Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Braga, Europa League 2nd Leg, KO @ 20:05

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Muppet wrote: »
    It was You.;)

I'm serious,

It's one thing to raise your game against United and Chelsea
    , your problem is that the players then think they are actually at that level and don't need to put in the same effort against the weaker teams.

No change there then from the last few years.

Kenny is the man to drill that out of them but it will take time and a few signings.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

K-9 wrote: »
    No change there then from the last few years.

Kenny is the man to drill that out of them but it will take time and a few signings.

Yeah I agree, It's not Kenny Or wasn't Roy for that matter, the blame is with the players, theres too many ordinary players . lucas , ngog, maxi, skirtel, johnson, and theres more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

any spare tickets for the final lads? i'm looking for 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

flahavaj wrote: »
    First full EL game I've watched this season. What a wretched competition. Terrible atmosphere, worse football, two pretty dire teams on the night, empty seats galore. Will not be trying that any time soon again.

By your own admission it's the first game you've watched this season. You should perhaps watch a little more before passing judegement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    By your own admission it's the first game you've watched this season. You should perhaps watch a little more before passing judegement.

I've seen enough.

Maybe that was just Liverpool though, who knows. Thursday is usually the night I play ball myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Should this thread get unlocked yet?:pac:

Yeah I agree, It's not Kenny Or wasn't Roy for that matter, the blame is with the players, theres too many ordinary players . lucas , ngog, maxi, skirtel, johnson, and theres more

There's about 5 or 6 players we could lose before Lucas, Johnson and Skyrtel which gives you an idea of the task ahead.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

flahavaj wrote: »
    I've seen enough.

Maybe that was just Liverpool though, who knows. Thursday is usually the night I play ball myself.

Liverpool play muck football and the atmosphere at Anfield for the Europa league reflects that and the fact they've been spoiled for years with CL football.

The tournament still throws up some excellent games with cracking atmospheres. Don't give up on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Just saw the Dublin parade on the news - was that a giant Liver-bird??

It was You.;)

I'm serious,

It's one thing to raise your game against United and Chelsea
    , your problem is that the players then think they are actually at that level and don't need to put in the same effort against the weaker teams.

Two things we don't have- Quality squad and consistancy. Tbf, this season was wrote off before it started.

I don't think there's a fan amongst us that doesn't agree a massive clearout is needed tbf.

Still though we were without 4 of out better players tonight for different reasons so its not all doom and gloom :)

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Two things we don't have- Quality squad and consistancy. Tbf, this season was wrote off before it started.

I don't think there's a fan amongst us that doesn't agree a massive clearout is needed tbf.

Still though we were without 4 of out better players tonight for different reasons so its not all doom and gloom :)

As you know I have been critical of the quality in your squad for over a year now and had many an argument on here to back up that opinion and place the blame for that where it lies. You are right that many pool supporters are begining to realise how poor the squad that roy and kenny inherited is. I suppose it will also dawn on them where the majority of the blame for Liverpool's current predicament lies.

As you know I have been critical of the quality in your squad for over a year now and had many an argument on here to back up that opinion and place the blame for that where it lies. You are right that many pool supporters are begining to realise how poor the squad that roy and kenny inherited is. I suppose it will also dawn on them where the majority of the blame for Liverpool's current predicament lies.

You have been following Pool for so long now you should know that the lack of squad depth has been an issue for long enough.

You have been following Pool for so long now you should know that the lack of squad depth has been an issue for long enough.

I did, it was convincing rafas diciples that took so long, some still aren't convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Just lumping the long ball up to Carroll who has so much yet to prove. The lad has done nothing in his career yet.

That was awful football tonight and I would be ashamed to be a liverpool fan .

Long ball football does it for Stoke and should not be for Liverpool. did ye spend crazy crazy money of a donkey to get on the end of long balls for the next five years??

Ye will win nothing with that style of play.

dedon wrote: »
    Just lumping the long ball up to Carroll who has so much yet to prove. The lad has done nothing in his career yet.

That was awful football tonight and I would be ashamed to be a liverpool fan .

Long ball football does it for Stoke and should not be for Liverpool. did ye spend crazy crazy money of a donkey to get on the end of long balls for the next five years??

Ye will win nothing with that style of play.

