Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power solution for boat ?

• 18-03-2011 12:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

I'm renovating a small cabin boat atm. I will at some stage be putting an outboard motor on it. I am just wonderign what would be a normal power solution for powering things like say a cabin light, a stereo maybe, maybe gps, sounder etc.

I'm pretty sure outboards don't charge big batteries or do they? Any recommendations as to providing power onboard? I'd like to have the option to stay on it overnight etc.

Many thanks as always

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi Dnme, most outboards nowadays do charge the batteries, if you want to run things for a long time without recharging go for a domestic battery "deep cycle" for the boat and maybe another cranking battery for the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Yeah batteries are probly the best option unless you went down the road of putting in shore power which is un-necessary I think. 2 batteries as Fergal said, one for domestic use and one solely for the engine, nothing worse than staying overnight somewhere with the lights, stereo, fridge etc on and then find the battery isn't strong enough to turn the engine over the next morning!!!

Advertisement