Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 KPH spped limit on the M50 roundabout and the N3

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Twigster wrote: »
    yes regularly and i think it's a dangerous bend to be taking at even 50km/h so a lower limit is needed. do you not think that the fact that there is the incline and the bend that is the reason the limit is so low, i doubt they just put it there for the craic. I'd say that the limit is too slow after the bend and should go back to 80 sooner than it does, and to 100 sooner than it does also, but i'd agree with the lower limit on the actual bend itself.

and seriously, if people's cars can't drive at that speed they should get them checked out, as for an automatic, it's my understanding that they automatically shift down in gear? hence the name. It's not as steep an incline as those on strawberry beds and would you say you're not able to drive them at 30?

I used drive an automatic and it had no problem being driven at 10 km per hour never mind 30 km per hour. There would have to be a severe problem with a car which could not be driven from a standing start to 40 or 50 km per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Has anyone noticed the goings on in relation to the flyover that takes you from D15 toward the city?

You now cross over a ramp that takes you down past the TravelLodge.

If your on the N3 and heading by the back of Currys you can hit 80kph, by the time you reach the hospital entrance you must get down to 60kph, nothing unusual there as such but once you get to the ramp that takes you past the old m50 roundabout and city bound you must reduce to 30kph, that's 20mph give or take.

There is four problems here and I had a go at adhering to it Sunday morning.

(1) First and foremost on the top of that ramp hidden behind the overhead bridge is Gardi positioned with a speed gun every weekend since the turn of the year. They are actually hiding and that is something they stated they would not do as they wanted to educate and deter people form speeding.

(2) 30kph on a busy M50 intersection is almost impossible to achieve and it'll cause more accidents than the reduction is trying to prevent.

(3) I tried to gradually go from 60 to 30kph on Sunday morning and I was given a tough time by trailing cars, now I did slow gradually and not suddenly. Now I know the guards were hiding higher up the ramp out of sight and I was not speeding but anyone who needs to get to 30kph and follow the law is in serious trouble of being rear ended with the alternative to stay at 40, 50 or 60 and receive an €80 fine from the Garda hiding further ahead and points to your license.

(4) If we had the winter this year that we had the last two years you would struggle to get up that ramp at 30, especially if your rear wheel drive and I am rear wheel drive. 50 would be about right to get up it safely and promptly without spinning to the side.

The reaction I got from motorists behind me is enough to write to the NRA or the GARDI to let them know. I am probably wasting my time but 30kph on that ramp is not right, it's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Tomas_S

That 30kph should be for lorries and buses only

Tomas_S wrote: »
    That 30kph should be for lorries and buses only

The problem now as opposed to the reply Leo Varadkar gave is the presence of Gardi hiding on the top of the ramp penalizing motorists and actually pulling them a side on the top of the ramp which is a bit counter productive for road safety.

If it should be at least 40kph then Gardi should be applying a 40kph speed gun and not targeting motorists. It's a golden revenue generating area because the speed limit is so off the wall that motorists almost have to either break the limit or risk being rear ended - slowing distance from 60 to 30 is very, very short.

Can somebody please go and rip them signs off! :pac: Gardai wont be able to penalize us then for a while:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Where exactly are the Gardai hiding and are they out with hair dryers or are they in vans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Coming off the M50 coming from the south heading towards Blanchardstown they've been in the lay-by with the gun just as you come around the bend off the M50 before your merge with the N3. I'm not sure about eastbound but I did see 2 traffic corp vehicles parked literally where the road spilt for city bound and M50 southbound but they weren't doing a speed check at the time, maybe they had just finished or were about to start.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Coming off the M50 coming from the south heading towards Blanchardstown they've been in the lay-by with the gun just as you come around the bend off the M50 before your merge with the N3. I'm not sure about eastbound but I did see 2 traffic corp vehicles parked literally where the road spilt for city bound and M50 southbound but they weren't doing a speed check at the time, maybe they had just finished or were about to start.

Precisely, every time I seen them they had the radar gun in hand. They are in an unmarked car and on one occasion a squad car.

No vans etc and when i say their hiding, you cannot see them until you enter the of the ramp because the m50 roundabout is blocking their view,

they are shooting fish in a barrel.

I noted someone posted previously in the thread that it is easy to hold at 30kph, yes it is, but not when you have such a short distance to get from 60 to 30 and watching your rear view for the rest of the trailing traffic that is cursing you.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

These traps should be at accident blackspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Coming from the N3 eastbound (i.e. - from Clonee towards town) and then heading to the M50 southbound, where the road slows from 80kph to 50kph to 30kph would probably be the most dangerous stretch of road in the country, if those limits were obeyed. To expect someone to slow down that much on a road like that coming towards a steep incline is madness. As chucknorris stated above, if there was ice or snow it would literally be almost impossible to do for a rear-wheel drive, and certainly for me on a motorbike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

I saw the worst thing ever on Sunday. Out and out the most dangers thing I have ever seen a Garda do.

