Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Hair Day

Options
  • 17-03-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭

That time has come again, when my hair has become a wildlife habitat, adopting an ecosystem of it's own. Think I saw a robin nesting it somewhere earlier on today. When I go for a shower, there's 30 seconds of silence when I put my head under the shower as my hair absorbs the water to saturation.

Needless to say, I fúcking hate going to the barbers. All that sitting down and waiting, making awkward talk to people (who nearly ALWAYS love cars - I just try and steer the convo towards insurance, thank you junior cert business). Oh, and then the small talk with the barber himself, at least though he's quick and I can hold out for 10 minutes. Surely women must find all that hair kinda a pain in the hole to maintain (or maybe ye're just not as lazy as me)...

So, how do the C&Hers feel about their hair? Is the most maintenance it gets is a quick gel and go or for the ladies a bit of a straighten (or a curl, way to be different!) and go? Would you ever dye your hair some outlandish colour, even for €50 or just for the craic?

Hair... 46 votes

Spend more time doing my hair than I do going out
    0%
    Arra, I'd consider myself a happy medium
    8%
    sock puppetMidnight_EGi like piecoffeelover 4 votes
    Nah, don't give a shíte, just so long as it's not utterly repulsive
    50%
    AoibheannKnifeWRENCHAisling(",)ironictoasterohthebabyrevzseanbmceVeNtInERHunce3hn2givr7mx1scSeren_JackobyteSlow Showbluejay14GrindylowSarahBeep!starling.Ally7CoeurdepirateQueenOfLeon 23 votes
    I consider washing my hair a push
    26%
    challengemasterBertserdegausserxoSmartly DressedsnicketjumpguyDeedeecupcakeChuchoterColm!AndrewJDFlabangavScummyMan 12 votes
    I'm bald
    8%
    DavidiusPygmalionlonghalloweenpockets3d 4 votes
    This thread is weird
    6%
    randylonghornnorwegianwoodsoccymonster 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm going bald and I'm still not bothered getting it cut (been about 18 months) so that should tell you both how much I care and give an idea of how ridiculous it looks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I'm sick of my hair :( been growing it for 3/4 years now and it's just so annoying. I want to get it cut but it'll be a big change if I do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I hate going to the barbers; they always ask what I want and all I can think of saying is "Erm...just cut it." :rolleyes:

Thing is, I can't do anything interesting with my hair. It doesn't grow long, it just grows thick. And I have this stupid cowlick thing. It's really annoying, because I'd love to be able to grow it a little longer and have a fringe, but instead I end up looking like I've been living in a cave for a year or something.

The most I've ever been able to do was get blonde highlights, and they looked pretty good but that costs money and stuff.

Thanks a lot for starting this thread jumpy. Now I'm feeling all self-concious and inadequate now. :(

/puts on hat to cover shame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

My hair Grows Ridiculously fast. I need a cut ever 3-4 weeks roughly just to keep it somebit respectable. When It gets too long, I cant sleep :P I try keep it really short in the Summer though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Thing is, I can't do anything interesting with my hair. It doesn't grow long, it just grows thick. And I have this stupid cowlick thing. It's really annoying, because I'd love to be able to grow it a little longer and have a fringe, but instead I end up looking like I've been living in a cave for a year or something.
    Same here man, it's all the thickness with my hair. I'm safe from any radiation leaks or anything, it's more dense than lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I have to go to the barbers every 2 weeks roughly.
    The effort of fast growing hair and a mohawk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

jumpguy wrote: »
    So, how do the C&Hers feel about their hair? Is the most maintenance it gets is a quick gel and go or for the ladies a bit of a straighten (or a curl, way to be different!) and go? Would you ever dye your hair some outlandish colour, even for €50 or just for the craic?

I get bored with my hair on a scarily regular basis.. I grow it for a while, decide it's getting annoying, get it chopped super short, decide to grow it for a while.. Well, you get the idea. Oh, and my hair grows at an alarming rate, and it also expands (or thickens, whatever) at said rate.

Really, I don't have that much of an attachment to my hair, in the way that I'd say a lot of people (girls especially :P) do. I could easily have longish hair, then just decide one day to get it chopped up into a pixie cut or whatever.

I dye my hair on a regular basis, again out of boredom. I had a purplish-red colour with red streaks recently (had it done for a hair show, was pretty cool) and I decided the red was fading too badly.. So I went a lovely dark purple. It's now washing out fairly quickly, and I think I'd like to go lighter. In fact, I'm actually getting a new colour done on Tuesday (free! \o/).

I suppose it helps that I rarely have to pay for anything to do with my hair anymore - I've done a few different hair shows/events etc so a load of the salons call me reasonably regularly to get stuff done because they know I'm pretty much happy to do anything with my hair! :) Oh, and the last time they gave me a load of awesome professional products. \o/

Someone pick my next hair colour. Not green! :p Otherwise, any outlandish colour goes!

