Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

awww galway is the best

Options
  • 18-03-2011 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

after walking home alone from town to rahoon {not drunk!}
    i got offered 2 lifts, a cheeseburger, and a coleslaw chip on my travels

sound skin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Good for you girl but I wouldn't make a habit out of it!!!
    Galway isn't the small little place it once was.......

I used to walk home a lot from the Castle in Salthill alone but that was a long time ago and I wouldn't dream of it now.....

There are some scary individuals in Galway these days and you certainly don't want to be meeting them alone at night!!!!
    Get a taxi next time....

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Glad you had a positive experience.

If it was dark, I hope you weren't female, as there have been attacks recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Offered two lifts?..Just be careful walking home so late..the lifts could be completly honest and harmless, but if I was offering lifts to girls walking alone at night, I have to say I would hold back...lotta dodgy people about.
    Good to good home safe but don't make a habit of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Were you offered a lift or a ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Is there a difference ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Is there a difference ????
    A lift is a lift home. A ride is a shag at the side of the road :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ha Ha this is funny. Offered two lifts last night. I'm guessing you were drunk? I made the horrible mistake of going into town with the intention of having 3 or 4 drinks last night. I went into Garavans and the corner I found a seat and in smelled like sh!t..not vomit, but actual sh!t

People walking in the middle of the road. Pissing all over the streets. Women falling over flashing their underwear..some just flashing without falling. Anybody that went out early yesterday seemed to enjoy it. Maybe that was my mistake. To enjoy Paddys Day you have to be crippled drunk

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Ha Ha this is funny. Offered two lifts last night. I'm guessing you were drunk? I made the horrible mistake of going into town with the intention of having 3 or 4 drinks last night. I went into Garavans and the corner I found a seat and in smelled like sh!t..not vomit, but actual sh!t

People walking in the middle of the road. Pissing all over the streets. Women falling over flashing their underwear..some just flashing without falling. Anybody that went out early yesterday seemed to enjoy it. Maybe that was my mistake. To enjoy Paddys Day you have to be crippled drunk

Sorry meant to say they probably guessed you were drunk..brain on slow today, as if I was hungover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I've never been offered a lift home... and I live in Knocknacarra, that's at least an hour's stroll. I walk it a lot, too. Maybe it's because I'm on the larger side. They probably thought I could use the excercise.

(is a guy, btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

Well this woman had a far less positive experience than you just down the road.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/18356-young-woman-attacked-newcastle-area-city

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

There was a woman who was offered a lift on her way home from a night out on the Dyke Road last year and was subjected to a brutal sexual assault for several hours. Don't get into anyones car and keep your head down at night. Galway is not what is used to be.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/11284-students-sex-assault-ordeal-plea-witnesses

drum! wrote: »
    There was a woman who was offered a lift on her way home from a night out on the Dyke Road last year and was subjected to a brutal sexual assault for several hours. Don't get into anyones car and keep your head down at night. Galway is not what is used to be.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/11284-students-sex-assault-ordeal-plea-witnesses

awww galway is the best

Some of ye need to chill out..... no place is 100% safe but Galway is a hell of a lot safer then some big towns(never mind citys) and in world terms it's very safe.

Surprised some of ye even leave your houses :confused:

Some of ye need to chill out..... no place is 100% safe but Galway is a hell of a lot safer then some big towns(never mind citys) and in world terms it's very safe.

I don't think that's what people are getting at. It's not that Galway is any worse than other places. It's the fact that the OP thinks Galway is the best based on gestures which should be seen with a more skeptic view.

Maybe we are all pessimists here and they were kind gestures. But my view at least would be..the OP is either hot and it was guys trying to get some kicks. Or there was something even more sinister at play with the offers of lifts.

In fairness I got offered a lift once by a guy (I'm male) but we were laughing at some guy acting an eejit and he was in traffic while I was walking. It wasn't St. Patricks Day though..Beware Paddys Day and other events anywhere, it's an oppurtunity for some to prey on the weak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Regardless, I am not convinced it is safe for a young woman to walk home in the dead of night, alone, in any city really and having being offered two lifts home sounds a bit dodgy imo..granted there are plenty of godwilling people who might be concerned for a girl alone out that time of night, but who is to know?

Just use your common sense.Get a taxi, get a hackney and don't leave yourself open to something dangerous that could happen. That's all, it's basic cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭TotallyEpic

You must be good looking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Regardless, I am not convinced it is safe for a young woman to walk home in the dead of night, alone, in any city really and having being offered two lifts home sounds a bit dodgy imo.... don't leave yourself open to something dangerous that could happen. That's all, it's basic cop on.

Friends who've worked in the sexual assault area tell me that the majority of sexual assaults happen in women's own home, carried out by people known to them.

I don't advocate being stupid - I wouldn't go down the Dyke Rd or behind the Huntsman at night. I don't wander around town wearing (what looks like) underwear.

But a blanket "never walk alone at night" rule is wayyy too restrictive IMHO. Far better to say "judge the risks: are you under the influence of alcohol or drugs? wearing stupid heels? going somewhere particularly dangerous? looking vulnerable for some reason? If so, catch a taxi."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

For me I would think "what would I tell my daughter in a few years when she is 18 years old and living away from home in Galway"????

I would tell her not to be out walking alone late at night drunk or sober...........End of

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Offering a female you don't know a lift late at night is a bit dubious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Serious amount of assaults here lately, it's scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Only a few years ago I'd walk around that late at night, nothing ever happened but I cringe when I think how foolish I was. Better to kip at a friends if you can't afford a taxi then risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

JustMary wrote: »
    Far better to say "judge the risks: are you under the influence of alcohol or drugs?"

like having consumed either or both wouldn't affect your ability to make sound judgement late at night?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Try being a hungry, hairy fat man and see how many snack boxes and lifts people offer you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

i would like to live in a world where I wouldn't think anything dangerous would happen to the OP in getting lifts from strangers but incidents not just around Galway tells me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Offering a female you don't know a lift late at night is a bit dubious.

That's what I was getting at with my earlier question.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

ah the joys of going home and not having internet access!!

thanks for the concern i should have added i wasnt alone walking home (two boys with me!)

not saying galway is the safest place it was just an observation i made on thursday, people like to share their fast food :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Regardless, I am not convinced it is safe for a young woman to walk home in the dead of night, alone, in any city really and having being offered two lifts home sounds a bit dodgy imo..granted there are plenty of godwilling people who might be concerned for a girl alone out that time of night, but who is to know?

Just use your common sense.Get a taxi, get a hackney and don't leave yourself open to something dangerous that could happen. That's all, it's basic cop on.

All that you say is fair enough about using common sense but the difference between your perceived risk and actual risk is usually poles apart because of how we all think.

Hence the reason why people go to an airport, nervous about flying yet havent given a second thought to the drive they made to get there which is way more dangerous.

We over-react to intentional actions, and under-react to accidents, abstract events, and natural phenomena.
    We over-react to things that offend our morals and under-react to things that dont.
    We over-react to immediate threats and under-react to long-term threats

(Read stuff by Bruce Schneider or Dennis Gilbert if you get a chance)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

ah the joys of going home and not having internet access!!
    No internet? Is you home in the last century?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

ScumLord wrote: »
    No internet? Is you home in the last century?

:P pretty much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

after walking home alone from town to rahoon {not drunk!}
    thanks for the concern i should have added i wasnt alone walking home (two boys with me!)

Sorry, no comprende...

Advertisement