Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent allowance on JSA

• 18-03-2011 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I've been on jsa unfortunately since Xmas 2010.
    I'm over 25 & living with my parents so even though I give them €30 a week(to retain my moral standards!) I'm not really paying rent.

I'm trying to start up a business and need to move out of the house. I've looked on citizen info website but couldnt find out if I will be able to get rent assistance.

Does anyone have experience in this?
    Like, bow much a week or do they pick a house.

I'm pretty clueless about welfare.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

You will have to be renting a place for 6 months before you can apply for rent allowance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

gustafo wrote: »
    You will have to be renting a place for 6 months before you can apply for rent allowance

It's not as black and white as this. You must be either renting for six months OR on the council housing list. To get on the council housing list you will have to apply to your local county council. The housing officer will them come visit you at your parents house and have a chat with you about it, and they look at your current situation and housing need.

Making up a story like telling them that you and your parents don't get along at all and can't stand to be around each other could actually help your case. For me, I had a problem with my immune system and my sister keeps dogs so I explained to them that I was at high risk of infection living there, so she put me on the housing list.

You'll have to find accomodation for yourself that accepts rent allowance (don't do this until you're on the council list) and then apply to your community Welfare officer for rent allowance. Your landlord fills out a form every three months then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Do not make up stories when dealing with SW or housing authorities.

How to qualify for rent allowance is correctly posted above by gustafo - making up a story to get on the housing list is not advised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

What happens if ya can't find a Landlord willing to accept Rent Allowance??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

What happens if ya can't find a Landlord willing to accept Rent Allowance??

You wont get rent allowance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement