Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's play?

Options
  • 18-03-2011 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Anyone interested in doing a Boards_Games "Let's play"?

I'm thinking something old skool, Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Fallout 2, System Shock 2 etc..

Nominate a game and few weeks to complete it, maybe with a few waypoints.

who's in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'll 100% watch it no matter what :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Not a video, more a group play, updating progress in the thread. A nostalgic replay of a classic we can appreciate all over again. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wouldn't mind Fallout, Baldurs Gate or Planescape Torment since I got them from GoG and have been meaning to pla them, would give me a good incentive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

quarryman wrote: »
    Not a video, more a group play, updating progress in the thread. A nostalgic replay of a classic we can appreciate all over again. :)
    Not even a podcast? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind Fallout, Baldurs Gate or Planescape Torment since I got them from GoG and have been meaning to pla them, would give me a good incentive.

Ironically enough I just started Planescape Torment (gog edition) last night. Just finished Dragon Age 2 and felt like a proper old skool rpg I have meant to play Planescape Torment for years....

UPDATE: I am currently looking for my journal.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd be up for that. Would definitely be interesting for the games that you can play very differently (i.e. good/bad paths), and write up what's happening. Would also be up for trying a podcast type 'Let's Play'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fall out or Oblivion and kill every single person you encounter and see how far you get.

Currently playing Oblivion as i never finished it and noticed you cant be bad and side with the bad guys, never noticed that before. You can be bad to the village type people but still have to stop the bad guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 DamoBrad

I'm actually Playing Fallout 3 now and have Stabbed, Filled with way over the legal limit of lead, Bludgeoned to death, Fragged, Random but strategically positioned frag-mine killed, Exploded by means of frag meeting head, skewered, pick pocket activity and instead planted a live grenade in their pocket prank and basically massacred everyone in Megaton. And all the bodies outside i dragged them all to the bomb in the centre. Legged it into Luas Sims house and got the bobblehead, Raided all the houses and stored all the ones i couldnt carry into the hallowed out rock, Armed the bomb (previously i accepted that quest from TenPenny) went up the tower and BLEW THEM INBREDS TO PIECES!!! HA HA HA

Oh it was so enjoyable...

I think i'll restart and do it again..

this time i'll just arm the bomb :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i'd go for a planescape torment playthrough, never played it and am generally not too fond of old clicky mouse controlled rpgs but ive heard so many good things about it that I'd like to give it a try

i'd go for a planescape torment playthrough, never played it and am generally not too fond of old clicky mouse controlled rpgs but ive heard so many good things about it that I'd like to give it a try

Yeah, I'm itching to do a replay of this.

It should be accessible to most people now since its on GOG for €7.

edit: also with the widescreen mod, you can play in 1920x1080!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Woudl be up for this haven't replayed this in a while and there are still paths/choices I havent' made.

So who's in?

Planescape Torment.

Start this Friday and leave it going for a month or so.

I can start a new thread.

In:
    Quarryman

I'm on a stag this weekend, so i can't start this Friday :( .....Wait a minute, i'm on ****ing stag! :D

Seriously though, i'll start from early next week.

In:
    quarryman
    Kiith

i'm in, but im not sure how much I can play day by day yet

gona be doing like 8 hours a day study in april, but I can probably do an hour or two a night planescape.

although like I said, i never really got into the old style mouse controlled rpg's so I might just get sick of it after not too long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Great, this will be a good distraction from minecraft.

In:
    Quarryman
    Kiith
    Sharrow

i'm in, but im not sure how much I can play day by day yet

gona be doing like 8 hours a day study in april, but I can probably do an hour or two a night planescape.

although like I said, i never really got into the old style mouse controlled rpg's so I might just get sick of it after not too long :)

i suggest it's kept very casual, people can dip in and out over the space of a month.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd love to give it a go but I'm finishing up my PhD and well an 80 hour RPG isn't conductive to it :)

I'd love to give it a go but I'm finishing up my PhD and well an 80 hour RPG isn't conductive to it :)

It's not that bad Retro, 20 hours would see you to the end along the main quest, there aren't that many side-quests. It's nowhere near the length of Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm in also, but again won't be able to start this Friday.

Retro might have a point though. I don't think i could play a Bioware/Black Isle RPG without doing pretty much everything there is to do in the game. Even though i've played pretty much every side quest in Baldur's Gate 2, i still repeat them all on subsequent plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

GOG.com are going to love us!

Should start with Duke Nukem 3D before the new one arrives.
    It's something that I would deffo participate in, but wouldn't religiously do.

quarryman wrote: »
    It's not that bad Retro, 20 hours would see you to the end along the main quest, there aren't that many side-quests. It's nowhere near the length of Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale.

20 hours? Not the way I play RPGs :D. I'd have to do everything. Sure I sunk 120 hours into Fallout 3!

20 hours? Not the way I play RPGs :D. I'd have to do everything. Sure I sunk 120 hours into Fallout 3!

in one playthrough?!

in one playthrough?!

Yep and 3 of the 5 expansions. Stopped playing halfway through point outlook just totally burnt out :)

I just decidedto go wandering the wasteland and did all the sidequests and explored everywhere I found and then when I hit level 20 I got the perk to show everything on the map and proceded to do all the stuff I missed. Most of the sidequests were better than the main storyline.

ooh yeah, i forgot all about point lookout :)

I spent hours just wandering about that, and eventually just gave up

must give it another install actually, feel like shooting some mutated hillbillies

I really loved Point Lookout but I'd just had Fallout 3 burnout by that stage. I had a backlog that was getting bigger and not getting played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Count me in as well, I've been meaning to play it for years!

Great I'll start a fresh thread at the weekend with Planescape Torment details, where to buy, mods to install and waypoints etc. People can play whenever suits them.

bish. bash. BOSH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I'm rather confused by the implementation here. SomethingAwful began the whole thing and if you read through the threads (or visit the Let's Play Archive) you'll see it's one person playing through the game and either vlogging it or screencapping and describing.

There are sequential games where one person plays a part, sends on the save and then another picks up from there but this seems more like a book club where everyone plays and offers opinions than an actual Let's Play.

Would such a thing ever happen here?

Advertisement