Suarez and Carrol haven't even played together yet. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Kennys lack of european experience as a manager coming to the fore. Dare I say Hodgsons EL nous may have brought ye home. ;)

Totally disagree. Too many average players, that's why we're out. Big job ahead.

Have to agree with this clown. Way too much drivel on the team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

If you have a target man like Carroll in the box you need wingers who can cross the ball in from the byline, our "wingers" cant even get to the byline, nevermind float in a good cross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Disappointed we went out tonight, even though it's a ''Mickey mouse cup ''. We defo needed width. Maxi, Kuyt and Cole kept playing to central and Full backs didnt get beyond the defence often enough. Think it shows over two legs that Wilson shouldnt be played on the left in a makeshift back 3 or 4.
    Not forgetting that Braga were well organised and the other two portuguese teams both qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

This "omg suarez nd carrol yayayayaaya qualityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" nonsense has to stop. Yes they're good players and all, but until we have players who can actually get the ball to them in such a way that isn't a 75 yard hoof from left to right it's just not going to happen for us.

On the match, whoever decided we should play 4-4-2 is a complete gimp and that Jay Spearing substitution is right up there in the league of crazy substitutions of this millenium. He's just such a pointless player, at least Poulsen is tall enough to win headers.

We badly need attacking midfielders/wingers that aren't slow, aging and past their best and a left back, because Danny Wilson is not a left back.

• Advertisement

This "omg suarez nd carrol yayayayaaya qualityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" nonsense has to stop. Yes they're good players and all, but until we have players who can actually get the ball to them in such a way that isn't a 75 yard hoof from left to right it's just not going to happen for us.

On the match, whoever decided we should play 4-4-2 is a complete gimp and that Jay Spearing substitution is right up there in the league of crazy substitutions of this millenium. He's just such a pointless player, at least Poulsen is tall enough to win headers.

We badly need attacking midfielders/wingers that aren't slow, aging and past their best and a left back, because Danny Wilson is not a left back.

Maybe it's just me, but could we wait until they are on the pitch first before the smart comments.

The rest we all know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Proves my point from last week once again.

Massive-game-raising-cup-finalists

Liverpool FC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Liam O wrote: »
    LOL

Sleep it off son. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

I did, it was convincing rafas diciples that took so long, some still aren't convinced.
    ddhEc.gif

Yakult wrote: »
    If you have a target man like Carroll in the box you need wingers who can cross the ball in from the byline, our "wingers" cant even get to the byline, nevermind float in a good cross.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

barryd09 wrote: »

Liverpool FC.

nope.

it just proved...

1. with Carroll in the team, more than ever, we need wingers.

2. Suarez is already a huge player for us.

3. even though he's done great, Kenny's not a complete miracle worker; he can't transform an underperforming team into a madly consistent top, top one within a couple of months.

last night was an embarrassment; and last night the fault must certainly be lumped on the players. how apt to use the word 'lump'. we were back to the days of Crouch up front. it seems our players are so scared to play football at times that they use the default 'lump it' option once they see a tall guy. it was horrendous, and i can't imagine, after seeing how we've played so often under Kenny, that he would advocate such militant use of the tactic.

he had us high enough up the pitch, but the players just showed no compsure.

Skrtel can fúck off at this stage; i'm sick of the sight of him. he's not worth it if he's only any good with Agger in good form beside him. the amount of times he'd be one-on-one with the striker, with the striker having his back to goal, and he'd foul him, was just untrue.

but the main thing is we need wingers so, so, so, so, so much.

Mister men wrote: »
    ddhEc.gif

Good tactic, I love it :D , if you can't counter a pov , post a stupid picture or video.

Your absence from the match thread last night was noticable.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Liverpool FC.

So Liverpool drawing a must-win game in an actual cup competition "proves" your point that Liverpool only raise their game for important matches? A point which you originally made after a league win?

Kess73 wrote: »
    Braga shall be crushed. Driven to the slaughter before the baying crowds. The air will echo with the sound of lamentation from their women.

They shall learn the riddle of steel, by Crom they will.

Liverpool 4 - 1 Sporting Braga

dead-kermit.jpg

What I want to know is why did this not materialise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Depends on which bit you are talking about.

The footy result came about through Braga being far better than I expected them to be away from home, and Liverpool not playing as I hoped they would on the night.

Braga deserved their result over the two legs as they were the better team over 180 minutes.

