Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The WHV Poll why have you got one

Options
  • 18-03-2011 9:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

Right well a few things have me wondering this.

We appear to be getting WHV enquirys of a more permanent nature. I was hoping to get a bit of an idea as to what the WHV is being viewed as in Ireland and by the Irish in Australia and NZ.

If you are on a 1st or 2nd WHV or are intending to apply for one please throw your 2 cents in.
    Or if you have a 5th option let me know.

Why did you take out a WHV? 40 votes

I wanted to travel and see Australia.
    0% 0 votes
    I want to use it to get sponsored and stay in Australia
    32% 13 votes
    I want out of Ireland for a year at least.
    22% 9 votes
    My mate was going so I decided it was not a bad idea.
    45% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The construction industry collapsed and most architectural practices were dishing out large scale redundancies. We survived the longest out of all the big practices, but once the axe fell, I knew I was unlikely to get a job (ironically I was offered a job the next day, which I declined).
    So I decided to come to Australia because I always wanted to see it, I had a good few friends out here already, but ultimately losing my job was the catalyst. I planned for a full year, but I clearly remember saying I might not be back for two years quietly to my dad at the airport. It didn't take long out here to see that the opportunities are greater and sponsorship has been the ultimately goal. It's a 4 year plan and as of now, I don't intend of staying here longer than 6 years total.

But plans change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Main motivation was to see Australia, maybe work for while and see how things went. We had option to stay as gf was offered job/sponsorship but had to return to Ireland due to family illness.
    Came home in 2009 but heading back next month for 4 years, visa was granted this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I wanted out of Ireland. Now that I'm over here i wouldn't mind staying for longer than one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Just to put an even different spin on it..

I came over in 2006 on a WHV with my Aussie g/f, with the intention of applying for a defacto spouse visa at the end of it. Needed the 12 months living together before we could go the defacto route and the WHV was perfect for it.

It's not just a post-recession thing to use the WHV as a stepping stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Came over to get away from Ireland, really needed a change of scenery.

I'm enjoying it to a certain extent, but I’ve found it hard to get work and will start my first day on Monday:D but I only get paid if I make sales, total commission...should be fun ah?

But since I’ve arrived I’ve decided to get into the technology site and I’ve started to blog and tweet...it’s kind of a part of things I want to do before I’m 30

So I just hope this job can pay my way and I can save up a little bit as well...fingers crossed, toes crossed...everything crossed ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A very long time ago I came over on a WHV it was always in the back of my mind I might stay. At the time I had shag all skills and could not stay. In short I was living in some naive planet where fortune favours the lazy.

Since I live here now the best advice I could give is skill up before arrival.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i presume this thread is for NZ WHV's too.

just before i started my final year in college a few of my mates went to oz. one of them decided he was going to go to nz the year after. as i would be finished college then i said id go over too as it seemed like an adventure. i finished college in june 2006.

i knew frankly nothing about anything of nz other than rugby. i didnt know about the mountains, beachs, volcanoes, bungee jumping, or even how long it took to get there.

i also thought the lonely planet was some type of greenpeace / environmental book!!

i had a great adventure, did alot of great things, and have very good memory's of the place. at one stage i was seriously thinking about staying over there.

i went back for a wedding at christmass and as soon as i stepped off the plane into the brilliant sunshine all i could think was why on earth did i leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

I applied for my WHV in Jan as I would be 31 by the end of Jan, I work in IT and still have a job in Ireland. I got this as a backup plan just in case a loose my job so I have until Jan 2012 to start my 1 year !!

For the sake of €170 odd euro It was well worth it, even If I never have to use. At least I have the option of heading over if the worst happens

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

I came to Australia cause travelling is something I've always wanted to do and doing it now while I'm still young enough and no commitments etc. So far its the best thing I've ever done. I came over on my own and have made great friends. Been to Melbourne and Sydney so far. Working in Melbourne at the momant but hoping to visit Queensland soon. I'm undecided so far if I want to stay the 2 years. Keeping my options open for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Hi rebelboy,

What kind of work did you pick up?

• Advertisement

Ok so for the lead its neck and neck between coming over to travel and just getting out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I'm planning on heading over before the year is out. My contract in my current job is up in July so I'm hoping to get a 3 month renewal onit and then head over in October some time. My girlfriend has been unable to find a job since finishing college last May so she's sick of it here.

Plus I've always wanted to go and this year seems as good a time as any other considering how tough it is on the jobs front at the moment. I'm sure it's hard to get a job in Oz atm too but at least there's better weather and it's a change of scenery. If we end up not being able to get jobs and have to come home after 4 or 5 months, so be it, at least it will be 4/5 months away from here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 183 ✭✭Paracore

Hi sorry to go a bit off topic but I'm thinking of heading down in October. How long does it take to process a WHV like when would I need to apply for one to get away in October and also how much do they cost?

Frisbee wrote: »
    I'm planning on heading over before the year is out. My contract in my current job is up in July so I'm hoping to get a 3 month renewal onit and then head over in October some time. My girlfriend has been unable to find a job since finishing college last May so she's sick of it here.

Plus I've always wanted to go and this year seems as good a time as any other considering how tough it is on the jobs front at the moment. I'm sure it's hard to get a job in Oz atm too but at least there's better weather and it's a change of scenery. If we end up not being able to get jobs and have to come home after 4 or 5 months, so be it, at least it will be 4/5 months away from here.
    I noticed your Mod ships there. The suburb of Croydon, Melbourne has a American Football team.

Paracore wrote: »
    Hi sorry to go a bit off topic but I'm thinking of heading down in October. How long does it take to process a WHV like when would I need to apply for one to get away in October and also how much do they cost?
    Mate this can all be found in the FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Applied for the WHV, but am trying to find a job before I arrive. Possibility for sponsorship upon arrival maybe if I am successful in the position after the allowed 6 months. Is this hope basically impossible?

I am in Marketing & Advertising with 3 years experience in Dublin and a masters but doubt that means much tbh.

I have noticed on sites like Seek that it states at the end of all job opportunities "You must have the right to live and work in this location to apply for this job." - does a WHV qualify you for this requirement even?

Yes but getting the job would be a lot harder. You really have to be here to get a WHV job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Yeah I assumed it would be alright. They would be taking a massive gamble hiring someone without even seeing them in person.

Sure I have nothing to lose (except dignity) but get rejected. :D

Had a person from a Visa agencey (no names) ring me the other day, and the price for a sponsorship Visa was astronomical!!! That is why I was trying this route.

Advertisement