Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new hedge....bark mulch???

Options
  • 17-03-2011 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭

recently planted 25 bare root green beech hedges. i dug a trench when planting them. my question is now should i put mark mulch all along the length of the hedging? i planted laurel last year and did not do this and its a pain strimming the grass around them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 00D91

Definately if it was me i would be mulching all around them, it will save on strimming and will also keep moisture/heat in around the roots to help bring them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

thanks for the reply. 3 further questions :D
    1. where to buy mulch...... diy store i assume
    2. if the area is all mulch how do i feed the hedges?
    3. do i need to put down weed control fabric?
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Strimming is a definite no no in my book as you are likely to damage the plants. I have about 200 metres of hedge that I kept clear of weeds in the early stages by spraying with Gallup and before I new better, the more expensive Roundup. I have never used mulch and never put feed on the hedges. My hedges have grown perfectly well and are now mature - grisellinia now about 10' tall and Hornbeam about 6'.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

is it not a bit risky using weedkiller in around the hedge?? it would certainly be handier than constant strimming

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

I used bark with my Laurels and I would recommend it to anyone. I didnt use it for the first row I planted, abut 20m long but did with the second about 30m long and the difference was massive. I quickly done the first row with bark.

I put down 3"-4" of it on top of a roll of weed membrane. You will still get the odd weed growing on top of the bark. I get my bark in a local sawmills and its cheap, about €20-€30 for a builders trailer full. Each year I go back for €10-€20 woth just to top up as the crows do like to take the stuff, thats the only drawback.

Feeding the hedge can be a bit tricky, I have to lift the membrane and sprinkle a some of that chicken poo pellets stuff in there, cant remember the exact name, but the advantages are that when its 20 degress plus in the summer and you put your hand into the bark its moist and it looks good below a big bright green hedge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement