pretty godlike actually. I've been playing around with her too, there's a lot more to her than her silly D+1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

You forgot broken tier;

LIU KANG:P

Nutrient wrote: »
    I'm salty.

Probleme? :v

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

nah

u guys missed today's rare casuals actually

Nothing but BB and MK9 lol

Was gdlk

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

nah

Was gdlk

well there was sf4 as well/ But omg 2 BB set ups, thats a first.

• Advertisement

nah

Was gdlk

I heard. Chuey told me. Even Azza was playing. :L

nah

Was gdlk

:( stupid mw3 makin me stay up late and miss my train in

@Letters: What's your opinion on the Mileena vs Kabal matchup? In your experience, what are the numbers?

@Letters: What's your opinion on the Mileena vs Kabal matchup? In your experience, what are the numbers?

on numbers depends you ya ask :rolleyes:
    kabal forum have 6-4
    mileena have 5-5
    this match is hell for baraka btw (3-7):( but im workin on it

only matchup exp i have is playin the very odd online(bad)kabal which isnt worth much,and originalrazers kabal,saldy only ever played him online (so far ;))

imo its 6-4 kabal
    mileena cant roll much because of saw
    iagb owns iasai, 3% more damage aswell
    ex dash owns all mileena offense,projectile or block string
    mileena has no armor so d3 only option with ndc strings (her d1 ass)
    just like anyone against kabal her jip game not a good idea
    d4 is a bad idea is this match2,saw destroys it
    kabal has better resets than mileena aswell

mileena can telekick agb but iagb can hit her,then lead to full combo or reset
    roll under mistimed gasblast,has to have perfect spacing thou
    im not acualty 100% but i think roll wins against dash,ill have to get shannon to help me check 2moro
    baiting ex/dash is only really thing can do with kabal to get damage on him (like pre patch lao,never jump or overpoke,bait the spin and hope they mess up :p)

razers opinion on this be nice2
    hes played my mileena enough....
    but razer have i played u with baraka since the patch????? :confused::confused::confused:
    i member that koth session(with kano player) was pre patch cause i was bitchin i didnt have my full screen ex yet :cool:

mileena can telekick agb but iagb can hit her,then lead to full combo or reset
    roll under mistimed gasblast,has to have perfect spacing thou
    im not acualty 100% but i think roll wins against dash,ill have to get shannon to help me check 2moro
    baiting ex/dash is only really thing can do with kabal to get damage on him (like pre patch lao,never jump or overpoke,bait the spin and hope they mess up :p)

razers opinion on this be nice2
    hes played my mileena enough....
    but razer have i played u with baraka since the patch????? :confused::confused::confused:
    i member that koth session(with kano player) was pre patch cause i was bitchin i didnt have my full screen ex yet :cool:

Hmm, you wanna do me a favour and check how strict the timing would be on d+3ing him out of his f+3,1 dash cancel block strings? I know it's possible, I just don't know how hard it is.

Also, yeah Razer's opinion would be nice on this matter.

Hmm, you wanna do me a favour and check how strict the timing would be on d+3ing him out of his f+3,1 dash cancel block strings? I know it's possible, I just don't know how hard it is.

Also, yeah Razer's opinion would be nice on this matter.

hmmm im not sure shannon will be able to do ndc's haha :p

i think the adv given on his ndc's are different to what normal he ndc's off

in theory thou, if kabal has adv and he d3's before u,he'll win and continue pressure
    so armor is an "easy" answer as long as he doesnt ex dash
    and with liu kang and kenshi, u have 4-5 armor attacks excluding xrays(does ex downsword have armor?,i know charge and upsword do)

hmmm im not sure shannon will be able to do ndc's haha :p

(does ex downsword have armor?,i know charge and upsword do)

I don't think downsword does, I know his telepunches don't. I'll have to check, I don't remember. The problem being, you need meter to escape those strings... I'm thinking more along the lines of poking your way out of it.

I don't think downsword does, I know his telepunches don't. I'll have to check, I don't remember. The problem being, you need meter to escape those strings... I'm thinking more along the lines of poking your way out of it.

ye telepunch def doesnt
    ye if ya can time the d3 and kabal doesnt d3/d1 then yea grand
    but sometimes using meter aint bad espically if the char that can build it fast (block string or projectiles)
    so at the use of 1 meter,u do damage and stop yourself being chiped to death,losing to kabals d3 or ex dashed,but of course like anything escapes attempts can be baited ou

like i use meter with baraka and mileena like a mad man cause i can build it back easily enough with baraka frame traps or mileena iasai, so sometimes the risk of not having breaker is worth using meter, plus against kabal breaker aint the worst think not to have as him combo damage output like just 30%

...plus against kabal breaker aint the worst think not to have as him combo damage output like just 30%

You know, I never thought if it that way. But you're right, meter is better used on EX moves than anything else in this match-up. And as for Kabal's knee reset, does that put him at full advantage? Is there even any point in pressing buttons when it lands, or should I just be blocking furiously as soon as I land?

I have no experience with this match-up, and I need all the info I can get. I suffer against online Kabals pretty bad, but then again that's online... :v

• Advertisement

I have no experience with this match-up, and I need all the info I can get. I suffer against online Kabals pretty bad, but then again that's online... :v

know what u mean,your kabal is my liu kang :p try as i might :o

to my knowledge kabals reset has he highest adv of a reset than involes a normal,if only baraka had the same adv on his knee :(

Advertisement