Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parthenaise cattle

• 18-03-2011 2:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

Hey, Have been reading up on these. Was just wondering does anyone have any experience with them and are they all they are cracked up to be. Had a good look around at them in tullamore last august and I thought they seemed very light looking compared to a limousion. They seemed pretty narrow to me but had good muscle definition. Any info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Hey, Have been reading up on these. Was just wondering does anyone have any experience with them and are they all they are cracked up to be. Had a good look around at them in tullamore last august and I thought they seemed very light looking compared to a limousion. They seemed pretty narrow to me but had good muscle definition. Any info would be much appreciated.

have my first few calves off pt bull lately, ya they wouldnt have the frame of a ch calf at all, they are tall and slim, reckon thats why they calf so easy, interesting the bull is 5* for docility, one of the calves is off a lim cow, she is practically a pet, you could rub her in the field, calf is very wild though so its hard to know where its coming from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I was at that beef breeding demo on Wed night in Edenderry mart and there was a smashing PB Part cow, 3rd calver with a BB calf at foot by BBQ. As nice an outfit as I've seen for a while. The cow really impressed me, enough size, muscle and milk. Very impressive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Bizzum wrote: »
    I was at that beef breeding demo on Wed night in Edenderry mart and there was a smashing PB Part cow, 3rd calver with a BB calf at foot by BBQ. As nice an outfit as I've seen for a while. The cow really impressed me, enough size, muscle and milk. Very impressive!
    thats what i want to hear.i left out my part incalf heifers on monday with the last of the cows that are to calf and from a distance you can not tell the difference from the cows they have really grown getting the bull did not stop them,my lips are watering for july to see what they will have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

the limousin is a good cross with a parthenaise and then a heifer out of that cross put in calf to a bb you will have more muscle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

I visited a few parthenaise breeders around munster and connaught in autumn and thought they were super looking cattle and very quiet.... They didnt look narrow to me tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭PureClaas

the limousin is a good cross with a parthenaise and then a heifer out of that cross put in calf to a bb you will have more muscle.

IMO this is the worst thing you could ever do????? Why would ya???

Why bring all the problems a BB bring into an animal instead of clever choosing a good AI Parthenaise bull that will keep your ease of calving, no C section should be needed unless you messed up somehow, your still getting great double muscel and a much hardier animal than a BB??

Whats worse still about your statement is putting a bloody LIM on a Parthenaise iv heard it all now lol

have my first few calves off pt bull lately, ya they wouldnt have the frame of a ch calf at all, they are tall and slim, reckon thats why they calf so easy, interesting the bull is 5* for docility, one of the calves is off a lim cow, she is practically a pet, you could rub her in the field, calf is very wild though so its hard to know where its coming from

What bull did you use are whats the calves like now???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

PureClaas wrote: »
    IMO this is the worst thing you could ever do????? Why would ya???

Why bring all the problems a BB bring into an animal instead of clever choosing a good AI Parthenaise bull that will keep your ease of calving, no C section should be needed unless you messed up somehow, your still getting great double muscel and a much hardier animal than a BB??

Whats worse still about your statement is putting a bloody LIM on a Parthenaise iv heard it all now lol
    and i thought that giveing all my cows c sections was the best for my cows so they would not have to push,bb and sections all the way.:eek::eek:

Why use a bull that you have to section in the first place????

The rite PT bull will eliminate all that extra hassel and extra cost all for the same results

Sense has to start coming into this BB hype .

leg wax wrote: »
    and i thought that giveing all my cows c sections was the best for my cows so they would not have to push,bb and sections all the way.:eek::eek:

Never a truer word. :)

• Advertisement

Anyone like that ol 'jersey' colour?

LOL We get paid on colour now??? Larry Goodman is gettin very generous, whats going on????????????????? lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I'm begining to think that way aswell - that BB are much easier calving than Charolais. When bone locks on bone, that's when the trouble starts. I haven't used enough to know for sure, but starting to think that way.
    Restricting 'intake' 6 weeks before calving just as important though, as we keep being told by any of these BETTER farmers.

Ya know what Pak if you manage your calving cow rite i think i would have to agree, muscel at birth you can have a good influence on but them Char calves some of them come out as big as race horses

TBH i do like BB cattle but to me they dont make sense with all the problems they have. there soft, not consistant hard on cows, higher health costs (ie:vet) bills and they burn out way too young.

Thats just what i think BB breaders im sure would beg to differ. But when you get them rite they are some cattle in fairness

Advertisement