Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burren Mount Hotel, Salthill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Would make a great speakeasy club now!.......

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fiona_242

Love the old time pictures that were posted about the Burren Mount Hotel. Really lovely to see how Salthill was back in the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I wonder how large the private residence part is? It's a quite large building as it goes back a good bit from the seafront. Anyway leave them to it I say....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Yip. At the side underneath. Used to be called 'Francies 21 Club'.
    It reopened temporarily as the Festival Club for the Arts Festival when it started to grow legs. First place I saw The Hothouse Flowers when Maria Doyle (Kennedy) was with them.
    The sweat would pour off you once you tried to get from the door to the bar and if you tried to do any kind of jumpin you would split your head off the roof.

Brilliant craic though :-) and no trouble.

was that the burren mount or the building that was beside it - Mcpeaks/twiggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Burrenmount. The little flat roofed bit attached to the left of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

ah right, I must have been thinking of the building to the right of it with the steps up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fiona_242

Why was it named the Burren Mount, was it named after the Burren in Co. Clare? Leave it to them, people would be less interested if they took the signs away. I would hate to live in such an place to be honest you can't beat your own back garden on a lovely day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

Fiona_242 wrote: »
    Why was it named the Burren Mount, was it named after the Burren in Co. Clare? Leave it to them, people would be less interested if they took the signs away. I would hate to live in such an place to be honest you can't beat your own back garden on a lovely day!

you can see the burren directly accrross the bay out of the front window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Which bit is that? The Bon Bon shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. The 'club' part used along the back. Think there was some kind of funfair stuff there as well? A bit of the sign was still hanging there until relatively recently.
    Not sure what's there now. I never bother to take any notice to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yep. The 'club' part used along the back. Think there was some kind of funfair stuff there as well? A bit of the sign was still hanging there until relatively recently.
    Not sure what's there now. I never bother to take any notice to be honest.

Yeah, there was the camel racing there and some target shoot. It's like a little carpark. Saw the coffin as I was passing on my way home last week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I remember being at a party in the Burren Mount around 1970 (may have been a launch/opening). My Uncle was invited and we came with him remember lots of drink. Great view from the top windows. Seemed v modern at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Notch000 wrote: »
    I did !!!

DSC_0383.jpg

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but that car can't still be there surely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭wily minx

No, it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I had forgotten about The Rio. While the Burren Mount is creepy, The Rio is just plain greasy. Gotta love the giant mirror and sexy yellow mood lighting at the front counter. Would love to see inside the rooms, they probably have shag pile carpets, stained velvet sheets and some nice 9 carat gold fixtures, greasy!

I recall a relative staying in the RIO c 1959. Fine hotel then, well run by the McGurks

Yea.

Very odd to see the car gone now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sirci123

This thread is so funny because you make it sound all mysterious and a guy might or might not be living there and there are lights and tvs on lol. The mystery person is just Gabby, Francie's bodyguard basically. Gabby was my mums boyfriend for about 5 years when I was 8 so I knew him really well and was in the Burren many times. Gabby got me a dove and he lived in the back of the Burren. Saw him a few years ago and he hadn't changed a bit. He was a character alright but was always so good to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The plot thickens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Are there any images of inside the hotel? It literally looks like time has stood still for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There was no image from the hotel rooms from back in the day when I last searched years ago.

These days it's a private residence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

biko wrote: »
    There was no image from the hotel rooms from back in the day when I last searched years ago.

These days it's a private residence.

Thanks Biko, and apologies for ressurecting an old thread. Just one of those really intriguing buildings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hoolie61

Hi, was just wondering does anyone know when / why the hotel closed ? I believe my uncle had a wedding here sometime in the late 70s. Would like to know more of the history of the place

The family who ran it were from originally from Roscommon and known to my Uncle who lived in roscommon. By all accounts it was a popular place in its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fitzy1982

Sirci123 wrote: »
    This thread is so funny because you make it sound all mysterious and a guy might or might not be living there and there are lights and tvs on lol. The mystery person is just Gabby, Francie's bodyguard basically. Gabby was my mums boyfriend for about 5 years when I was 8 so I knew him really well and was in the Burren many times. Gabby got me a dove and he lived in the back of the Burren. Saw him a few years ago and he hadn't changed a bit. He was a character alright but was always so good to me.

Interesting 🤔could you dm me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

fitzy1982 wrote: »
    Interesting 🤔could you dm me

Weirdest post here in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 4 fitzy1982

Weirdest post here in a long time
    Lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

This thread is about to be closed

Fair enough. Gone as far as it could.