Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Phantom As We Knew It

Options
  • 18-03-2011 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

I was going to add a post to one of the other threads but thought a new thread would have more impact in case any people from Phantom are reading.
    Don’t want to repeat too much of what was said in the other threads put Phantom is dying a death. The latest schedule changes, the miserable excuses for songs on heavy rotation and the blatant commercial overtones on everything is nauseating.

Its nothing we shouldn’t expect after the recent takeover but it doesn’t make it any more nauseating.

The talk-show style slot with Alison Curtis is a clear attempt to compete with their contemporary pop stations and their drivel talk-shows. Its mind-numbing. Alison doesn’t have the sense of humour Simon does and there’s feck all chemistry between her and Roisin. Its just plain boring. Talking about accidents, or favourite colours or whatever sh*te she is peddling. Her accent and style are grating as well but that’s just a personal thing, not her fault, she seems to be giving it her best.

Claire Beck is grand but not a patch on Ritchie. Simple as that. I just cant imagine ANY Phantom listener who enjoyed Drivetime before, tuning in to hear her and enjoying it. Spin DJ at the end of the day. Again, not her fault, look at the new management for this sh*t.

The playlist now (and for a good while) is getting more ridiculous. Heavy rotation of stuff like L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N . (jaw-droppingly bland), Glasvegas (like a car alarm), Belle and Sebastian (pretty OK but 50 times a day?). Its depressing just typing that sentence.

And as for Vogue etc...hand me the gin! Jaysus wept...

None of this is surprising given the direction that was clearly the ambition behind the takeover. I just hope they know what they’re doing. All I can see happening in the short-term at least is Phantom losing all their old listeners and not gaining enough new ones because they don’t have the reputation or big names. They could leave themselves in no mans land and its all the new management will deserve. I just feel sorry for the good presenters left on the show who are trying to keep ‘er lit.

I’ve never switched off Phantom so many times in disgust as I have in the last few months. Its now at the point where I would only listen to the guys in the morning. I won’t deny that I’ll switch on during the day from time to time but its impossible to leave it running any more. Michelle’s songs are pretty good but like the other DJs she is shackled into playing the tripe on the playlist and the talk aint great.

I’m quite sure the new management wouldn’t give a flying f*ck about my opinions since I’m not the kind of listener they’re interested in but thought I’d say my piece anyway.

It’s all about the bling really isn’t it? Corporate ambition over substance. There is a reality to this that's undeniable, it would be naive to think otherwise but where's the line? Those in Phantom who made a deal with the devil are equally to blame, but I don’t want to come over too hippy with all this, in fairness I guess it might be hard to refuse a bag of cash as reward for your years of endeavour. As long as they can sleep at night I suppose.
    Terrible pity.

There’s certainly no way back from here. Phantom as we knew it is with O'Leary in the grave. Wonder where the ‘new Phantom’ will come from?

I'm finished :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

the playlist is terrible.

it is insulting being forced to listen to the Wombats instead of irish acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I gave up listening a loooooong time ago!
    What annoys me is that fact that they got a license as an alternative station, if they can't make it as an alternative station then they should give the license back and let someone else have a go. Not make it a mainstream station-of which we have enough already-and leave the alternative scene have to go back to the pirate stations to find some decent tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i hope xfm don't see an opportunity there. the repetition on their london station was dreadful. every 3 hours.
    this could be rte 2xm's chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I rarely listen to phantom anymore. Any time I do they usually have Muse on. Wow, Muse. How edgy and alternative of them. Sometimes they might get creative and mix things up by playing some Kings of Leon.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

I switched off a while back, listen to nova instead, its moderately better - at least they play pearl jam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I switched off a while back, listen to nova instead, its moderately better - at least they play pearl jam.
    Funnily enough, I'm a talk-radio type of guy and had to rent a car recently.

Nova was on one of the presets and I was greatly impressed.

Phantom seem to be chasing the Lowest Common Denominator recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

on Nova - I find that repeat the same music a little too much, and some of the presenters are really annoying. but it could Improve, its still relatively new.

have other Phantom listeners switched over to Nova yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Yeah, for a few days and then it got totally boring. You could easily predict the next track!
    I guess this country is just to small for a proper alternative station or two, in order to survive it would seem you have to chase the heard and that means playing the same old, day in day out, treat your listener like sheep and watch the money roll in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

have to agree phantom os gone to the dogs , you can nearly tell what time od day it is by the song there playin . ive started listening to nova ,,not a whole pile better but at least they play alot of acdc,
    the dj,s arent great but there only finding there feet. bye bye phantom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

chris_d wrote: »
    the playlist is terrible.