TL;DR: I <3 messing around with my hair, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I used to dye my hair a lot when it was short. Red, purple, blue, blonde. It's been lots of colours. Should I cut my hair C&Hers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

Oh god, I hate my hair and I'm terrible at doing anything with it. Like I've never managed to straighten my hair by myself. Luckily it dries with a nice enough curl so I just wash, brush and let it do it's thing. I get it cut about once every 4 months.

I'm the laziest girl ever. :o:P

Also, I always think boys look less hot for at least a week after they get a haircut. I've no idea why...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

You people complaining about how thick it is is a classic example of people not realising what they've got til it's gone. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

On a slightly related note, anyone doing the Shave or Dye?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I stopped caring about my seemingly uncontrollable, bastarding wavy hair about a year ago. The effort involved in styling it to something I liked was monumental and it would only ever last for around 10 minutes before collapsing pathetically. Now I just shape it into something relatively tidy and leave it at that.

I've toyed with the idea of straightening it but I'm a ****ing man so I couldn't do that.

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Someone pick my next hair colour. Not green! :p Otherwise, any outlandish colour goes!.
    Blue/indigo! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I get bored with my hair on a scarily regular basis.. I grow it for a while, decide it's getting annoying, get it chopped super short, decide to grow it for a while.. Well, you get the idea. Oh, and my hair grows at an alarming rate, and it also expands (or thickens, whatever) at said rate.

Really, I don't have that much of an attachment to my hair, in the way that I'd say a lot of people (girls especially :P) do. I could easily have longish hair, then just decide one day to get it chopped up into a pixie cut or whatever.
    I'm pretty much the same. I use to have really long hair -not because I wanted long hair, I just didn't bother going to the hairdressers for a few years and next thing I knew it was past my waist! Then I got sick of it and cut it all off, let it grow a bit, cut it off again and so on.

I don't really bother with hairdressers much to be honest, I've been cutting my own hair since I was sixteen. Sure my hair is a good awful mess more often than not, but at least it's not cut in a way that annoys me and I'm saving money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I have long hair that's naturally an awful mousy colour. When I was younger I dyed it brown for a while, then I had pink bits in it. I was super cool. Now I have it blonde but that's going out now so I think a trip to the hairdresser is in order although it's so expensive.

My hair is also super straight which other girls say they'd love but believe me you wouldn't. It's flat, it looks dead half the time, it does nothing. So I curl it a lot which isn't great I suppose but it looks a bit better at least. And at the minute it's really annoying because I can't tie it up. I had a little accident with fire a while ago which has left my hair oh so lopsided when it's off my face. So yeah, awful hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Amm I used be a bit of a gel addict. Like from 1st year on I'd spend 5 minutes every morning just gelling my hair.. but I've gave it up this year because I'm too lazy to get up that much earlier each morning!

And I used always dye my hair random colours too.. Well just the tips on the top.. Like so far I've had: Red, Pink, Purple, Blue, Green, Blonde and a rainbow colour. :)

Blue was the most recent and it turned kinda brown.. I have a pic of it somewhere actually.

35884_1301693474703_1601448416_30663656_2431234_n.jpg

So yes :)

Oh also I never go to Barber's because that'd be way too awkward.. I just go to normal hairdressers and let them do it because they do a way better job on it.. The talk usually consists of "Oh you're in 6th year, right?"

EDIT: PS I DYED IT BLUE MYSELF BECAUSE I'M MAD.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I always had really long hair but a year or so ago I got it cut into a traditional bob (I like the one with longer bits at the front but not on me so its the same all around) and I went from feeling fairly meh about my hair to loving it. I'm also dying it plum so when it fades its still a nice reddish colour. So long term its hair cut every 3 or 4 months and a home dye kit every 2 months so its not too expensive really.

The day to day up keep isn't that bad. I have to spend ages straightening after a shower (or its just a really scary, thick mess) and then I don't need to touch it again until I shower again. There are days where my hair doesn't even see a brush. Plus its all short so I play with it constantly, its so fun to fiddle with

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I actually like my hair - it's long and blonde and when it wants to be it's all nice and shiny. However, I straighten it far too much...like, ridiculous amounts but ever since I got it layered like 3/4 years ago it's been an absolute mess when it's not straightened so a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do y'know, we'll worry about it when my hair is reduced to ashes and falls off, leaving me prematurely bald.

I've never gotten it dyed or highlighted or anything, something which most people are surprised at it considering how blonde it is.

Also, in a few years I reckon my hair's not gonna be very blonde at all anymore. There's not enough sun in this country, and I swear it gets a little bit darker every month. Gonna have to emigrate soon lads. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

My hair's thick but the roots kind of get weighed down so after I wash it (L'Oreal Nutri Gloss for shininess ya know) I use volumising stuff before blow drying, give it a bit of a backcomb and straighten the bottom half inch or so of the layers to stop them going flicky. I'm so lazy with it after that though, it's effort to even tie it up for school. I used to hate my natural waves and the colour, but I prefer my hair now to when it's straightened and dyed - there are days when it looks appalling though. It does grow annoyingly quickly so I just cut the fringe myself. Cool story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I have mad curly hair, so if I don't look after it well, I end up with pretty much an afro.

After nearly 20 years, I've finally found a routine that works for me, to make it look the way I'm happy with it. I wash it most days, use spray in conditioner, serum and mousse. Because it's curly I can't brush it when it's dry or it will turn into a fro.

I'd love to be able to do loads of mad things with it, like fringes and cool cuts, but the curls in it are really restricting. I can't get a fringe, without the need of straightening it every day because my hair goes so much shorter when it's dry. If I get layers it ends up sticking out loads.

Basically curly hair is annoying and fragile as fúck. I used to try and straighten it all the time, but after about half an hour it would go wavy again so I gave up on that and I haven't straightened it in about 2 years.

Also, why do all hair dressers feel the need to give me huge 80's style hair when they blow dry it? It makes me look ridiculous.

TL;DR: Curly hair is very high maintenance, but I've finally found what works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Ginger hair is deadly. You are all just jealous. That is all.

I may or may not be ginger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Noble jumpguy, my hair is very odd but my barber / hairdresser is a semi philoposopher / football pundit / observer. Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I'm bald
    I wash my hair when it gets greasy and I go to the barbers only after months of being told that I need a haircut. Sometimes I forget to wash.

I ascribe horrible personality traits to those that do any more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I used to dye my hair a lot when it was short. Red, purple, blue, blonde. It's been lots of colours. Should I cut my hair C&Hers?
    Yes. Sure why not :D

I'm a bit meh about my hair. It's kinda just above shoulder length with a side fringe and it's brown. I usually just wash it and leave it to itself most of the time :P It gets horribly greasy though, and if I don't wash it every second day it looks like I've dipped my head in a chip pan -__- Does anyone else have hair like that?

I do own a straightener, but I'm not sure of its whereabouts. Which is funny, because I was obsessed with having straight hair when I was in school. YAY FOR FRIZZYNESS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Yeah I don't like my hair either.

It's too poofy and it sticks out everywhere and it's pretty thick as well.

I got it cut recently and I actually like it. Although it was cut too short for my liking for it's grown a bit now and I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've long dyed blonde hair down to my hips its wavy by itself but unless im going out its clipped and tied up into a bun.I dye it myself and only every 3 months or so and I get it cut maybe once every year and a half or so?.

I'm really low maintenance with my hair but the only thing I do regularly that takes time is blow dry it because otherwise it drips down my back for hours and hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I have curly blonde hair and Im sick of it. I liked having it long but it became an afro if I didnt gel it regularly. And I hate overhearing myself being described as 'the blonde curly fella'.

Noble jumpguy, my hair is very odd but my barber / hairdresser is a semi philoposopher / football pundit / observer. Yes.
    Gentle Monzo...? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I love messing around with my hair :D It has had to stop in the last year or so now that I'm a poor student, but I used to regularly highlight, lowlight, chop, change, loads of stuff. Now its just highlighted blonde and light brown (naturally very dark brown) and pretty long so I'm thinking of chopping half of it off sometime during the summer and doing something different :D Also nom nom GHD. Couldn't live without it.

I was going to do the shave or dye (dyeing it blue!) but couldn't cos of wards.

Jumpguy, just chop it off yourself, twill be grand ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

My hair has been every colour ever. It was pretty embarrassing tbh. I'd go from pink to firetruck red to black every few weeks from the age of 13 to about 16. Used to straighten it all of the time (used the iron quite a lot too, because I thought having straight hair was the only way it'd be nice), and get it cut once a month. Now.. meh. Since I was about 8, I had a bob cut into my hair cause my friend threw chewing gum into it and properly smushed it in, the bítch, and cause I had a horrible fear of ever having split ends, I'd get it cut really regularly, so it's been sorta the same length ever since (although it was kinda long recently but my ma's friend, the dzope, cut about 4 inches off it a coupla weeks ago.. I WANTED A TRIM, WOMAN). I'll usually fork out the money to get it highlighted blonde and cut every few months now, but tbh I prefer having my roots grown out a bit, it doesn't look as 'done', and my natural colour is kinda light anyway so it blends nicely. It's taken aaaaaaaaages to find the proper products for my hair, cause it has a bit of a curl in it. When it's longer I can wear the curl in it, but it looks ridic if it's shorter.

tl;dr, from a red/pink/black/purple/whatevs straight bob cut for years to boring old slightly curly blonde.

Advertisement