Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Lease with a non-fixed term

Options
  • 18-03-2011 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to move out of my place tsoon.
    It's a shared accommodation, each person deals with the landlord direct, ie we don't split the total rent, it is fixed per room regardless of of many rooms are empty.
    I have a standard bond of 4 weeks.
    I told the land lord that I'm moving out, I gave two weeks notice. They insist that I find somebody to take my room or else I forfeit my bond.
    There is no fixed term
    . I could understand their standpoint if I was break a lease agreement. But I am not.

What are my rights. I read the fairtrading.nsw.gov.au guidelines but they only mention ending at the end of a fixed lease. Is a non fixed term even legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

This:

http://www.tenants.org.au/publish/factsheet-09-you-want-to-leave/index.php

would suggest you have to give 3 weeks. At the end of the day though, it would come down to what your lease says.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Typical, next site has it right there.

21 days. Bingo.
    Bond will be returned.

Vorsprung wrote: »
    This:

http://www.tenants.org.au/publish/factsheet-09-you-want-to-leave/index.php

would suggest you have to give 3 weeks. At the end of the day though, it would come down to what your lease says.
    Yeah, that's the site I opened up, our posts were the same minute :D

It wouldn't matter what the lease says, the law is the law. A lease can't have illegal conditions, or else the law would be pointless really

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Mellor wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the site I opened up, our posts were the same minute :D

It wouldn't matter what the lease says, the law is the law. A lease can't have illegal conditions, or else the law would be pointless really

Is your bond registered?

LL's angle is that i'm technically a lodger, so no rights for me
    cnut

• Advertisement
Advertisement