But if you are asking about the picture of a dead muppet, well it is early days yet on that one Thomas. :D

• Advertisement

Actually pillaging the town of Braga and murdering it's men would have been a tad uncalled for.

Really, though, "enthusiastic prediction is wrong" is as explanatory an answer as you're going to get.

Good tactic, I love it :D , if you can't counter a pov , post a stupid picture or video.

Your absence from the match thread last night was noticable.;)

if you keep talking about people being disciples to Rafa and mindlessly following something, don't expect people to necessarily want to engage constructively with you.

not everyone has that patience.

someday you'll actually understand that Rafa didn't cause the vast majority of what is wrong currently with this club, though he takes his share of the blame for buying poorly, and having us play poorly, wheile he was on a tight budget he didn't see coming. he didn't do well enough.

you try to come across as some sort of bastion of truth when you come in here, as if one day you'll enlighten us as to what's actually been wrong with the club as if our supporters are delusional. the majority of us are not. but it's almost impossible to have a reasonable discussion with someone who...

1. doesn't want to ever admit his opinion might be a little flawed at times, and

2. who thinks he knows what's 'wrong with the club' better than the club's own supporters do.

Depends on which bit you are talking about.

The footy result came about through Braga being far better than I expected them to be away from home, and Liverpool not playing as I hoped they would on the night.

Braga deserved their result over the two legs as they were the better team over 180 minutes.

But if you are asking about the picture of a dead muppet, well it is early days yet on that one Thomas. :D

I'm used to the unrealistic aspirations by now Kess.;)

Having watched the first leg I just couldn't see you thumping them, I though they had a good chance of getting the away goal which would have made your task quite difficult. I though a 2 1 to pool with braga going though was a likely outcome.

SlickRic wrote: »
    if you keep talking about people being disciples to Rafa and mindlessly following something, don't expect people to necessarily want to engage constructively with you.

someday you'll actually understand that Rafa didn't cause the vast majority of what is wrong currently with this club, though he takes his share of the blame for buying poorly, and having us play poorly, wheile he was on a tight budget he didn't see coming. he didn't do well enough.

you try to come across as some sort of bastion of truth when you come in here, as if one day you'll enlighten us as to what's actually been wrong with the club as if our supporters are delusional. the majority of us are not. but it's almost impossible to have a reasonable discussion with someone who...

1. doesn't want to ever admit his opinion might be a little flawed at times, and

2. who thinks he knows what's 'wrong with the club' better than the club's own supporters do.

Ahh Bless

In fairness to The Muppet, he may not be a supporter of the club, but he's more obsessed with it than some supporters I know. Or at least, he spends more time obsessing over it.Not sure if there's a distinction.

Tbh I wouldn't worry about the Muppet, just WUM, but there's a fair few Pool fans that you just can't discuss this with too.

One or 2 blamed Rafa last night too!

Sappy404 wrote: »
    In fairness to The Muppet, he may not be a supporter of the club, but he's more obsessed with it than some supporters I know. Or at least, he spends more time obsessing over it.Not sure if there's a distinction.

Not obsessed, Just enjoying the circus that's all
    Tbh I wouldn't worry about the Muppet, just WUM, but there's a fair few Pool fans that you just can't discuss this with too.

Well he did buy the majority of the dross on show last night did he not?

I'm used to the unrealistic aspirations by now Kess.;)

Having watched the first leg I just couldn't see you thumping them, I though they had a good chance of getting the away goal which would have made your task quite difficult. I though a 2 1 to pool with braga going though was a likely outcome.

Only thing that turned out to be unrealistic in my original post was my hope and prediction for last night's game.

But then again if I had felt that Liverpool would not win last night, I would probably have been met with a post about me not believing in the team I support.;)

At least the second part of my post was realistic though.:D

Not obsessed, Just enjoying the circus that's all

Well he did buy the majority of the dross on show last night did he not?

Well seeing as he was manager for 5 years, yes. He also had to sell players as did Hodgson and Purslow and barring Meireles who Rafa was interested in anyway, the rest of the buys were crap.

There is no point discussing this with you as you learn nothing from it.

i blame Rafa too.

but only a normal amount, as do the vast majority in here from what i've seen.

and to call people disciples just because they see the good he did for the club is another thing altogether.

but as you said, there's no point discussing it in certain quarters, because stuff that gets said gets forgotten conveniently a while later in the interests of a cheap dig when we're down.
    Ahh Bless

a very mature response i must say.

