Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunbrody abbey and maze

Options
  • 17-03-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am a school teacher in Kildare and at the momet I am planning their school tour. We have booked the Dunbrdoy famine ship and are looking do something more active afterwards.

Would the abbey and maze be sutiable for 10 year olds? What is the pitch and putt course like?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

The pitch and putt course is around the outside of the Maze, its very basic and holes are short ideal for 10 year olds.
    The Maze is great craic for adults and kids, it will take a while to get to the centre they'll love it.
    There is a coffee shop and craft shop and the abbey is across the road. The Dunbrody famine ship is in New Ross so if I was going out as far as the Abbey I would definitely take in the Hook lighthouse tour it's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

hi vince as far as i know the Dunbrody is not open at the moment and definately isnt on the harbour .... the centre for it is also closed for renovations so i dont know if they have the ship elsewhere where you can view it and tour it....

a call to them will no doubt give you all the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's great to get a bit of local knowledge on these things.

Just a couple of other questions, at the Abbey and Maze, would there be enough room for them to have lunch/run around?

How far would it be from the Famine ship to the Abbey?

Would the Maze/pitch and putt be able to handle 40 kids at the 1 time?

The famine ship tour is booked so all is fine there.

As regards the Abbey and Maze, getting a number has been a struggle but apparently it's only open from May. Our tour is in June so hopefully it will be ok to book then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

If you're down that far you could try the JFK Arboretum which is ideal for school tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

+1 For the JFK. Less than 20 minutes driving from New Ross ;). Large playground, miniature train ride through the forest, great picnic area, lovely lake with ducks, walks through lots of different species of trees and shrubs from around the world. My kids love going :) . Really nice place and great for getting kids to let off steam and tire them out for the bus ride home :D

Enjoy Wexford wherever you decide to visit

DC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

Dunbrody Abbey is about 20 mins from New Ross, the maze is a decent size and would easily handle 40.
    Leaving the car park you walk into an open area that has old converted farm buildings that are now craft and coffee shops, there are picnic tables and plenty of grassy areas.
    Access to the Abbey is across the road.

Check out Google earth there are very good images of the maze etc.. should give you a good idea.

As others have said there is so much in that part of Wexford to see and do, Tintern Abbey, The Hook, JFK Arboretum, Slieve Coillte, Duncannon Fort.

Should be working for south wexford tourism :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Sliabh Coillte is a lovely walk -

If you are deciding between JFK Aboreteum and Dunbrody Maze , I see no contest , it would have to be JFK .

Thank you so much to everyone who replied.

Is the JFK Arboretum free of charge? We may be able to do both time permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Thank you so much to everyone who replied.

Is the JFK Arboretum free of charge? We may be able to do both time permitting.

Here are details of the prices.
    http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/south-east/thejohnfkennedyarboretum/

Since I live cose to it most of my early school tours ended up there. Definately worth a visit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Kennedy Park and sliabh coilte are a day in themselves.

are they doing any work on preservation/restoration at Dunbrody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

Dunbrody Abbey is good, but JFK Arboretum (or Kennedy Park as it's known:D) is fantastic, had many a school tour and day out there as a child and it never gets old at all! Even an adult would enjoy it.

My Opinion would be to do Kennedy Park instead of the Abbey.

Presuming your doing the ship in the morning, you could spend the rest of the day in Kennedy Park, and there's no shortage of space for having lunch there (it's total area is approx. 600 Acres! But very safe)

The kids would absolutely love it!

Ledger wrote: »
    Dunbrody Abbey is good, but JFK Arboretum (or Kennedy Park as it's known:D) is fantastic, had many a school tour and day out there as a child and it never gets old at all! Even an adult would enjoy it.

My Opinion would be to do Kennedy Park instead of the Abbey.

Presuming your doing the ship in the morning, you could spend the rest of the day in Kennedy Park, and there's no shortage of space for having lunch there (it's total area is approx. 600 Acres! But very safe)

The kids would absolutely love it!

Unfortunately, the note has been sent out today that we are going to the Abbey. If we have time we could go to the JFK park.

Hopefully, they will enjoy the abbey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

if yer goin to Dunbrody and travelin from the north of the county, ye could probably still squeeeeze in Tintern or Duncannon fort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

If you do choose JFK Park , you may be disappointed that the miniature railway is closed .

Afaik , the train only runs for the summer months

Advertisement