Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer

Options
  • 17-03-2011 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi I'm currently recieveing the maintenence grant which will stop in the summer, Am I entitled to any payment during the summer months as I currently don't have a job :confused: Can I claim dole for 3 months during the summer and stop when I return to college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Hi, no you can't claim the dole during the summer when you're in college. I'm in college myself so I've started to look for summer jobs. Not holding out much hope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

So basically i'll have no income for those 3 months then yeah? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

James_LWAU wrote: »
    So basically i'll have no income for those 3 months then yeah? :(

Unfortunately yes. To claim the dole you have to be registered with FAS. They won't register you if you're a full time student. If you're a student you're not available for full time work and therefor do not qaulify for the dole.
    You could check in college if there's any financial help
    You can get, like a welfare grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Hi I'm currently recieveing the maintenence grant which will stop in the summer, Am I entitled to any payment during the summer months as I currently don't have a job :confused: Can I claim dole for 3 months during the summer and stop when I return to college?

So...basically you want to be paid for doing nothing during the summer? It doesn't work like that I'm afraid. You can't claim the dole if you're a full time student as you're not available for full time work. Start looking for any type of part time work would be my advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

So...basically you want to be paid for doing nothing during the summer? It doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

Well, uh, it does. Just not for students. And it's not their fault if they can't find a job when there's a serious scarcity of jobs to get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Well, uh, it does. Just not for students. And it's not their fault if they can't find a job when there's a serious scarcity of jobs to get.

Did you even read the rest of my post? I said you can't claim the dole if you're a fulltime student. I'm a student myself but I certainly wouldn't expect the government to start giving me the dole to tide me over for the summer.

Did you even read the rest of my post? I said you can't claim the dole if you're a fulltime student. I'm a student myself but I certainly wouldn't expect the government to start giving me the dole to tide me over for the summer.

Oh, I did. What you said was "It [being paid for nothing] doesn't work like that." Yes, it does. That's what the dole is. It's a support payment from the government for those unable to find work to support themselves.

My point was that you were invoking some sort of vague moral argument about how students shouldn't expect the government to look after them over the summer.

But if they drop out and can't find work, they can expect the government to do so throughout the year via the dole. This actually incentivises dropping out for people in a really tight financial situation.

So why do you have a moral objection to students wanting to be able to draw the dole over the summer? If I didn't have support from my parents I'd be absolutely screwed for the summers, due to the difficulty of finding work at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Out of interest what attempts have you made so far since January to secure a summer job?

tommy21 wrote: »
    Out of interest what attempts have you made so far since January to secure a summer job?

Nice ad hominem. Actually, I was working all through Christmas and am going on a J1 visa this summer, where I'm currently lining up work. But I have supportive parents and a full scholarship that means I can save up money.

Strangely enough, not everyone has those things. Shocking, I know, right?

Remind me again what my personal situation has to do with any of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

There's a way out when it comes to those things. Where about do you live? Try looking for jobs in Northern Ireland. You can easily register for work in UK while still being an Irish citizen. If you're in college, ask your careers service how to look for jobs in Northern Ireland. If you're too far away, you can always re-locate. This will be viewed positively on your CV.

If you're not willing to work in Northern Ireland, try working on farms - especially vegetable farms. Although it's hard to find jobs there, it's still worth a shot.

For now, though, save up your grant for a few train or bus tickets, if you can. You'll need them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 James_12

Get a job like the rest of us ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Nice ad hominem. Actually, I was working all through Christmas and am going on a J1 visa this summer, where I'm currently lining up work. But I have supportive parents and a full scholarship that means I can save up money.

Strangely enough, not everyone has those things. Shocking, I know, right?

Remind me again what my personal situation has to do with any of this.

Nope, was simply asking what attempts you had made, as I thought you were the OP and was actually genuinely interested. You sound like a horribly defensive person though, I'd try knock that nasty attitude on the head before heading on the J1 - I think you'll find working in America a little more difficult then it is here :)

Oh and you must have dug out the dictionary for your big word of the day, was it written on your scholarship scroll? :rolleyes:

Advertisement