Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing paper stock

Options
  • 18-03-2011 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi folks,

We're considering getting a catalogue produced for our retail business. I'm looking for guidance on what paper stock we should use.

I also need some reference point for choosing paper weights... for example... what would the paper stock used for an argos catalogue be?

We'd be looking at something around 64 pages and 10 products per page... what would people recommend?

Thanks

CC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

Don't have it to hand, but from memory an Argos catalogue would probably have a cover of around 250gsm and 70-80gsm for pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Paper weights do not relate paper thickness!

Coated paper is much thinner than non coated, weight for weight.

Paper choice would also depend on what you are selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

actually they do, Coated paper has a different finish to uncoated.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    actually they do, Coated paper has a different finish to uncoated.
    Let me explain this simply; 100gm² offset has a sheet thickness of 0.014 cm. and 120 gm² coated has a sheet thickness of 0.011 cm.

Laid paper would be even thicker.

Coated paper can be glossy or matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Hi folks,

We're considering getting a catalogue produced for our retail business. I'm looking for guidance on what paper stock we should use.

I also need some reference point for choosing paper weights... for example... what would the paper stock used for an argos catalogue be?

We'd be looking at something around 64 pages and 10 products per page... what would people recommend?

Thanks

CC

Your best bet would be to speak with the printer your using or if you haven't picked one yet go into a couple and ask for a sample pack of the paper stocks they carry and ask to see some samples of similar jobs they've printed. A decent printer will have a good range of standard papers but every printer has their few extra options they've picked up.

Think carefully about what your printing and what you need to get from it. Argos doesn't make their catalogues to last and they print millions of them so if they rip/fall apart folks can just grab another one....are you planning on printing new catalogues on a regular timetable like they do? Or do you want to print something that clients can hold on to and reference for a longer period? How does it get to the client ie does it need to have super shinny shelf appeal to catch someones eye or will you be giving them direct to the client? Will they need to write anywhere on it like say to fill out an order forum? The more information and clearer you can be with the printer about what you want the better informed their recommendation can be for you with regards paper choice and finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

Thanks for the advice all.

@ztoical: Thanks in particular for that it's quite helpful.

Regarding our product - we see ourselves as targeting a relatively niche sector with higher-end products. We are retail, so target customers directly. I'd envisage producing around 4000 copies and producing a catalogue once per year at the most.

We would like it to appear higher quality than, say the argos or, Smyths Toys catalogues for example.

Regarding the best value - would I be better off looking to get this printed in Ireland, Europe or China? From some online quotes, it seems it would cost around $4500 for printing and $1000 in shipping costs. Are there downsides to getting the printing done in China - does it cost significantly more at home?

Thanks again all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

..and what if the finished product doesn't meet your expectations? Or has print errors etc.? Send it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

JustinOval wrote: »
    ..and what if the finished product doesn't meet your expectations? Or has print errors etc.? Send it back?

Would an Irish printer take back 4000 copies of a catalogue if you complained it didn't meet your expectations or had print errors?

Would an Irish printer take back 4000 copies of a catalogue if you complained it didn't meet your expectations or had print errors?

In my experience, yes.

What does your designer suggest? They should have a working relationship with a printer, and will be in a good position to advise on stock, budget, and where to make savings etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

4000 would be a small to medium size run, not massive but large enough to look at off set printers rather then digital. Honestly if you've never had anything printed before and your not printing 10,000+ I would stay away from printers in China and India. I've worked with serveral book publishers who get everything printed in either China or India but they are large companies with graphic designers on staff who deal direct with the printer to huge print runs done every week. There are some great printers over there but it can be a mine field if you've no knowledge of the industry there.

At least for the first run I would try and go local so you can sit down with the printer face to face and discuss the project, be able to see and touch the paper stock and finish options. Just make sure to keep records of everything with regards to what options you've gone for finish wise and make sure to get a proof copy printed first and if your not happy make changes and get another proof copy, don't just say you want X changed for the full print run....you may end up paying a little more for that first run to get the look and finish you want. Remember the rule measure twice cut once so check and double check the proof before giving any ok to print a larger run because that is were alot people run into issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭mountain

Print the cover on 300gsm silk, text pages on 150 silk.
    Ask printer for an option of matt cello on the cover.
    Call around to them and ask to see samples of the above prior to print.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

mountain wrote: »
    Print the cover on 300gsm silk, text pages on 150 silk.
    Ask printer for an option of matt cello on the cover.
    Call around to them and ask to see samples of the above prior to print.

Probably decent enough for what should be a high quality finish.

I'd be asking the OP to get their designer to make the decisions though - if he wants the cover vibrant and rich, a matt finish won't help - plus, they may be using spot UV varnishes, folds for pockets in the cover etc ertc which will all dictate what type of finish they can use.

Advertisement