Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Parade

Options
  • 17-03-2011 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭

did anyone here go in for it?

we are just back.

what did you guys think of it? i felt it was quite short but the chicken, and the floats were good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thehunter

hi
    it was absolute rubbish in my opinion
    this should be scrapped as its getting worse and shorter,
    allow companies back in to it like years ago when it was good craic.
    I dont want to see prams being pushed as part of the parade
    i can see that anyday
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I pretty much gave up on the Cork parade a long time ago, it really is the most pathetic parade we could possibly have.

For crying out loud, they put more effort into the parades across the U.S. and most of them are fake Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I was there with my wife and two young children.
    It was pretty short at 40 minutes.
    The quality of the floats was poor, compared to the previous year. There were hardly any decent visual floats, the chicken stole the [weak] show.

Nice as usual to see a mix of cultures taking part, the Chinese participation was nice and fun, India also brought colour to the event.

But all in all I think it was poor and I wondered why many companies in Cork wouldn't enter a float and someone mentioned there may be a charge for such floats entering the parade, can anyone confirm this?

On a positive note, the weather held up and the Black Ash Park & Ride was a great service as usual.

Went to the Clarion for a drink and food for the kids and home now, a nice day overall, better than being in work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Agree with the others, thought it was very short with no decent floats of note apart from the chicken. The Cork parade has got steadily worse year after year. Even the quality of the stalls on the Grand Parade/South Mall was poor as well this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

My son enjoyed it and I did!!

There was a lack of atmosphere though, I mean what is the enjoyment of seeing a person from a different nationality walk down a road with a buggy and a few kids...?? can they not do something while they're walking? some of them did like their traditional dance and everyone enjoyed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

I work in a school, the verdict of the kids and the adults that were there was that it was pretty awful.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thought it was really short aswell we got in for 1.15 and it was over at half past..Thought the fota float was the best but agree they really need to bump it up a little. There are so many people & groups that would love to take part in it, I am surprised that Corca Dorca and the likes of the Sculpture factory dont do anything (sorry if they did in advance)...

Think aswell it is after getting very rough I went this year with may manfriend and my parents and that was ok we could handle the rough and tumble but I went with my friend and her little boy before and i was shocked at how everyone was so pushy even other parents didnt seem to think about the kids at all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I thought it was ok. A few extra bands and some company floats would have made it a far better parade. Not enough music is a major failing and easily fixed. Not enough floats - easily fixed - a few lorries with dancers/bands/puppet shows/ funny dressup characters etc would make it far more interesting and about an hour long - job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Absolute shíte. Fair enough for the different cultures and groups in Cork, I have no problem with them and I thought they saved the parade. Other than that, what was it? Some Catholic group carrying the Virgin Mary while praying? Chickens and eggs?

It was much better years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Colibri wrote: »
    Absolute shíte. Fair enough for the different cultures and groups in Cork, I have no problem with them and I thought they saved the parade. Other than that, what was it? Some Catholic group carrying the Virgin Mary while praying? Chickens and eggs?

No one can argue with that. Music X 10 Floats X 10 Groups X 20 Colour X 10 and craic X 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Colibri wrote: »

To be fair, it is a religious holiday too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

D-Generate wrote: »
    To be fair, it is a religious holiday too

yes, I suppose you are right but my blood boiled a little when I saw the 'Pray the Rosary' bunch coming through. These are the same nuts who gather around the town and push their nonsense on people. I'm sorry, but religion for me hits a raw nerve, if people want to pray let them do so in their own homes, pushing it at others is just a form of brainwashing in my opinion.

..anyway, I'm going off topic, pity the parade wasn't any better, is there a feedback forum for comments etc? Is the council responsible for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My son enjoyed it and I did!!

There was a lack of atmosphere though, I mean what is the enjoyment of seeing a person from a different nationality walk down a road with a buggy and a few kids...?? can they not do something while they're walking? some of them did like their traditional dance and everyone enjoyed that.

I complained about this three years ago. Glad to see they took heed!!!!!

Cork's parade has changed over the years. Many complints were lodged over commercial vehicles just washed [some even not] with nothing else drivng in the parade, it was seen as an ad.

But it was also a showcase for companies to show off their NEW fleet of vans and trucks and there was reasonable fee for this.

Things came to a head when a truck rolled over someone's foot and that was the end of the trucks.

Trucks as floats were banned after a young child fell off one down Horgan's Quay as they prepared for the start, the float was not even moving, so that was the end of that.

Then we got hit by severe weather and after a Hurricane laid waste to every parade going child under 7 years of age, they were banned from the March parade and a new summer parade was organised for a couple of years to facilitate them.

With all these incidents, there is not much left TBH.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

gbee wrote: »

Then we got hit by severe weather and after a Hurricane laid waste to every parade going child under 7 years of age, they were banned from the March parade and a new summer parade was organised for a couple of years to facilitate them.

With all these incidents, there is not much left TBH.

What?

Faith wrote: »
    What?

Ask a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I complained about this three years ago. Glad to see they took heed!!!!!

You complained about what???

-Corkie- wrote: »
    You complained about what???

What I quoted in my reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

What I quoted in my reply.

A few trucks that normally carry round live music???.

I give up. This explains silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

This thread is becoming like a trip to an alternative dimension!!

• Advertisement

I think the problem in this thread is what's known as an age gap. I synopsised why the Cork parade has declined over the last 50 years.

BTW, I forget to add that the Army, Navy Gardaí, Civil Defence used all march in the parade as well at one time, impressive but this just generated more complaints from the public.

Advertisement