There was an article a couple of weeks ago in the Sunday Times Culture section about how despite there being a decent amount of radio stations in the country the play lists are basically the same, with one point the author made was that Phantom, despite being touted as alternative, on one sample day played a large number of songs that pop stations such as 98 and 104 played that same day. That was a pretty damning statistic. It's Nova for me too for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

One word. Nova.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Live Drive on Dub City Fm plays the best alt/indie music of any show out there.103.2 4-7 in the afternoon, John Neary will get you home and play ace music while he does so.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

I actually thought that the ratio of repeated songs to decent stuff had improved somewhat since the new format was introduced, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be creeping back again (if I hear that stupid LIFEGOESON thing again, I am going to start screaming at the radio). I've had Phantom on in the mornings pretty much non-stop recently, but I have to switch off once that chat show comes on after lunch, because I find it impossible to work to inane conversation about somebody's favourite colour. At least if they have to do an afternoon talk show, it could have a bit more bite - you can do some interviews with a bit of a social conscience, without having to go all Joe Duffy on it. Or even talk to people about the Irish music industry?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Lost interest in Phantom a long long time ago. Listen to Nova in the car these days and am rarely let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

A bad phantom will always be better than radio "middle of the road" Nova. Phantom has changed for the worse with shiite chat show efforts and the edges rounded on their playlists but c'mon people, Nova? As o.p. said, give the licence back and let others have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

not me, Nova seems ****, though so does Phantom most of the time now.

i just listen to cds or mp3s in work now, cds in the car.
    the only show i try to catch is Jim Carroll's on Tuesday nights.

if they just got rid of all the chat nonsense, had a bigger playlist with less indie-pop rubbish like The Wombats, Adele, and The View, it'd be a whole lot more bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

not me, Nova seems ****, though so does Phantom most of the time now.

i just listen to cds or mp3s in work now, cds in the car.
    the only show i try to catch is Jim Carroll's on Tuesday nights.

if they just got rid of all the chat nonsense, had a bigger playlist with less indie-pop rubbish like The Wombats, Adele, and The View, it'd be a whole lot more bearable.

yes its the quality of the heavily rotated playlist tunes that is jaw-droppingly bad and a sad and obvious indicator of where Phantom seems to want to be now.

LIFEGOESON by Noah and the Whale is perfect example (sorry I had to bring it up :pac:) - on every level it's a song that shouldn't get the time of day on any radio station, yet they ram it down your throat on Phantom. As has been discussed, there are many reasons to switch off now, but that alone is reason enough for me and its very damning in what it says about new Phantom.

It's baffling really.

There was always a bit of bland indie on Phantom to be had. One of the good and bad things abut Old Phantom is that they used to play a hell of a lot of new Irish indie rock too which was great for those bands. Some of it was very average though.

Still love Richie and Charlotte in the morning but there will come a time in the near future when that will stagnate like anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Don't really listen to phantom anymore... too much hipster crap on it. Nova all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

I agree with the op,

I completely lost all faith in phantom when they got rid of "Blitz", that was such a good show:(

Now, I don't really listen to the radio anymore, and when I do it's always Raidió na Life during the night, FULL ON DUBSTEP FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

I can see why Nova is getting some of the off feed, but to be honest that'll be short lived.

I was telling every one about Nova when it launched and how great it was.

Two things though:

Really bad repetition . Really bad.

And the DJs are very very hit n’ miss.
    Pat Courtney in the morning is just Smashy and Nicey in one pair of Hush Puppies.

However the danger for Phantom here is the break in transmission.

I used to knock the car radio on mute when they played Muse and I was not amused.

Then I just started knocking on Nova. Then I just statrted to leave Nova on all the time.

Nova now bores me to tears….so I give both of ‘em a wide miss.

Really started to get back into playing my own tunes again.
    Bought I massive block of blank CDs and started to burn all my songs from iTunes.

Plus I really try and look out for new bands on line (youtube, blogs etc).

If I like em, I burn ‘em or borrow ‘em.

I’m not relying on any station to keep me posted on new bands.

Although I must add, Phantom got me into Band of Horses back in 2007 and I’m very grateful for that Folks.:)

Sad its turned out this way :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Really miss Cinerama on Friday's,used to listen to it every week when I'm making next weeks dinners,been replaced by that hipster Vogue Williams ****e,fúckin hell like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

I'm a bit confused by the numerous comparisons with Nova.Isn't that a classic rock station? If that is your thing then you were never gonna be satisfied with Phantom...

The Phantom playlists can be irritating but i've discovered some great bands over the last year that i would have missed if i had been listening to any other station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

lordgoat wrote: »
    Live Drive on Dub City Fm plays the best alt/indie music of any show out there.103.2 4-7 in the afternoon, John Neary will get you home and play ace music while he does so.
    Have to agree with this. Seems like he is allowed to play what he wants. He also does a lot of talking with the traffic so doesnt have to play as many songs. I have always thought if he moved to another station he would not be as good.

