Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transplanting Seedlings?

Options
  • 17-03-2011 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have cabbage seedlings which are up about 3 weeks and are in little cells about 1.5inches square. They seem to need a bit more leg room so I bought a couple of packs of those mini carboard pots that you can eventually plant into the ground. Has anyone any experience of these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Nutri Eire wrote: »
    I have cabbage seedlings which are up about 3 weeks and are in little cells about 1.5inches square. They seem to need a bit more leg room so I bought a couple of packs of those mini carboard pots that you can eventually plant into the ground. Has anyone any experience of these?

I haven't really used, I am a cheapskate here, the muller yoghurt pot provides a decent sized pot for a good sized plant and cheap plus you can re-use for years to come while you have to buy cardboard pots every year. I just drill a couple of drainage holes in the yogurt pots. I usually fill the pots first with peat and then plant the plant from the cell in the centre of the pot applying gentle pressure and covering the top of the base of the plant plug with peat to stop it drying out and water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nutri Eire

I think next time I will just sow them into these little pots (€2.99 for 48 in B&Q). Save me and the seedlings a lot of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Nutri Eire wrote: »
    I think next time I will just sow them into these little pots (€2.99 for 48 in B&Q). Save me and the seedlings a lot of hassle.

Transplanting works were the seed is expensive or less plentiful. It is more work but you get an even grade of plants.

Advertisement