Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing glue/ sticky stain from wood

• 17-03-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what the best way is to remove the sticky residue left behind from stickers/ tape from wood?
    Some of the kitchen cabinets have some very sticky stuff left on them, and just water and soap with a sponge isn't doing it.
    I don't want to use a rough sponge as I don't want to scratch or damage the wood.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

You need to dissolve the adhesive with solvent and remove with a rag before the solvent evaporates.

Any of the following will dissolve the adhesive but are all highly flammable so keep away from naked flame, ventilate and wash down with damp cloth when finished to remove all traces;

They will also react to varying degrees with plastics or varnished surfaces.

Petrol - good but stinks
    Brake and clutch cleaner or carb cleaner - Aerosol can from motor factors
    Thinners - smelly but not as bad as petrol
    Paint prep/degreaser
    Acetone - AKA nail polish remover
    Perfume/after shave
    White spirit
    Turpentine
    Methylated spirits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

This is what you want. Not sure where you can get it, but my local electrical wholesaler carries it

SER-130_3VD1W72U.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Some white spirits on a rag and a quick wash with a soapy cloth and rinse.
    You should have white spirits in your shed! If not then you local hardware store or decorating shop, or Woodies etc.
    A small bottle will do ya fine and it's a handy man to have around.
    Some people may have a small reaction to it on their skin, so if your the sensitive type a pair of heavy duty rubber gloves may be in order!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Lynfo

Nail polish remover works a treat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pacino

As mad as this sounds cover it in mayonnaise and leave for a while. It should wipe away. We used it on our kitchen when it was installed. Worked a treat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks for all the replies - plenty there to look into. Might actually try the mayonnaise first as I actually have some, if not the white spirits, or the Label Remover product.

Advertisement