Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5D Mk II Lens Advice/Help

• 18-03-2011 1:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I managed to sell my 500D & all my accessories so now I'm on the hunt for a decent lense to go with my new 5D MK II.

Unfortunately, when I sold my 500D, I had to sell my nifty fifty and Sigma 70-300mm lense as well so currently without a lense.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction or give me some advice on the best lense to go for.

The majority of shots I will take will probably be landscape/scenery, some portraits and the odd motor sport/track day event. I do have five weddings coming up this year that I will be attending and would like to take a few decent snaps on the day also with the intention of giving two of the couples an album of shots I took on the day as a gift (I'm going as a guest btw, not as the photog)

If I go back to the store where I bought the camera, I should be able to get a discount on the 24-105mm f4 L or 24-70mm f2.8 L lense, should I go for one of these or can you recommend a different lens that would be a better option for what I am snapping?

Realistically my budget at the moment won't stretch more than 700 - 900 euros, but I think that is a good enough budget to start off on.

Any helps or tips would be great. I'm going to try and make the purchase today (Friday) as I'll be heading away for the weekend and want to bring the camera too!!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Second hand 17-40L superb lens and a great wide angle for the 5dmk2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I'd be more inclined to go for the 24-105 (new or SH) based on what you're going to use it for. It's very versatile, and sharp wide-open. I often use it as a general purpose walking-around lens. I think the extra length would be useful for the motor sports and even the portraits.

The 17-40L would be great in combination with other lenses - but a bit limiting for your subjects if you only have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

For "700 - 900" euro you'd pick up a second hand 24-70L and that'll let you cover everything you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭VisionaryP

24-70 2.8 should be first choice if you can afford it, but 17-40 is a very good second choice if the budget is limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Borderfox wrote: »
    Cameraman wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to go for the 24-105 (new or SH) based on what you're going to use it for. It's very versatile, and sharp wide-open. I often use it as a general purpose walking-around lens. I think the extra length would be useful for the motor sports and even the portraits.

The 17-40L would be great in combination with other lenses - but a bit limiting for your subjects if you only have one.
    Promac wrote: »
    For "700 - 900" euro you'd pick up a second hand 24-70L and that'll let you cover everything you mentioned.
    VisionaryP wrote: »
    24-70 2.8 should be first choice if you can afford it, but 17-40 is a very good second choice if the budget is limited.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm kind of swayed towards the 24-105 as it gives me better length, I know I will probably end up picking up a 70 - 300mm at some stage in the future, but I think that the 24 - 105 would be the best choice for now.

Any other options out there I should consider.

Also, the budget I set of 700 - 900 is really on the bottom end of the scale (700) as I have to factor in a new bag, filter and some other items too.

Thanks again for the help, keep it coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Having owned and used all three lenses mentioned so far on a 5DmkII, I'd go with the 24-70L. It's the only one of the three I've held onto (sold the other two on) and it's my default lens (i.e. it's always attached to the camera when sitting in the bag).

The other two only go as wide af f4, and you will end up in situations where you feel like you need more light. Also, I just found that the images that the 24-70 produced were just, well, better.

gloobag wrote: »
    Having owned and used all three lenses mentioned so far on a 5DmkII, I'd go with the 24-70L. It's the only one of the three I've held onto (sold the other two on) and it's my default lens (i.e. it's always attached to the camera when sitting in the bag).

The other two only go as wide af f4, and you will end up in situations where you feel like you need more light. Also, I just found that the images that the 24-70 produced were just, well, better.

Thanks for the info gloobag.

Am I right in saying that this lens would not have IS? Silly question, but does this have much effect? I would tend to go for something with IS, simply cause its like a comfort knowing that I have it in case my hands aren't steady enough for a shot?

I'm leaning towards this one now, hmm, decisions, decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

No, it doesn't have IS, although apparently the next revision of the lens will. I really don't use IS at all, I've sold all my IS lenses except for one, a 70-200 f2.8. I pretty much always have it turned off. With a 5DmkII, the high ISO performance is so good, that to me the expense of an IS lens just isn't justified. I'd much rather bump up my ISO and live with a little noise to get a decent shutter speed, than have the IS rattling around, draining the **** out of my battery.

gloobag wrote: »
    No, it doesn't have IS, although apparently the next revision of the lens will. I really don't use IS at all, I've sold all my IS lenses except for one, a 70-200 f2.8. I pretty much always have it turned off. With a 5DmkII, the high ISO performance is so good, that to me the expense of an IS lens just isn't justified. I'd much rather bump up my ISO and live with a little noise to get a decent shutter speed, than have the IS rattling around, draining the **** out of my battery.

Still being what I would consider a noob to myself, would you say it would be better for me to start with maybe an IS lens and work my way up. Or should I take the plunge and just go for this? I'm thinking just go for this as it will obviously help me improve my shots if I don't have the IS to lean on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

With the lens being f2.8 all the way through the focal length you shouldn't notice the lack of IS.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You should be able to hand hold this at 1/60th at full stretch. As pointed out before the high ISO performance of full frame sensor means you can bump it way up without much noise penalty and you can open up to f2.8.

While IS is nice in this case it's Belts and Braces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

24-105 for the win. Versatile range, L quality and IS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Hi Borderfox

Recently got a 5d MkII myself and on the look out for a good quality second hand 17-40L... do you happen to know anyone with one going?

Solyad wrote: »
    Hi Borderfox

Recently got a 5d MkII myself and on the look out for a good quality second hand 17-40L... do you happen to know anyone with one going?

Keep an eye on Adverts.ie and Ebay

Yip, doing that...

Cheapest I can find new in Dublin is 805 down in Gunns, which is not a bad price but am on the lookout still.

Its a superb lens, I got mine for €400 about two years ago second hand. No lens hood so had to fork out for one of them

Its a superb lens, I got mine for €400 about two years ago second hand. No lens hood so had to fork out for one of them

Great price there. Have seen the 16-35L second hand for a grand also but hard to justify the extra cost...

Solyad wrote: »
    Great price there. Have seen the 16-35L second hand for a grand also but hard to justify the extra cost...

Unless you do a lot of low light stuff there is no need for the 16-35L, I get a lot of use out of the 17-40L even at winter weddings in low light on the 5dmk1

Advertisement