Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bonkers - Rummy with wild cards

• 17-03-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone else plays Bonkers or it may be called a different game. I am trying to find an online version of it but it may be played with a different name.

It is basically 7 card rummy with wild cards, which start at aces and go on down to 7's (A, K, Q, J, 10, 9, 8 7). Players that are left with cards when a person gets out add up the value of their cards in hand and add to the table (pen and paper essential with a table drawn up of players and points per round). These are then added together at the end of the 8 rounds and lowest score wins. Then the losing players pay the value of their total points multiplied by a pre defined amount, we usually play 5c a point so you would usually finish on 60-100 so could win 3-5 quid per person. It gets really interesting though as 7 card runs (before dropping) can allow you to either zero your score, double all other players hands, or double their scores. 4 bonkers (wild cards) in your hand also win you the game outright. Another rule is that unlike normal rummy, you cannot pick up a dropped card, you have to pick up the entire discard pile.

There are a lot more rules but hopefully someone will recognise it somewhere!! :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Wow bonkers, that brings back memories, doubt very much if you'll find it on-line :(. By the way if we got a seven card straight with 2 bonks (one in its proper number place) it allowed you to clear your points didn't double other scores though, get caught with a bonk in your hand doubled that hands score and two bonks doubled it again.

We played A to 7 and back up again, you had to drop all seven cards together on both aces and the 7 round. You couldn't rob your own bonk and could only rob a bonk if it was in a 3 or 4 of a kind or either end of a straight.

Christ there used to be so many rows over you had to drop before you pick, guys searching the discards; happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Yeah there are so many variations, another type was kill the bonker, you couldn't make a drop unless you "killed" the bonker so that it couldn't be robbed ie it had to be in the middle of a run. Just a question though, can you remember where you picked the game up from. I would love to know the origins tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Played it in the days when the uniform was coloured green no one plays it now my uniform has switched to blue.

Big game in the Army along with 25/45/110, God the memories of being bolloxed by the 'auld sweat' for making a drop when "it's bloody obvious that yer man has .........". Origins are probably some guard room, 4 very bored blokes with a deck of cards (24hrs can be an eternity).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Funny dat, I learned it at a very young age with the rest of my family and the kicker is my Dad was also in the Army and he has always taught us card games, so you could be on to something about the army origins.

Had a mad weekend last weekend in blighty with a mate that left the isle some time ago and 3 of us played bonkers 'till 6am on the Friday, was amazing. Would really like to develop an online version of sorts....... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

This thread is in bits

• Advertisement
Advertisement