Heading towards the city coming in the N3 after the slip off for the M50 north on the right, between the two lanes to the City and the two lanes for the M50 South an unmarked Garda car with the radar gun on a tripod and pulling cars (stopping them) into the left lane where there is no hard shoulder.

Now if you are breaking the speed limit and caught for it put your hand up and take it but for an ass hole like this putting peoples lives at risk because he wants to look good with his returns to the boos is a disgrace.

I was driving along in the left lane, I did spot him with a car stopped in the lane but the car in front of me must not have seen them and nearly hit him but ended up pulling out into the right lane in front of the car beside me without any signal and they very nearly hit. As I said I had spotted it so had slowed to almost a stop waiting for the cars to pass before pulling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

(1) First and foremost on the top of that ramp hidden behind the overhead bridge is Gardi positioned with a speed gun every weekend since the turn of the year. They are actually hiding and that is something they stated they would not do as they wanted to educate and deter people form speeding.
    GoSafe vans that are issuing fines will always be overt. There will be some vans that might not necessarily be overt used for surveying. The Garda will use a mix of overt and covert checking.

Victor wrote: »
    GoSafe vans that are issuing fines will always be overt. There will be some vans that might not necessarily be overt used for surveying. The Garda will use a mix of overt and covert checking.

This has been occurring for three weekend's solid, it's a golden spot for them to do the check and at 30kph you will get people all day long.

It's an extremely dangerous limit to get down to.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

bigjohn66 wrote: »
    I saw the worst thing ever on Sunday. Out and out the most dangers thing I have ever seen a Garda do.

Heading towards the city coming in the N3 after the slip off for the M50 north on the right, between the two lanes to the City and the two lanes for the M50 South an unmarked Garda car with the radar gun on a tripod and pulling cars (stopping them) into the left lane where there is no hard shoulder.

Now if you are breaking the speed limit and caught for it put your hand up and take it but for an ass hole like this putting peoples lives at risk because he wants to look good with his returns to the boos is a disgrace.

I was driving along in the left lane, I did spot him with a car stopped in the lane but the car in front of me must not have seen them and nearly hit him but ended up pulling out into the right lane in front of the car beside me without any signal and they very nearly hit. As I said I had spotted it so had slowed to almost a stop waiting for the cars to pass before pulling out.

Saw that guy yesterday and I couldn't believe that they'd have a car parked there so dangerously. I was lucky that the guard was over talking to the guy he'd pulled in because it was a struggle to get down close to 30kph safely without the guy behind running in to me. And it's not as if I was going particularly fast, probably about 50kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

oops

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭gallyer

Zaph wrote: »
    Saw that guy yesterday and I couldn't believe that they'd have a car parked there so dangerously. I was lucky that the guard was over talking to the guy he'd pulled in because it was a struggle to get down close to 30kph safely without the guy behind running in to me. And it's not as if I was going particularly fast, probably about 50kph.

Saw that too, was unbelievable!

He was over with the car as I passed too, will that mean the camera won't have been taking our speed when he's not at it, or is it automatic? I will be seriously pissed off if I get a fine and penalty points for doing 40kph on a road like that, it's total nonsense.

I really feel like writing to the NRA about that speed limit, its so dangerous.

I was driving this morning around 06:30 as usual from blanch to town on n3 and where the speed limit goes into 30kph people keep driving at 80kph! Imagine slowing down to 30kph. There would be few crashes!

Tomas_S wrote: »
    I was driving this morning around 06:30 as usual from blanch to town on n3 and where the speed limit goes into 30kph people keep driving at 80kph! Imagine slowing down to 30kph. There would be few crashes!

I wrote to them yesterday, I do not expect anything back but let's see. I'm just a civilian :D

OK the Garda did reply to me, they said a rep from Blanchardstown Garda station will contact me, if they want I'll give them a demo of the problem.

Perhaps they cannot change the signage due to the law not allowing 40kph anywhere at all so maybe they won't shoot fish in a barrel with 30kph on their speed gun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

let us know how you get on chucknorris but rest assured if you cause increased gardai enforcement in the area you will be hunted down :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

OK the Garda did reply to me, they said a rep from Blanchardstown Garda station will contact me, if they want I'll give them a demo of the problem.

Perhaps they cannot change the signage due to the law not allowing 40kph anywhere at all so maybe they won't shoot fish in a barrel with 30kph on their speed gun.

You could be right there. I read somewhere on Boards before that the engineers deemed the road safe* to drive at 40 but not 50 but there's no option to have a 40kmph speed limit so they had to use 30.

* I presume at worst case scenario, ice or snow or whatever.

Advertisement