Really miss Cinerama on Friday's,used to listen to it every week when I'm making next weeks dinners,been replaced by that hipster Vogue Williams ****e,fúckin hell like!
    I always had a problem with that programme. After all it is an "alternative music" station not a movie review station. If i wanted a review of a film i would google it or read the ticket or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

It's gone poor alright. As well as that LIFEGOESON ****e, that "Dream a little dream for me!" song is another example of the total rubbish that they're putting on heavy rotation at the moment. I have to admit I DO like the Wombats, and I do like to listen to Julian Casablancas (solo stuff) & The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Faith no More, Garbage, MGMT, Lykke Li and The Joy Formidabe. If it wasn't for Phantom I woulda never heard of some of the bands I now like today:). Adele, Muse, Kings of Leon, Belle & Sebastian, Ham Sandwich and Interpol can go and ****e though:P

Alison Curtis in the afternoon is the worst thing on Phantom at the moment. All they ever seem to do on that show is talk about Facebook and Twitter.It's brain-dead radio at it's worst. As soon as her show starts I switch straight over to Nova. I really miss Simon Maher, his show almost always had something interesting or fun on it.

Nova can get boring as well though. There's only so much 70's rock music I can take. The ads on Nova, especially "Catch the Monkey.com" and that Eurocycles one with the gob****es singing like pirates are intolerable:eek:

It's gone poor alright. As well as that LIFEGOESON ****e, that "Dream a little dream for me!" song is another example of the total rubbish that they're putting on heavy rotation at the moment. I have to admit I DO like the Wombats, and I do like to listen to Julian Casablancas (solo stuff) & The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, Faith no More, Garbage, MGMT, Lykke Li and The Joy Formidabe. If it wasn't for Phantom I woulda never heard of some of the bands I now like today:). Adele, Muse, Kings of Leon, Belle & Sebastian, Ham Sandwich and Interpol can go and ****e though:P

Alison Curtis in the afternoon is the worst thing on Phantom at the moment. All they ever seem to do on that show is talk about Facebook and Twitter.It's brain-dead radio at it's worst. As soon as her show starts I switch straight over to Nova. I really miss Simon Maher, his show almost always had something interesting or fun on it.

Nova can get boring as well though. There's only so much 70's rock music I can take. The ads on Nova, especially "Catch the Monkey.com" and that Eurocycles one with the gob****es singing like pirates are intolerable:eek:
    I think I have resigned myself to the fact that we cant have a good radio station here. I started listening to Nova when i was totally sick of Phantom but they play the same songs over and over the same way phantom do. Their ads are shocking too. I have started listening to Newstalk its got that bad because i know they wont play the same songs over and over. Usually I just listen to the ipod when i am at home or cd's in the car but sometimes you havent the time to be searching through your music deciding what to listen to.

A lot of the problems in Phantom seem to be coming from the people running it. When Alison Curtis was on Today FM she didnt spend the show talking crap, she played music. I think they try too hard to be cool too. Some of the shít they talk on that station is unreal. It looks like they are trying to turn Phantom into Today FM's cool little brother but are failing miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

the final nail in the coffin for me was this

The all new Phantom Anthems hits the airwaves every Friday and Saturday night from 7:00-11:00pm. Join Tim O'Donovan and Vogue Wilson as they bring you the biggest rock anthems and indie remixes on the airwaves! Got a request? Text 51052 every Friday and Saturday night to hear your tune.

like seriously......Vogue Wilson !! very alternative there guys !!

the final nail in the coffin for me was this

The all new Phantom Anthems hits the airwaves every Friday and Saturday night from 7:00-11:00pm. Join Tim O'Donovan and Vogue Wilson as they bring you the biggest rock anthems and indie remixes on the airwaves! Got a request? Text 51052 every Friday and Saturday night to hear your tune.

like seriously......Vogue Wilson !! very alternative there guys !!
    Jaysus i just googled Vogue Wilson and she is from that Fade Street shít !!!:eek: Just some media whore who is a little pretty on the eye. It wont be long before listening to phantom will be loike sitting on the loike 46a loike, roight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Jaysus i just googled Vogue Wilson and she is from that Fade Street shít !!!:eek: Just some media whore who is a little pretty on the eye. It wont be long before listening to phantom will be loike sitting on the loike 46a loike, roight!!

yep...apparently though she is quite an established dj in her own right....but from what little I saw of Fade St, she looked very lost behind the decks....I may be wrong, but I doubt it

yep...apparently though she is quite an established dj in her own right....but from what little I saw of Fade St, she looked very lost behind the decks....I may be wrong, but I doubt it

not really, she was a nobody model who did a bit of dj-ing here and there before Fade Street. and being a DJ doesn't qualify anyone to host a radio show, especially on Phantom.

i wouldn't care too much though who does the show, but the music was sh1te both times i heard it.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »

been listening to this for the past week, it's definitely better than Phantom. pity about all the traffic talk, but the music selection is miles better than Phantom now. it's a bit like Phantom was 5 years ago, i've actually discovered several acts in the last week, not just listen to The Wombats and Kings of Leon hour after hour like the daytime Phantom shows.

Advertisement