Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statues and Monuments in Dublin

Options
  • 17-03-2011 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Dublin must have more statues and monuments per capita than any other city in the word. There's dozens of them, even one to Prince albert outside Leinster house. Yet quite a few notable Dublin figures have none.

If you had to pick one Dubliner who could be commemorated by a statue or monument, who would it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭cml387

If I could suggest re-instating one it would be the bowl of light on O'Connell Bridge which was supposed to celebrate An Tostal but was nicknamed The Tomb Of The Unknown Gurrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Robert Tressell - he's got a plaque in Wexford St but no statue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Zozimus. Long overdue I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Sir Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Luke Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Des wrote: »
    Luke Kelly.

I remember reading a few years ago about one being in production.

ETA: From Wikipedia:
    The Ballybough Bridge in the north inner city of Dublin has been renamed the "Luke Kelly Bridge" and in November 2004, the Dublin city council voted unanimously to erect a bronze statue of Luke Kelly. However, the Dublin Docklands Authority has since stated that it can no longer afford to fund the statue. Councillor Christy Burke of Dublin City Council has appealed to members of the music community including Bono, Phil Coulter and Enya to help build it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Is there's some trick question on it

You ask how many statues on O'Connell St and the reply might "not sure may 10 or 11"

And the answer is 1, the rest are monuments

I've made a right mess of this Q&A but I've heard it more then once

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Bring back the time in the slime, great ald statue monument that was :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Dublin boxer Steve Collins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ronnie Drew.

I also think some sporting hero's should be remembered.

Sonia O'Sullivan in Cork etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Drummer22

icystove has just released a DVD on the top 15 ststues and monuments with a tour guide as a presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Eileen Gray. One of Ireland's greatest architects, a pioneer of the modernist architecture movement at a time when Ireland's architectural innovations were considered boring uninspired and conservative. A time when few to no women even made any major impact on the architecture scene. She created works that became the obsessive envy of Corbussier himself.
    This woman most definitely deserves a damn nice statue all to herself!

Advertisement