Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burren Mount Hotel, Salthill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Ha, ha. Yes TheCosmicFrog - oddball indeed. Why do I have a feeling this username is going to work against me in discussion forums?!

Just don't post in the Ladies Night Out threads :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I'd gladly pay to have a tour of the hotel,

I often stood on the wall across the road to try get a good look at the first floor, the place fascinates me in freaky kinda way

I know a few more mates who would gladly pay to take a peek too

I think we have a business venture on our hands, lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

definately man, I would even stretch as far as a tenner for a tour of the place

I think gabby still does work in the bal from time to time

if this happens I'd say even my Dad would pay to go in too :)

sort it out cosmicfrog man :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I tried to get a job as a chambermaid there when I was a teenager. Creepy old woman didn't hire me...phew. I'd probably never have come out alive.

I remember seeing asylum seekers living there a few years ago, and felt really sorry for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'd be interested in a tour of the place too, but only if they allow a few photos!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 romeo yankee

i will try bump in to owner, not the "most approachable" type, but who knows.. worth a try:D

$20 deposit

$15 admission

one hour tour NO REFUNDS ALL PAYMENT IN CASH TO MEEEEE:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

$20 deposit

Incase we take the building with us, is it? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

Hi
    I have always been wondering about this abandoned hotel in Salthill and I was wondering if anyone had any information about its history, and why does it remain a derelict building?? All the fixtures seem to still be there, its like someone just walked out of the place and never came back!!
    Any info would be much appreciated :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Its slowly beginning to look better than Bailey point, where all the plaster is falling off....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ugly and all as Burren Mount is, I think it always looked better than the Bailey Point.

If ever Salthill needed a reminder of the madness and greed that the celtic tiger dragged in, look no further. :mad:

How the hell it ever received planning permission is beyond me.

Although I have my suspicions.

More here........

www.archiseek.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=4340

My first thread! :D

I saw one of the lights on when I passed it the last day. Place is haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

That car down the lane beside it has seen better days!
    I've always wondered about that place too actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I notice this dump (and the bigger disgrace beside it) every time I visit Salthill. I have always assumed that it was closed down years ago. As someone said in that older thread, it has a Chernobyl feel about it. Those glass-fronted bedrooms facing the sea, which would be at a premium in any other building in any other resort in any other civilised and developed country, all look like they were simply abandoned twenty years ago. Same gacky picture on every wall, linens still on the beds, cheap sticks of furniture, ugly wallpaper, and black mould spreading.

Don't mention this to anyone, but I remember going to discos in the Burrenmount once upon a time in the previous millennium.

But if it's really abandoned, how do we explain the likes of this?

http://www.galwayartsfestival.com/gaf2009/pastprogrammes.php?category=4&id=265

EDIT: Odd, the dates above seem to coincide with this ancient Advertiser ad for the Arts Festival, but the Arts Festival page looks much more recent. Are there ghosts in the interweb now?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

I done security work in Bailey Point way back when it was been built. Part of the problem back then was a disagreement on the use of the lane separating the Burren Mount and Bailey Point between the builders of Bailey Point and the owners of the Burren Mount. It was closed back then as well. Cant remember the exact dates. The owner still lived in the hotel at that time and he used to frequently block access to the lane with said car and go missing for hours. The lane access was at the time the only way to get materials in to Bailey Point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jayhawk77

I was part of a large (140 or so) group of students from the University of Kansas who took part in a study course in Ireland in 1976. We were divided into two groups which rotated between living in Galway/Salthill while attending classes with our own professors and those at UCG, and living on Inishbofin Island. When in Galway we lived at the Burren Mount. Even 35 years ago the place was pretty down at the heels - I can hardly believe it's still standing.

jayhawk77 wrote: »
    I was part of a large (140 or so) group of students from the University of Kansas who took part in a study course in Ireland in 1976. We were divided into two groups which rotated between living in Galway/Salthill while attending classes with our own professors and those at UCG, and living on Inishbofin Island. When in Galway we lived at the Burren Mount. Even 35 years ago the place was pretty down at the heels - I can hardly believe it's still standing.

Hi jayhawk, thanks for posting. If you dig up any photos or have any more information, please feel free to post in either this thread or (the more complete thread) here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055492400

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jayhawk77 wrote: »
    When in Galway we lived at the Burren Mount. Even 35 years ago the place was pretty down at the heels - I can hardly believe it's still standing.
    Mother a jaysus, I never heard of anyone staying in that kip. It was probably totally out of date when built...... on the cheap..... some time in the late 1960s from the look of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You'll be heartened to know it has not changed a bit, relive your youth while it is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

its still lived in,if you stand outside killorans and look up to a side window you'll see a tv flashing at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

howyanow wrote: »
    its still lived in,if you stand outside killorans and look up to a side window you'll see a tv flashing at night.

Spooky. I'll bet that if you watch carefully you'll see that the programmes are all TV series from the 1970s and 1980s: Minder, The Sweeney, Hawaii Five-O, The Professionals, Murphy's Micro Quiz-M, Bosco...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

IS this still going on? The visit like? Why did the thread suddenly end? Very spooky! Did you all go there and then disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 squamata

Fiddlesnap wrote: »
    IS this still going on? The visit like? Why did the thread suddenly end? Very spooky! Did you all go there and then disappear?

+1 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

.....very strange.....indeed.

This would make a great movie, though.

Cynical/know it all internet generation meet online, decide to disturb decrepit 60s era hotel.

Little do they realise what lurks inside!

cue.....old turn table playing showband music.....and the usual horror motifs.

Characters:

1) Irish stoner emo crusty hacker type
    2) American knuckle head jock foreign student & cheer leader girlfriend in Ireland for their semester abroad.
    3) Creepy guy who takes the money to see the hotel - knows a lot about the hotels history. Maybe a little too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Place gives me z creeps , but think it would make a great place for a fashion shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devane

biko wrote: »
    Just for the peeps that don't know the ugliest hotel in Galway.
    It kinda has a Soviet 1970s "charm".

2458562970_2809780951.jpg

dscf10647jj.jpg

This evening I have been scanning some old family photos. I stumbled upon this one and recognised the name. Judging by the people the people in the photo that I cut out it'll be from the mid to late 60's.

So it looked normal at one stage. The front bit was an extension.

burrenmount.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

About two weeks ago I saw people in there,moving stuff around the rooms. Couldn't believe my eyes! Maybe they're selling the old TV's and stuff on adverts......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Devane wrote: »
    The front bit was an extension.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I like it too. It has a lot of character

Just needs a clean and a bit of updating by getting rid of that front extension. The facades on all these older buildings should be retained. It's what gives Salthill and most of Galway its character.

Christ! Look at the monstrosity next door to it, how did that get planning? Totally out of character and scale for Salthill and looks like a flaming hospital, got to live with looking at that for the rest of our lives. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I dont know will we have to look at it for that long,
    have you seen the way the plaster is decaying on the corners, corner bead is showing through all over it.

Must have been built as a training scheme.:D

Advertisement