Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question about weaning child off bottle

Options
  • 17-03-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

hi
    Just looking for some advice regarding weaning our daughter off both bottles and formula.

our Little girl is 15 months, and has used a sippy cup with the lid off since she was 6 months. She's well able to sip juice/water in this way. Lately she has started to attempt to drink by herself without help from mammy holding the cup but she hasn't mastered that totally yet! During the day if she's thirsty, I tend to let her drink juice/water from the sippy cup with the lid on and she's well able to manage that by herself. At the moment, her daily intake is something along the lines of this:
    Breakfast:
    Ready Brek/weetabix/milupa cereal
    Toast
    7-9 oz bottle formula

Morning Snack @ 10:00 or 10:30:
    Fruit/Bread Sticks

Lunch:
    Whatever is going! She eats everything. Lasagne/shepards pie/chicken, potato, veg/bacon, potato, veg ... anything!
    3-4 ozs Water/Juice from beaker (no lid)
    small Dessert - they usually have banana cake or something like that in the creche

3pm:
    7-9 oz bottle formula

late afternoon/evening:
    omelette/potato cakes/soup/sandwich+yoghurt/whatever

7:15pm:
    7-9 oz bottle formula

Right now she loves her food, sleeps no problem, and I suppose every thing was going rosy so we didn't want to upset the apple cart! We're probably late in attempting to switch but as this is our first child we don't really know what we're at! But I think we should be weaning her off formula, and cutting back on drinking from the bottles so any advice please on how to do this?

We have a holiday abroad planned in late May and that's our target so that we don't have to bother bringing bottles and formula, etc!!

any advice appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I dont know what bottles you are using. I used avent and they have different flow powers, from one to four.. so when I was ready to get him off the bottles I went back to the newborn sized flow nipple and he got fed up of it.

Advertisement