• Advertisement

Well seeing as he was manager for 5 years, yes. He also had to sell players as did Hodgson and Purslow and barring Meireles who Rafa was interested in anyway, the rest of the buys were crap.

There is no point discussing this with you as you learn nothing from it.

Difficult to buy decent players when there' no money left because your predecessor has wasted all the money on dross.

i blame Rafa too.

but only a normal amount, as do the vast majority in here from what i've seen.

and to call people disciples just because they see the good he did for the club is another thing altogether.

but as you said, there's no point discussing it in certain quarters, because stuff that gets said gets forgotten conveniently a while later in the interests of a cheap dig when we're down.

a very mature response i must say.

it was the response your post deserved, if you want a more indept one take it to pm.

I use the term rafa's diciples for a section of Poll fans not all , nobody can doubt their existance as we see above. If I was directing those comments at Pool fan's as a whole I would say so.

We get plenty of cheap digs here and we're not down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Difficult to buy decent players when there' no money left because your predecessor has wasted all the money on dross.

Sometimes i wonder if your serious when you post this stuff.........

No money left? LOL And this was Rafa's fault. That whole ownership saga that you must have missed had a bit to do with that too.

Yeah, you're right The Muppet.

Wish you showed this much interest in your own clubs finances tbh.

it was the response your post deserved, if you want a more indept one take it to pm.

it's really not worth my time.

either way, the main thing lacking last night was wingers, plain and simple. previous managers' inability to buy wide men really bites us in the ass in these types of games...and it'll be 10 times more obvious now we have Carroll; whose major attribute above all else is his ability to attack the ball in the air, which he'll never be able to do unless we get quality in from wide.

our control of the game was fine enough. we had the ball high enough up the pitch to start attacks, and had enough possession. but the lack of imagination, and the lack of an option to be able to just give it wide, put pressure on, and get crosses in, was just horrible.

we'll see about 40% of Carroll's capabilities, not even, if we continue to play the way we did last night.

Sometimes i wonder if your serious when you post this stuff.........

Have a look at how much new money Hodson and Kenny have been given to invest and you'll see if I'm serious or not.

Rafa had £104 Million nett over his time which is an average of £17 million a season plus whatever he got from sales on top of that.

Roy got nothing nor did Kenny except what they took in from sales and they didn't even get to reinvest all of that..

Nah in Hodgson's case it is difficult to buy decent players when your standards are much lower.

He brought in five players of his own during the summer, and only one was decent. All the rest fell into the short term older player catagory that he normally goes for.

But the Rafa comments are pretty much a waste of time at this point. He is well gone at this point, and the owners that were there in his time are gone as well.

Rafa is far from blameless during his time as manager, but his bad times are countered with some great moments.

This summer sees the start of a rebuilding programme (yet again), but at least I have some confidence in this rebuild based on the track record of the current owners.

I do think that this summer will see the start of quality players being bought again, and a clearout of rubbish players like Joe Cole, Skrtel etc, and also of players who are past their best due to age.

I also think that there will be a new manager appointed this summer, and I think it will be one of three, but if Kenny stays on I would be happy with that as well.

Nah in Hodgson's case it is difficult to buy decent players when your standards are much lower.

He brought in five players of his own during the summer, and only one was decent. All the rest fell into the short term older player catagory that he normally goes for.

But the Rafa comments are pretty much a waste of time at this point. He is well gone at this point, and the owners that were there in his time are gone as well.

This summer sees the start of a rebuilding programme (yet again), but at least I have some confidence in this rebuild based on the track record of the current owners.

I do think that this summer will see the start of quality players being bought again, and a clearout of rubbish players like Joe Cole, Skrtel etc, and also of players who are past their best due to age.

I also think that there will be a new manager appointed this summer, and I think it will be one of three, but if Kenny stays on I would be happy with that as well.

How much was Hodgson given to spend on top of his sales?

I think Kenny will be given the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

liverpool fc....bahahahaha.

game-raising specialists.

Beat United,thats your season.

and i'll keep saying it,that IS your season.

• Advertisement

liverpool fc....bahahahaha.

game-raising specialists.

Beat United,thats your season.

and i'll keep saying it,that IS your season.

just because you keep saying it doesn't make it true.

ah, simplistic explanations for performances and results.

i sometimes love them the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement