Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat 9 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Great news about MK taking home the proverbial bacon. However, it seems to have lead to this news

As seen on the Video Game Awards just recently some very good news for NetherRealm winning Fighting Game of the Year, Mortal Kombat 2011... it's what it now being said about NetherRealm Studios that is something that perhaps none of us expected... NetherRealm Studios taking a break from Mortal Kombat. While no more DLC is planned for Mortal Kombat 9 and Mortal Kombat certainly is not dead, rather just a 'hiatus' from the franchise according to this article. It seems as though we will be seeing something else from NetherRealm Studios... but what? Credits to Karried for the link.
    Source: http://testyourmight.com/forum/content.php?2320-NetherRealm-Studios-Giving-Mortal-Kombat-a-Rest

Which then leads to Gamespot saying pretty much the same thing. Whatcha think folks? I reckon Boon's eyeballing a KI reboot...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

ye when i read this was like damn no more mk so,thanks very much WB...

then started to this about it more,its good mk10 wont be out next year,even if its not for two years,at least mk9 will get more time to grow, know they said no more DLC but id hope they still hotfix jaxs random adv bs as well as a few other slight issues that still exsist

KI reboot very possible and imo a mk vs ki game wouldnt be a shock either

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Guys, this is actually a good think NRS are clearly pissing off the top players by the constant patching so letting it breathe and mature (seeing as it's still selling too) is absolutely a positive. Over in Capcom land it looks like 1 year is the norm (including a very minor patch of a couple of changes to prevent glitches or a hugely overpowered character) for people to dig into a game now, how long has MK managed to go with out a balance patch

I agree with the SRK article, only a fool would think work hasn't begun on MK10 in the background, or perhaps even they'll take a stab at DC again (although if they do that, they need to do it right this time. I'm a huge comic fan but there's no way I could enjoy that game).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Good job on MK for winning the award. I can't really wrap my head around the engine (or, more specifically, the block button); but as far as "Total features including", "Amount of content" and "Production value on the story mode" go, I was very impressed and it definitely deserved to win something for its effort.
    how long has MK managed to go with out a balance patch

I thought MK was patched pretty regularly both for balance and glitch removal?

the game has recived 5 patches since release,
    3 were balance changes,
    1 to improve netcode
    and the last one which had balance things and also changed some of the games mechanics like the wakeup system(which was so needed)and "the dash nerf"9which was a real game changer)

ive had mixed feelings about how much its been patched,in reality this is NRS's 1st shot at a solid tourny worthy game since the brokeness of all the game before with infins etc so im glad this game doesnt have these problems.....well i say that but cyrax,smoke,noob,jax have some really dodgy stuff goin on that i think should maybe be removed

in regard to buff/nerfs,this has been a double edged sword, while things like kung lao were rightfully sorted out and certain unplayable char acutaly made useful like baraka (yea i know hes always been my main so im a little bias on that but im sure anyone will argee before the last patch baraka was **** tier,now hes like a solid B,he still lacks in alot areas but ill take what im given)

BUT... alot of unneeded cryin was done world wide by the mk kommunity with stuff that didnt need to be cried about,an example would be radien,took away all his adv from certain strings ,took away his v.blast frametraps,nerfs his tele which even messed with some bnbs, radien was fine and now hes a shell of a elder god that he was,still good though but has to played so so different,while certain other rushdown chars keep all there adv and get armour? and jax,dear god,so many buffs for a char that needed nothing done to him since day 1,
    there are very few chars who are the same excluding what dash nerf/wakeup changes did that are the same as day one and the game is not a year old yet,like my other main (mileena) is the same since the demo,no changes whatso ever,no armour, and in a game were so much has changed and armor was handed out a bit too losely the ones without it do feel it,8 char dont have armour if im thinking right atm

i just hope a hotfix is released to deal with jaxs f4,1,3 string,there are ways around it but the random adv glitch is just stupid,i dont mind so much about his corner otg or smokes ex smoke bomb...or even cyrax, at this point i think its kinda funny hes unpatchable "the leaky boat":rolleyes: oh and the shang glitch is a bit bs also with its randomness

i think also that mk10/umk9 will take so long to come out because a new engine will be used for it to get rid of the problems with having a 3d engine/hitboxes a 2d field (who those who dont know mk9 engine is just the mk vs dc engine turned 2d which created fair few hitbox errors,reptile im looking at you!!) also i hope the "input bug" goes in next game,its rare but annoying

• Advertisement

(who those who dont know mk9 engine is just the mk vs dc engine turned 2d which created fair few hitbox errors,reptile im looking at you!!)

I didn't know that, that's cool (or terrible? What do the pure MK heads think of MKvsDC?)

The Marvel 3 games use the Resident Evil 5 engine. Apparently it's quite robust.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I thought MK was patched pretty regularly both for balance and glitch removal?

That's the point, it's patched so often it's been pissing off the top players because they discover good stuff, win tournaments, and it gets nerfed because of their hard effort, and it prevents people learning deeply about characters because they keep changing.

It took something like 8 years for the top tier MvC2 characters to finally get settled, although obviously that's a more complext situation than MK (team synergy introduces whole new dynamics beyond "which character is best"), it's probably time to say done and dusted with MK and let the community do it's thing.

They never patched button config though, which is pretty hilarious seeing how they go on about wanting to be community and tournament minded all the time :)

That's the point

Ah, I misread your tone as positive.
    They never patched button config though, which is pretty hilarious seeing how they go on about wanting to be community and tournament minded all the time :)

I always forget how ridiculous the button config is until DOC rolls around.

dear god yes! and and a decent pratice mode,mks is very poor

the only thing ive seen from a tourny getting stuff nerfed was kung lao really because of the low hat adv and the orignal spin/damage but yea having to change setup how ya play matchups so many many in short period even annoys me so id top guys have it worse

@ baal,
    i liked the idea of it,played the hell out it,still own a copy and bust it out sometimes but still i think the game was a fail on alot of levels,glitchs,infins,balance issues,the flash and green latern were the bob and law on tekken in this at tournies and that was annoying2,
    even though it doesnt effect gameplay i thought the whole dumbing down of fatalities for a 15s rating kinda dumb,yes i know superheros dont kill people and all that but i duno,just seemed censored like, in the way manhunt2 was and cant stand censorship

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

does anybody play sonya? i need hella practice vs her

• Advertisement

Jun_DP101 wrote: »
    does anybody play sonya? i need hella practice vs her

i have a day 0 sonya (as in i can do the dive kick combos and ex carthwheel combos) cant do any the stance cancel stuff, i think razer said he was thinking of picking her up,if its online sonya destroying u dont worry about it,shes one the chars whos better online as its harder to punish divekick online

S+
    kabal, kitana ,cyrax ,radien, jax

S tier: mileena, kung lao, sonya, cage , liu kang, freddy, reptile

A+ tier: kenshi, rain, scorpion, smoke, kano, sub zero, sektor

A- tier: ermac, cyber sub, shang tsung, quan chi, skarlet, noob, nightwolf

Mid tier: baraka, stryker, sheeva,

Low tier: jade, sindel

just for my own amusement made some changes to my tier list for mk
    have had my eyes opened on a few matchup and also took into account the discussion i had with kuro last time i posted it so fair few changes to it
    agree? discuss?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Lar_

just for my own amusement made some changes to my tier list for mk
    have had my eyes opened on a few matchup and also took into account the discussion i had with kuro last time i posted it so fair few changes to it
    agree? discuss?

Nice list letters . One thing i would change though is sektor and move him up a tier i think he is the most underrated character and is much better than cyrax.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Lar_ wrote: »
    Nice list letters . One thing i would change though is sektor and move him up a tier i think he is the most underrated character and is much better than cyrax.

What? Really? I agree he's pretty good, but he's nowhere near Cyrax.
    Also, nice to see you found your way here Lar! :D

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    What? Really? I agree he's pretty good, but he's nowhere near Cyrax.
    Also, nice to see you found your way here Lar! :D
    hello there kuro here is why i think sektor is better than cyrax.

against cyrax you can out zone him just block his net and throw a projectile at him then wait for him to teleport and punish him. as long you can avoid his net and keep a breaker he shouldnt be hard to beat

sektor is better at zoning ( rockets, homing rockets a flamethrower for anti air and that b1 poke that has ridiculus range) . he has a 50/50 that leads into 40% combos and ends with a reset he can do big damage of a jump kick or a well timed teleport and fininsh his combos with a flamethrower or the up missile and his jab is quicker than johnny cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Is Kitana still good?

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Is Kitana still good?

yes nothing has changed since ya asked me this last :pac: lol
    i have a tier list on last page

play who u like though,not the tiers :)
    sure i play raka :p

hello there kuro here is why i think sektor is better than cyrax.

against cyrax you can out zone him just block his net and throw a projectile at him then wait for him to teleport and punish him. as long you can avoid his net and keep a breaker he shouldnt be hard to beat

sektor is better at zoning ( rockets, homing rockets a flamethrower for anti air and that b1 poke that has ridiculus range) . he has a 50/50 that leads into 40% combos and ends with a reset he can do big damage of a jump kick or a well timed teleport and fininsh his combos with a flamethrower or the up missile and his jab is quicker than johnny cages.

sorry lar but i really dont agree sektor is better than cyrax

sektor is of course better at zoning as hes a zoner but cyrax is a damn obstacle course,he isnt just his net, his bombs and not being able to jump at him at all (id jump at baraka before id jump on cyrax) also hes damage output is damn stupid at times and he has armor while sektor doesnt and a xray u can combo after,u really cant use ex moves against him for fear of not having breaker

sektor is no chump though,that ex rocket is godlike and as u said he gets damage from his tele but block hes tele and big damage,even with his extele which is not save and is -7,so baraka and kung can spin it and reptile can dash it and in the mirror match its punished for a full combo,
    sektor 50/50s? take it you mean his u3,which is useless outside a jip really,its 20 and 29 frames so shoudnt u used for pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Ok finally picking up a Sub for this game. Kitana needs too much exicution for me (great in casuals but I get horrible tournament nerves, really just look at my hands next time)

So either Sub Zero, Quan Chi or Jax. . . . . . . . . decisions decisions

Ok finally picking up a Sub for this game. Kitana needs too much exicution for me (great in casuals but I get horrible tournament nerves, really just look at my hands next time)

So either Sub Zero, Quan Chi or Jax. . . . . . . . . decisions decisions

ya doing it for matchup ya dont like or just to have a second main?

sub zero is like playin chess game with clones etc, sick corner pressure2

jax is solid all rounder with many tools,awesome normals,and that 2 bar corner combo he has at the min,damn,hopefully is f4,1,3 bs is fixed at some point though

quan chi is a beast imo,rune traps are just filth! not really a pick up and play kinda guy but if bit of time invested hes very good,there a few REALLY detailed quan guides on tym,crap wake up game though

• Advertisement

dang shang tsung has some stupid rushdown,
    frametraps that if u dont escape launch you for an unbreakable combo....damn

yes he is a beast alright i'm still practising with him.
    strange that no one uses him much he is so good.

yes he is a beast alright i'm still practising with him.
    strange that no one uses him much he is so good.

detroitballin313 just won a major with him in the us so id say a few more shangs be popping up,was a really good one on vsm

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Plumpynuter

Did you see the price of MK9 (download version on XBL)? 69.99 :eek:

Its 29.99 in the shops. I like digital versions as they play straight off the hard drive without needing a disc and also they are there to download in the future. But at that price, fug that.

Stops me trading them when I get salty also :)

Did you see the price of MK9 (download version on XBL)? 69.99 :eek:

Its 29.99 in the shops. I like digital versions as they play straight off the hard drive without needing a disc and also they are there to download in the future. But at that price, fug that.

Stops me trading them when I get salty also :)

yea and online mk is a salt monster :p

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OriginalRazer

i have a day 0 sonya (as in i can do the dive kick combos and ex carthwheel combos) cant do any the stance cancel stuff, i think razer said he was thinking of picking her up,if its online sonya destroying u dont worry about it,shes one the chars whos better online as its harder to punish divekick online

Could've swore I posted this yesterday but as my post has seemed to have vanished I'll reply again lol

Yes been thinking of picking up Sonya. My controller needs more scars :)

Jax is there too but do I really wanna be a "kunt"? lol

Quan Chi is just dirrrrrrrrty. Only found out yesterday you have to block his f+1,2, trance low lol :P

All the best,
    Razer

btw razer i know i mentioned this to you at TYH but i really have to show you the anti-kabal tech ive made have with raka, kills wake up without resets ;),oh yeah it works on jc's red kick 2 :D
    DR is bailing over later for some games,ill show him :p

also today been told a way for me to dodge saw and build meter,have to check it out for myself though,it sounds bit dodgy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Am going to try hunt down a copy of this in HMV tomorrow since I have a voucher. Have some characters in mind who I want to start practicing with when I get it, Stryker of course being the priority. :cool:

Naphiel wrote: »
    Am going to try hunt down a copy of this in HMV tomorrow since I have a voucher. Have some characters in mind who I want to start practicing with when I get it, Stryker of course being the priority. :cool:

stryker...irish s+ tier
    (reo the guy who came 2nd at evo put up some vids of him playing stryker online so i think even the americans are seeing his godlikeness)

but who else thinkin off?
    im really tempted to pick up shang tsung, hes so fun but so hard to use(for me anyway) so its a bit of double edged sword

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

stryker...irish s+ tier
    (reo the guy who came 2nd at evo put up some vids of him playing stryker online so i think even the americans are seeing his godlikeness)

but who else thinkin off?
    im really tempted to pick up shang tsung, hes so fun but so hard to use(for me anyway) so its a bit of double edged sword

Well you should always practice with him anyway. You like playing him obviously and it can only make you a better player to challenge yourself.

Turns out I'm sick so I couldn't go search for a copy myself today but my brother was going into town so I asked him to look, so there's still hope.

I'm thinking Rain, Sub Zero, Raiden, Smoke and of course everyone's favourite, Liu Kang. Well mess around with them and see who I like most out of the lot to get started on first.

Advertisement