Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best WW1 Trenches book

Options
  • 18-03-2011 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Looking for a book to read before a trip to Ypres , anyone recommend a decent one

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

dario28 wrote: »
    Looking for a book to read before a trip to Ypres , anyone recommend a decent one

From an Irish perspective I loved this book:

http://www.greatwar.ie/assoc.html
    ForlornHope1.jpg

A Forlorn Hope : The Royal Dublin Fusiliers in the Kaiser's Battle March 1918.

By Sean Connolly, Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association.

Marking the 90th anniversary of the end of the First World War, this new publication relates the experience of the 1st and 2nd Battalions of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers during the German Offensive in March 1918. The Irish participation in this battle is less well known than in the Battles of the Somme, Messines and Passchendaele. The major German attack, launched in the Somme region on 21 March 1918, almost succeeded. It was the last opportunity for Germany to win the war before the arrival of the American forces in France. Known as the Kaiserschlacht - the Kaiser's Battle, its outcome was decisive.

This book complements the material drawn from official records and maps with many individual stories rediscovered through the work of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association. Over 320 Dublin Fusiliers were killed during the battle. Some of the last of "The Pals from Suvla Bay" died in the battle.

128 pages. Colour.

The price is €12 plus postage. Available from the Association via email rdfa@eircom.net

It is not Ypres specific however so it may not suit your needs. You could however read it in an evening or two as it is a short book, some great anecdotes and photos too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

http://www.guide-books.co.uk/

Check out major Holts books on the site above. Excellent source of info, the maps are a must too, when I bought a couple of books they included free maps. The books are well worth the read even if your not going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

Morlar wrote: »

A Forlorn Hope : The Royal Dublin Fusiliers in the Kaiser's Battle March 1918.

By Sean Connolly, Royal Dublin Fusiliers Association.

The price is €12 plus postage. Available from the Association via email rdfa@eircom.net .

you could always get this one. i know Morlar likes ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sean-Connolly-A-Forlorn-Hope-Royal-Dublin-Fusilier-/400199814226?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item5d2dc48c52

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭oncevotedff

41UAkZUIhFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

On a side not that new book shop that's opened on the bottom of Grafton st,beside Foxes,the one with the 3 euro signs in the window,has a bit of a selection on WW1 +2 books. I picked up 8 books in total at the weekend,7 of them on the wars or relating to them for the princely sum of €20, worth a look if passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

just finished reading "Departed Warriors" by Jerry Murland. Very much about individuals from his family covering WW1 and WW2.

Definitely one I'd recommend for anyone thinking about their own family connections to either conflict.

for anyone with a range of books on WW1, I'd recommend cataloguing them on www.Librarything.com.

Advertisement