Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Couriers/Messengers in Waterford City

• 18-03-2011 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi,
    I was wondering is there any bike couriers in Waterford as i'm a college student looking for some work as I need cash. I went into Spokes and they said there was nobody they knew doing it but surly there must be a few couriers in the city. I contacted BM couriers but the man who is running it said I was the only one to contact him yet (but his business in only new ie. a year or so old).

Any replies would be appreciated,
    Jason.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I just think the demand is not there. Think about it...how many scenarios can you envisage where you'd need to pay someone to deliver something to somewhere else in Waterford?

It works in Dublin and London because of the heavy traffic and of course they are massive business capitals. Dropping needles from the wool shop down to the threads shop...I dunno...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I just think the demand is not there.
    I agree.

I cycle around Waterford. It never really has a speed advantage over cars; maybe at 08.30 in the morning, but that won't keep anyone in a job. Also a bike courier can carry less than someone with a scooter or motorbike.

Maybe you could offer your services to a shop to deliver sandwiches at lunch time? But that would only be about an hours work a day. But even with that, you'd probably be as well off to walk with them in the city centre rather than cycle.

Plus Waterford is a lot more hilly than Dublin, so the weight you can carry would be less. I suppose the running costs for a bike is lower than a scooter (if you enjoy cycling you can stay fit and be paid for it), but I really think Waterford is too small.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So what we'bve learned is if traffic gets worse in Waterford more people get jobs as couriers on bikes ;)

Seriously though, traffic isn't heavy enough during the day to massively delay people in cars/bikes, its really at peak times is it an issue and even then you can go different routes alot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Plus... Waterford has a few hills in the town. You'd be bolloxed!

Advertisement