Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scarifier Aerator in Lidl

Options
  • 18-03-2011 7:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

My lawn has a bad moss problem and I was wondering what people think of this product as a way to remove it.

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20110324.p.Electric_Scarifier_Lawn_Aerator

I am also not a gardener at all so was looking for some advice as to he steps to treat this problem.

Can I just run this on it or should I spray it with something to kill the moss first?

The lawn is about 4 years old and has had soem moss in the past but this year it is very bad.

Thanks,
    Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

I was looking at this too as i have a bit of a moss/drainage issue, i got out yesterday and gave it a damn good raking with a steel rake, the amount of moss etc that came up was unreal........so i too am waiting on an expert to say if these are any use vs a good wire raking...and what to do afterwards, do you pitchfork air in or feed it or spread chicken pellets.....the list is endless:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

People must think I work for Amazon or Dr. Hessayoun :-), but there is a great book called the Lawn Expert that you should have if you want a nice lawn. On Amazon, about 4 euro 2nd hand inc. delivery.
    Know nothing about those machines, have seen some bad comments about other 'home-level' machine aerators and scraifiers. Google the model name, you might find feedback from previous years they sold them.
    For now, cut the grass on highest setting, use a moss treatment (lawn sand if you can trust that you can scatter it evenly), let it go completely brown/black. Probaly after a couple of weeks, you can rake it out. Spike the lawn and maybe throw down some seed. Apply a fertiliser in late April. Check again in June and apply another weed/feed if grass looks any way tired or weeds are going strong. Don't forget autumn feed in mid-september/october.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lansing

I am thinking of purchasing one of these machines too!

I have a lawn that is 6 years old and never scarified or aerated. Up to last year the lawn was reasonably healthy but didn't have much growth last year (stunted) and is now showing quite a lot of moss in patches.

My question is should I aerate the lawn or should I scarify it first? Does it make a difference as to which task should be performed first?

Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭keithcan

I got a Lidl machine. Found the scarifier v good, brought up loads of 'thatch'. really good for the lawn. However, I am convinced that effective aerating is the key. If that's not done, then the moss etc will build back up and, naturally over time, you'll get more thatch so scarifying will be needed.

And that's where imo the Lidl maching didn't do as well. The aerating function seemed to simply 'gouge' the ground, not punch holes to improve drainage.

You can get scarifiers without the aerating added function, probably cheaper, and that's where I'd go. I now don't use the aeration attachment. I still have to find a way to do that part effectively. I've very big lawn areas, so manual (forking or whatever) is probably not a realistic option. Would be interested if anyone has found a mechanical way of effectively doing aeration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Antiquo

keithcan wrote: »
    .... I've very big lawn areas, so manual (forking or whatever) is probably not a realistic option. Would be interested if anyone has found a mechanical way of effectively doing aeration.

KC - there are machines that you can use which pull a plug out of the lawn and this is then back filled with sand as used on golf courses the length and breadth of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭lansing

After purchasing one of the Lidl machines, I gave it a go on my lawn over the weekend.

I found it very effective at scarifying, in fact it was almost too good! I moved the lawn tight and picked up 2 x refuge size black bag. After scarifying I picked up a further 8 bags! The lawn is very bare now, even has a very "muddy look" when looking at it from a height. I reseeded too and watered it in last night.

How long should I wait before I re-mow the lawn again? I'm guessing the seeds will take 3 weeks to start growing and perhaps a further 3 weeks to get some coverage back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EPC35

Just bought one yesterday. It did an amazing job removing the moss. There is a bit of a knack to using it effectively alright. If it wasnt for the fact that the handle breaking on me I'd recommend it without a second thought. Gonna see if Lidl will replace it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

EPC35 wrote: »
    Just bought one yesterday. It did an amazing job removing the moss. There is a bit of a knack to using it effectively alright. If it wasnt for the fact that the handle breaking on me I'd recommend it without a second thought. Gonna see if Lidl will replace it

Still in stock after 6 years!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Done with a hand scarifier. Painful but worth it :)
    https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2056646930

• Advertisement
Advertisement