Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Europa Cup Final for Dublin

Options
  • 17-03-2011 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Watching Liverpool possibly get eliminated from the Europa Cup tonight. Wouldn't they be an ideal team to get for the final in May. They'd be guaranteed to spent lots of money in pubs all over the city whereas the continentals really wouldn't. Man City have already been knocked out. So who would we want to see against them and if Liverpool do get knocked out what would be the ideal final. Liverpool getting knocked out is a disaster though isn't it.

PSV v Liverpool for me would be ideal

edit: Right well Liverpool are out. And deservedly so. Sickened. The footballing world has just forgotten about this final.

Moscow v PSV would be the best we can hope for now.

Other teams:
    Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine)
    Benfica (Portugal)
    Spartak Moscow (Russia)
    FC Twente (Netherlands)
    FC Porto (Portugal)
    Braga (Portugal)
    PSV (Netherlands)
    Villareal (Spain)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

this might be better suited to the soccer forum ? if you pm one of the mods, they can move it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

I don't want to talk soccer though. I want to talk about how much of a disaster it is for Dublin business that Liverpool won't be playing in the Aviva in May. And would like if anyone had an opinion on the fans from the countries remaining and how likely they'd be to spend bucketfuls of money in temple bar.

Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DecentBee

Don't see how you think Spartak would be "good" for Dublin. Not many fans would travel, and those that did would be a lot more liable to cause trouble than some of the other teams. PSV vs Benfica would be the best, for atmosphere, travelling supporters and entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I think an all-Dutch final would be the best outcome. Liverpool or City fans would probably have come for just one night if even that, so hotels will do better now anyway and fans of any of the other teams will still pack out the pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

DecentBee wrote: »
    Don't see how you think Spartak would be "good" for Dublin. Not many fans would travel, and those that did would be a lot more liable to cause trouble than some of the other teams.

some people want spartak moscow because of the aiden mcgeady factor:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

A forum a lot less sensitive than boards.ie has removed the application of rolling eyes as an emoticon. Use your words. What's so wrong with maybe wanting to see Aiden McGeady in action for his club? Not that that's why i suggested Spartak, but you haven't concluded a point by just sticking that emoticon in.

Anyway, I figured that whatever club gets to the final, they'll sell out their tickets and you don't come all the way to Ireland from Moscow for just one night. And i was also for some reason under the impression that the Russians have loadza money. Maybe cos of their low tax rate. I didn't consider that they'd be trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Villareal and Braga would be the worst I'd imagine. Villareal isn't much bigger than Bray as a town so I'd imagine they're unlikely to bring a huge amount over. I don't really know Braga too well but I'm guessing they don't have a huge fan base either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Spartak Moscow (Russia)
    FC Twente (Netherlands)
    PSV (Netherlands)

Any of those two in the final, if the guards can't handle a 5,000 attendence at a LoI match they'll be rightly screwed if two of the three above play each other.

On the plus side I'm delighted Liverpool, probably would have to have gone on holiday to avoid cringing at all the Irish mongos in their Liverpool jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Moscow would be one of the best for away support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

On the plus side I'm delighted Liverpool, probably would have to have gone on holiday to avoid cringing at all the Irish mongos in their Liverpool jerseys.

Bloody hell Gav, this isn't the place for that kind of stuff, don't try anything like that again in this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 pepfcb

This :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Am too lazy to check out who could meet who, but I'd reckon if 2 of PSV/Villareal/Benfica/Porto get there it should be a great final with decent footballing sides & will bring big support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Well, Benfica v Porto would probably be the best final from the point of view as a local derby cup final would make for a great atmosphere.

And if not Benfica, then Porto Villareal would also be great.

A shame no English or Scottish team will make it though.

Would have been funny if Rangers made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Well, Benfica v Porto would probably be the best final from the point of view as a local derby cup final would make for a great atmosphere.

And if not Benfica, then Porto Villareal would also be great.

It would have been funny if Rangers made it? Don't know, maybe not for the mods, they would have got yet another thread with Pro-Rangers vs Anti-Rangers rants ;)

[Jackass] wrote: »

A bigger shame is no Irish team will make it.

Would have been interesting to say the least, considering the Gardai wouldn't let the Shels -v- Rangers Champions League match a few years back be playing in Tolka I'd hate to imagine how'd they handle a much larger Rangers crowd in Dublin. Would probably end up like O'Connell St after that planned Orange March a few years back.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Bet there will be a load of cheap tickets available at the final since Liverpool got knocked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just because no English teams will make it doesn't mean it will be a bad final. The teams that get there will be there on merit so I'm sure it will still be a good game and in the business sense, still well attended as many people here have bought tickets in advance and some of those sides would bring good support I'm sure. In fact, business might even do better seeing as a club like Liverpool would muster up huge support here who would probably not require as many hotel rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Porto v Benfica would be cool. But really, I don't care about it to be honest. Would watch it purely because it's in the Aviva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

A bigger shame is no Irish team will make it.

Well, of course. I'm actually a Shels fan myself (although have to admit not making it to a game since before they were relegated - fair weather fan - I know :( ). Don't really follow or support much football outside of Ireland and the national team. More of a rugby fan as you can see below. :D

Any Irish team making progress in Europe would be amazing though. Great for the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

As long as Villareal make it I don't mind. They are a truly great team. Also I'm glad the British teams are gone by the way. On top of their terrible football it'll keep their loutish element out of the city come May.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Not really a big barstooler team left, meaning there won't be as many Irish people on the hunt for tickets. More travelling fans can only be good for the atmosphere.

I went to the FAI Cup Final in Lansdowne, I'm not a fan of SRFC or the crowd from Tallaght, but it's an amazing stadium. If there are tickets left at the last minute I will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭fivestar

the place won't be full anyway, given the outrageous price of tickets!

fivestar wrote: »

If Liverpool were they it would have been regardless of ticket prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

fivestar wrote: »

Are they very expensive?. Not a footy fan myself, just wondering though, no matter who reaches the final,would it not draw a large Irish crowd just because top class teams will be playing?

Advertisement