Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burren Mount Hotel, Salthill

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Wha?? Think that post needs an edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ian 21

sorry gave it a bit of edit there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

The owners of the Burren Mount threw cold water on a tour and don't want to be disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ian 21

well that was very nice them ya think theyd be glad that some people still have intrest in place rather than wanting it to be knocked

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fiona_242

The owner sadly passed on last year:
    DONOGHUE (Burren Mount, Salthill, Galway), Austin (Specials) - Jan. 11, 2012 (suddenly) at U.C.H. Galway, pre-deceased by his father Francie; deeply mourned by his heartbroken mother Maureen, his sister Maria (Beirne), brother-in-law Gerry, niece Leonie, nephew Nathan, aunts, uncles, relatives and many friends.

Any chance the hotel had during the boom to be developed is now gone, and I'd say will stay the way it is for many a year yet. It has always been that way since I was a kid and I am nearly 40 now so I guess it just one of those "Life after People" places. Watch the programme on "Life after People" on National Geo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I stuck my head in there a few years back during the time the Red Arrows used come to Galway and I peeped inside the door, (Door was wide open as I passed) the carpet was dark green and the walls were this dark brown and in the corner opp the main door was like a reception desk and a very old 60's TV stood on a stand beside it. I was taking the piss and saying to my husband we have to get married there! I am intrigued about the place. I think it may be haunted!

Life after People is on History channel and Channel 4.

Don't get me wrong I would love a look in side but the man who owns it is due respect and has the right to say NO! It is now the families private property but I think maybe deeds are lost or the place is haunted. Can anyone tell me if anyone stayed in the place when it was open to the public?

I know the house on College Rd was haunted for years, a couple moved in years ago when I was in 2nd school and there child died there and then the electrician was electrocuted off the roof, and some young man hung himself in the back room, the house is now a B&B.
    It's the house on the corner opp the traffic lights. I would not stay there if you paid me!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

Fiona_242 wrote: »
    I think maybe deeds are lost
    What consequence would that have? They're just paper. And the property has been in the same family for so long.

• Advertisement

You cannot sell a property without deeds or transfer a property would the deeds. You cannot give your husband spouse your house and transfer the name onto a property without deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

You cannot sell a property without deeds or transfer a property would the deeds. You cannot give your husband spouse your house and transfer the name onto a property without deeds.
    Not true anyways and definitely not true anymore.
    The requirement to produce Land Certificates was abolished a few years ago.
    And before that requirement was abolished, paperwork went missing all the time, there are legal ways and means around everything.
    www.prai.ie

Had no idea, thought that is the away it was, interesting to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

Did'nt realise Austin specials was the same owner. He was well known amongst bikers in Galway as an engineer as far as I know. RIP.

As for tours, if they dont want anyone near it, thats their right, and their privacy should be respected, unlike what some of the above comments seem to suggest.
    well that was very nice them ya think theyd be glad that some people still have intrest in place rather than wanting it to be knocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

biko wrote: »
    Just for the peeps that don't know the ugliest hotel in Galway.
    It kinda has a Soviet 1970s "charm".

2458562970_2809780951.jpg

dscf10647jj.jpg

jesus it still looks the same i stayed there over 20 0dd years ago for a stag

What was it like inside 20 years ago? I'd say it its still the same now.

I'll say one thing those signs on the roof of the building have lasted years and serviced them well! Considering its by the sea and they are getting battered and bruised each winter. (:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

What was it like inside 20 years ago? I'd say it its still the same now.

it was fairly dated back then dark & gloomy and old fashioned what i can remember of it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'll say one thing those signs on the roof of the building have lasted years and serviced them well! Considering its by the sea and they are getting battered and bruised each winter. (:D

Hadn't thought of that but indeed it is, especially when you look at baileypoint's crumbling plaster. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

It still looks as though the rooms are still kitted out as a hotel. At least from the front anyway. Would be a great place to take a tour of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe one day. The owners wants it to be regarded as a private residence for the foreseeable future. See post #153.

The owner does have the right to refuse and has the right to be respected at this time, as it now considered a private residents. If they took the signs down it would take allot of the attention away from the building but since the signs are left in place it seems to lure people and fascinate them!

Bailey Point is horrible and disgrace of a building with no style or concept! How the Galway County Council allowed to go to plan is beyond me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

walked past the BM earlier and was amazed and amused to see that the car down the lane has been boarded up! now it looks like some kind of cheap abstract art... why don't they just dump it? strange days indeed momma!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

jkforde wrote: »
    walked past the BM earlier and was amazed and amused to see that the car down the lane has been boarded up! now it looks like some kind of cheap abstract art... why don't they just dump it? strange days indeed momma!

That seems bizarre indeed! You didn't manage to grab a photo, did you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

I did !!!

DSC_0383.jpg

The carpenter was probably stoned he did a pretty good job

Would be good to paint up

RAT.jpg

Cant imagine that mazada will ever turn a wheel again

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Sweet lord!

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

coffin-car-01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

That's nuts!! The car boarded up, what next?!! There used to be a nightclub or disco in Burren Mount back in my parents hey-days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That's nuts!! The car boarded up, what next?!! There used to be a nightclub or disco in Burren Mount back in my parents hey-days.

Yip. At the side underneath. Used to be called 'Francies 21 Club'.
    It reopened temporarily as the Festival Club for the Arts Festival when it started to grow legs. First place I saw The Hothouse Flowers when Maria Doyle (Kennedy) was with them.
    The sweat would pour off you once you tried to get from the door to the bar and if you tried to do any kind of jumpin you would split your head off the roof.

Brilliant craic though :-) and no trouble.

Advertisement