Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Question on etiquette when staying a few days in same site

• 18-03-2011 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello all,

I was just wondering what is the story when you want to stay in the same campsite for a few days in your camper but want to drive the camper around during the day, does this mean you forfit your space?

Anyone give me a few tips on the etiquette of this in ireland and France?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

put a towel on the area ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 freewheeling

Yeah we've left a few bits and pieces about the place - clothes line with something on it, chair in the corner, etc and had no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

All of the above works.....we also have a sign (home made) on a lenght of 2x1 that states "Pitch in use"

Never had any problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Leave something big/heavy/awkward in the middle of the pitch and it becomes apparent that it is in use. It's perfectly normal and acceptable.

Sometimes we would leave a few bikes chained together - you can't accidentally lift several bikes out of the way at the same time. Alternatively, put down some wind breakers on the pitch - again someone can't accidentally move them. What we've done before is to put up a couple of wind breakers in a circle and leave all our bits and bobs in the middle so they don't blow away, go AWOL or cause other problems while we're away.

Probably not a good idea to leave things like gas cannisters there by themselves as they are relatively valuable (I know bikes are too) and easily lifted (bikes chained together aren't).

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭Bessa

The pitches are numbered in France, so reception will know if the pitch is vacant or not if someone wanted a particular pitch. Just leave something on the site when you leave the camp site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Some camp sites I have been to I am walked to the spot assigned so it will not be taken.

Other's though I have been told I can park on any pitch so on those ones you certainly need to leave some clutter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

I had a spare Reg. plate which I attached a piece of Aluminium on and I just stick this on the pitch when I wish to leave it.
    Never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Furgo

Thanks all for clearing that up and the tips?

As a follow on question, is it generally acceptable to put out your awning at sites or do some sites charge an extra few quid for this luxury?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Depends on site.

Depends on the awning too.

We never had to pay for an awning. We had a roll out Omnistore one, with no sides or front. To us, it was just a shade that filled the gap between our campervan and the edge of the pitch anyway.

I think most places charge for the enormous, monstrous ones that you get on caravans which can effectively double the size of the pitch used. From the owners perspective using one of those monsters means that they can get in less units so the charge is warranted in my view.

z

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Yeah, zag but if you have a tarmac pitch with a green beside it before the next tarmac pitch then that would be yours until you leave wouldn't it? They're not likely to have another tent of someone else in between the campers

If you have hard pitches with grass in between then the pitch widths are effectively fixed.

However, if you have soft pitches where the pitch width isn't fixed then a combination of caravan, monster awning, car, and (knowing some people) a few hundred metres of windbreaker adds up to a lot more space than taken by a campervan and roll out owning.

I'm just saying is all . . .

z

Advertisement