Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Broadband in Dundalk?

• 17-03-2011 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭

Hello

I am moving to Dundalk this weekend, so I'm wondering if i can get UPC broadband in the middle/center of the town? Lines are closed atm because of st. Patricks day, so asking here.
    I found some old threads about this, but no information.

If there is no UPC available, what else is good? I am looking for good ping rather than speeds and no stupid monthly caps as i like to stream videos alot, not bothered with p2p.

Eircom is overpriced, very bad reputation and connection.
    Digiweb is a joke.

Was wondering, what is SMART broadband like? I know they are part of Digiweb, but still it's a fixed line with line rental included, unlike Digiweb requiring eircom line, which i would avoid by any costs

Also what is WiMax like now? Is the technology there yet? Those guys been boasting it to be better than ADSL or cable for pings, but from what i read in threads, it's still considered to be more like mid-band than proper wireless broadband

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

raymix wrote: »
    Hello

I am moving to Dundalk this weekend, so I'm wondering if i can get UPC broadband in the middle/center of the town? Lines are closed atm because of st. Patricks day, so asking here.
    I found some old threads about this, but no information.

If there is no UPC available, what else is good? I am looking for good ping rather than speeds and no stupid monthly caps as i like to stream videos alot, not bothered with p2p.

Eircom is overpriced, very bad reputation and connection.
    Digiweb is a joke.

Was wondering, what is SMART broadband like? I know they are part of Digiweb, but still it's a fixed line with line rental included, unlike Digiweb requiring eircom line, which i would avoid by any costs

Also what is WiMax like now? Is the technology there yet? Those guys been boasting it to be better than ADSL or cable for pings, but from what i read in threads, it's still considered to be more like mid-band than proper wireless broadband

Any suggestions?

No UPC broadband in the area, just get Smart 10mb package for 39.95e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭raymix

ehh, thought so. No Discovery channel for me then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

have smart BB 10MB in Dundalk and I only get max 2.5MB in the evenings.... wouldn't recommend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

ive digiweb here in drogheda and ive had no problems with them at all

8mb/1mb package

1209111987.png

@mada999: cheers. I think i will be able to fix that. Anyway, it's not the speed i am after here, but super low latency, was using different midbands whole last year, terrible gaming experience

@dazdrog: i ordered smart. I know it's part of digiweb, which is a shame, but has nothing to do with eircom. Digiweb itself needs an eircom line, so extra money for useless line rental i will never use. Shame they still charge such ridiculous prices. So i'd stay away from both. Don't take me wrong, i used to have Digiweb around 4 years ago, it's great service for latency, but DL caps and line rental drives people away, and between smart and digiweb:
    smart is €39.99 for 10 megs including line and 170GB cap...
    digiweb (closest to smart) however costs €34.95 for 7 megs, 100GB excluding line. Line from eircom costs ya extra €25

not made of money here :]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

i dont have a eircom line at all, im on digiwebs 8MB/1mb metro. wireless all the way, wouldnt go near anything to do with eircom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Try Net1.ie if ye havent already orderede smart...! I get consistant 6mb up and down and very low pings (sometimes less than 10...!). Very happy customer.

Rats

ratsam wrote: »
    Try Net1.ie if ye havent already orderede smart...! I get consistant 6mb up and down and very low pings (sometimes less than 10...!). Very happy customer.

Rats
    used to have them few years ago in Bettystown. Got 7 megs package and lazy installers flirting with my girlfriend. Poor speeds, never more than 15KBps down, charged me over thousand euros per year back then.

However i would recommend to stay away from them. Their signal is unencrypted and your IP can be easily stolen and used by anyone in particular zone. They rang me after 2 years to ask for their equipment (antenna) back, i was long gone from the appartament.
    Here's a tip for ya. When your subscription is over, change very last digit of your IP (router settings) and enjoy free internet someone else is paying for. How's that for security? Used to have broadband one additional year no charge, used 5 different IPs, all worked. Stay away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've been following this forum for several years, the Net1 of a few years was dependent on Irish Broadband connections back when they were at their worst. The packages and services offered back then were different aswell. They've never had a 7 megs package though...

As for your latvian girl, who cares?!:rolleyes:

Anyone looking for broadband, I'd take the word of current customers over customers from a few years ago on fictional broadband packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭chrabo

i did order net1 as well few days back. U allways have some days cool off period, ive necer here anythig bad about that ISP, have smart for 2 yers and u cant watch youtube pay for 10mb and get 4-5mb. Digiweb wireless its quite nice but this download limits...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭chrabo

ratsam wrote: »

Rats

can u do speedtest and put here results? thx

Advertisement