Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Adams

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

lordgoat wrote: »

Had he played Jacksonville Skyline i'd be happier than ever.

Same for me!!
    16 days was good enough though!
    He's such a catalogue to pick from though, it's v hard to please everyone!

His voice sounded great though and hearing him live is magic. I brought a mate who never heard of him before. He was in awe after the gig and can't wait to listen to all his albums.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

ya his voice was amazing last night, really on top form.

there's not enough whiskeytown in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Squelchy wrote: »
    Very underwhelmed by last night's show. Performance-wise it was so-so, setlist-wise it was pretty dull - Sylvia Plath? Must be the weakest song on Gold. And Strawberry feckin' Wine just goes on and on...
    But I guess that's just acoustic sets for you. I knew what to expect to some degree.
    Audience had its share of idiots too. (Can't blame Ryan for that though, obviously) When you're playing a set that intimate you could probably do without some gombeen mouthpiece woman bellowing "I See Monsters" at you during every tune-up.

I'm glad to hear the positive reviews though, glad you lot enjoyed it. Not one of his better shows for me though. Bring back The Cardinals!

Yes that person was really annoying I agree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

Having heard that Carolina Rain was played at the Cork gig i was really looking forward to hearing it but alas it wasn't to be.

I was happy overall and he did a great range of tunes, from new to old, 16 days was prob my favourite along with Let it Ride.
    I took my brother with me who had never heard any Ryan Adams tunes before and he was well chuffed.

Also Jesse Malin deserves a mention, thought he was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

lordgoat wrote: »
    While at times i felt it dragged and i can see where you're coming from but (serious question) what did you expect from a Ryan Adams acoustic show?

Indeed, indeed. And it's not like I can claim ignorance. I don't know, I guess it was more the choice of songs, than the mood or tempo.
    I can't abide "Sylvia Plath" personally, I think it's dull and nonsensical. But each to their own. And I'd concede Gold is his most "accessible" album, but I don't think it's too cheesy or corny - it's got some great tracks and La Cienega kicks the crap out of everything else on the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Any live recording of the Dublin gig floating around? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

If anyone fancies going to the Belfast gig on Friday, I can't make it, so I've just popped the tickets on adverts at cost price.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

Didn't get to the gig this time around, anyone been to it? Care to share your experience? Setlist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Was at the gig tonight. Played a good few from the new album. Played till 11pm.
    Finished the night with a cover of Holy Diver by Dio which was unexpected. Us Irish must not be a able to control our kidneys or something cos after every fecking song about 10 or 15 people would have to get up to go to the toilet or to the bar so making everyone in the row having to move. Even Ryan was commenting about it and how it was like having a different crowd after every song.

Was at the gig tonight. Played a good few from the new album. Played till 11pm.
    Finished the night with a cover of Holy Diver by Dio which was unexpected. Us Irish must not be a able to control our kidneys or something cos after every fecking song about 10 or 15 people would have to get up to go to the toilet or to the bar so making everyone in the row having to move. Even Ryan was commenting about it and how it was like having a different crowd after every song.

The tiny space between rows of seats in the Olympia doesn't help when people are walking by either!
    I didn't bother going as I caught him last time around, and didn't expect anything new from him. From looking at the setlist, I was right.
    I hope anyone who missed out the last time enjoyed it though. He's amazing live on a solo acoustic tour.

Setlist from last night:
    Sweet Carolina
    If I am a stranger
    ashes and fire
    winding wheel
    dirty rain
    rescue blues
    pls don't let me go
    let it ride
    sweet lil gal
    english girls
    Lucky now
    chains of love
    firecracker
    16 days
    new york, new york
    do i wait
    come pick me up
    "mr. cat"
    Encore:
    Holy diver

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I didn't bother going as I caught him last time around

I thought last night's show kicked the sh*t out of last June's. He was way more into it himself for one thing.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it, rekindled my love for the man.

Squelchy wrote: »
    I thought last night's show kicked the sh*t out of last June's. He was way more into it himself for one thing.

please dont say that.
    I'm still trying to justify my only ever time I missed him here by my own choice :o

:P

Glad you enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Brilliant gig. After the 1st three songs he really loosened up and had great fun, and naturally enough the music was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Travors

Brilliant gig last night. RA was in great form. Very funny too, he sure doesn't like those country music awards.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    please dont say that.
    I'm still trying to justify my only ever time I missed him here by my own choice !

Ha, sorry. :o
    He was terrific though.

Advertisement