Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get bike restricted?

• 17-03-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I've just completed my IBT and i'm looking to pick up a motor.
    I have my eye on the BMW F650gs, probably around an 04reg as that's my price range.
    So as the title says, where would I get it restricted? Or any other bike for that matter.
    Also what sort of cost is involved?
    Any help or advice would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

restricting kits are easy enough to find, the major problem at the moment is getting a certficate that an insurance company will recognise.
    The trap being that you will know its restricted but they want certain proof and whatever you use has to be legally watertight for your own safety and peace of mind should an accident happen.

The best thing but not the cheapest is to go to the manufacturer and get them to do it , so go to BMW and they will do it for a price, but they will not fit a kit you buy it will have to be their kit which jacks the price up more, either way you are screwed.

I just bought a CBR 600 and restricted it it cost almost 500 for the restrictor kit and fitting as i went down the line of a removable ecu that can be taken off when my licence matures. the only reason i did this was the insurance company were just plain ignorant about it they would not accept anything other than a manufacturer fitted restrictor, as they claim anything else is not reliable.

But what ever you do get it done correctly as if an insurance company can get out of paying you they will find a way and the first thing they will look at after a claim will be the restrictor..just my 2 cent from my personal and very recent experience in this...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Where you located man? Might be able to point you in the direction of a garage that supplies the FI kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

i didn't have any issue getting my bike restircted and certed, quinn took the cert without any question and i got mine done by Chopper from poleon motorcycles (and his isn't exactly the most modern and professional of workshops great cup of tea though), he did it for less then half the price cause the kit was second hand. any garage that does Fi kits and it seems that pretty much everyone will give you a cert that all the insurers take. just ring around your local garages and bike shops, the going rate is 250 for an Fi kit and cert, but that depends on the bike can be up to and over 500.

Except for the emptying of your wallet it's an easy process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    i didn't have any issue getting my bike restircted and certed, quinn took the cert without any question and i got mine done by Chopper from poleon motorcycles (and his isn't exactly the most modern and professional of workshops great cup of tea though), he did it for less then half the price cause the kit was second hand. any garage that does Fi kits and it seems that pretty much everyone will give you a cert that all the insurers take. just ring around your local garages and bike shops, the going rate is 250 for an Fi kit and cert, but that depends on the bike can be up to and over 500.

Except for the emptying of your wallet it's an easy process.

The entire process costs money in fairness, but quinn and the 2 other insurance companies seem to want to screw you as much as possible, i have my car with them for the last 7 years and when i decided to get the bike they were nothing but ignorant. but since they were half the price of the other two i decided i would jump through their hoops, the problem is the certificate, for me i had to get a new restrictor fitted as they would not take the word of the garage where i bought the bike as it was not a honda garage so i had to go and get the ecu from honda and it could not be a second hand ecu either.

Did you find a restrictor by the way am interested to know how ya got on,
    Did you try BMW and if so what price did they quote you?

Advertisement