Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Phantom As We Knew It

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

been listening to this for the past week, it's definitely better than Phantom. pity about all the traffic talk, but the music selection is miles better than Phantom now. it's a bit like Phantom was 5 years ago, i've actually discovered several acts in the last week, not just listen to The Wombats and Kings of Leon hour after hour like the daytime Phantom shows.

That traffic info is gold if you drive!! The amount of time John Neary has saved me, i owe him big time!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

I also think Phantom has gone downhill. There's a new rate our music poll on the Phantom website. Give your opinion on 30 songs new and old which are played fairly often on the station and at the end you can suggest what's right or wrong with their music output and also suggest different bands who you feel are being ignored.

Link:http://phantom.ie/entertainment/6992-win-50-worth-of-free-music.html

It might not change anything but it's worth a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Septico

Richie in the mornings i do find quite funny. They will cover some stuff that you wouldn't get near on another station. The conversion about squares and curbs there last week was priceless.

Keep:

The banter.
    The morning crew.
    Requests getting airtime.. a change from the playlist(s)

Get Rid of:

The ridiculously overplayed playlist.
    That Cake song 'Sick of you' (Worst song ive ever heard)
    Hat-Tricks (Not buying into that show with Richie Ryan.)

I will keep listening if i can get that much, other than that ill be going back to Mario on today FM for some gift grub

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

the final nail in the coffin for me was this

The all new Phantom Anthems hits the airwaves every Friday and Saturday night from 7:00-11:00pm. Join Tim O'Donovan and Vogue Wilson as they bring you the biggest rock anthems and indie remixes on the airwaves! Got a request? Text 51052 every Friday and Saturday night to hear your tune.

like seriously......Vogue Wilson !! very alternative there guys !!

Sweet Jesus. They've finally turned into Spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

I switched from phantom to nova a few months back. It seems I'm not alone. You people are switching in your droves.
    Ah for the Phantom of 10 years ago. Now that was a quality station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

afishyfish wrote: »
    I switched from phantom to nova a few months back. It seems I'm not alone. You people are switching in your droves.
    Ah for the Phantom of 10 years ago. Now that was a quality station.

I loled at your reason for editing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Phantom lost themselves a listener in me when they made the disgracefully bad move of leaving the inimitable Simon Maher go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

They lost me a couple of weeks ago when I heard that girl on pure morning making a honking noise and than laughing at the funny sound she was making. It was so irritating and it just sounds like the crap thrown out by other morning shows in an inane attempt to be funny.

Than the nail in the coffin was the fade street girl...its just getting embarrassing really.

Turned to the Live drive, great music and little chat....the Phantom of yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭darragh666

I still like the morning dj's but thats it. The playlist is so dire I rarely listen to Phantom anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

Why did they get rid of simon maher? I used to listen to phantom all day and loved the different shows. When they got rid of simon and replaced him with alison the quality of the show plummeted. She is not interesting, is no good at interviews and as for listening to her talk about sport....

O and nova sucks balls. They never stop playing brian adams, talking about thin lizzy and trying to sell me cars.

Come on phantom, stop whoring yourself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Phantom should be exposing its listeners to to new alternative acts from the local scene and around the world. You know, like what it did when it was loved?

How are your the stations listener figures these days Brian? Has the move to the mainstream had any impact?

Also Simon founded the the dang station, he deserved better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I used to listen to the morning show on my way to work and then richie on the way home, when i worked in a bookies had simon on never missed him, then i heard how he was "let go" was disgusted at that.

I was out for a walk one friday and thought i'd missed cinerama, nope thats gone and replaced with some shíte oh well powerhouse is on at 8 i love me some john cadell, plays good music and doesn't like bon jovi :P

Nope same shíte still continues to be played, both shows have been moved, powerhouse on a sunday night??? Used to put it on before a night out, you knew the weekend was here

I'm sad that this is how phantom has ended, never really warmed to the morning show either missed Sinister Pete too much :(

Listen to my own music on the way home now and Nova in the kitchen when cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

allanb49 wrote: »
    I used to listen to the morning show on my way to work and then richie on the way home, when i worked in a bookies had simon on never missed him, then i heard how he was "let go" was disgusted at that.

I was out for a walk one friday and thought i'd missed cinerama, nope thats gone and replaced with some shíte oh well powerhouse is on at 8 i love me some john cadell, plays good music and doesn't like bon jovi :P

Nope same shíte still continues to be played, both shows have been moved, powerhouse on a sunday night??? Used to put it on before a night out, you knew the weekend was here

I'm sad that this is how phantom has ended, never really warmed to the morning show either missed Sinister Pete too much :(

Listen to my own music on the way home now and Nova in the kitchen when cooking.

Whatever happened sinister pete?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

he was made manager or something, then left i think, no one has ever said. Used to love the two petes talk rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dissenter

I didn't realise Phantom had it's own board here and had posted similar sentiments in the general radio forum.

Phantom has gone to the dogs. As has been said, they got their licence to be an alternative station, not a bleedin talk-radio station. The daytime shows are awful. I used to really like Alison on the old pirate Phantom, when she co-hosted with Jenny Huston; they played some good tunes then, but this new incarnation is so bad. And that Roisin O'Dea who sits in for her, and fills some airtime is so boring and uninteresting. Even her voice grates now. Not a fan of Richie and Flood in the mornings much. Far too contrived. Some of the evening shows are better and they play more requests, though not much really new alternative, breaking or underground music.

Is there a real alternative available though? Nova strikes me as a stopgap, as Phantom is dead, but it's no long term replacement. Is there a pirate doing anything like what Phantom did originally? If not, then surely the gap exists for some radio students and fans to set something up!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Glad to see others think the same as me. The changes in the last few months have been a mistake. I never listen to the morning show, those two never shut up, its like that 98 or 104 crap. Whats the point of bringing the Fade st girl on board? Thats populist, tabloid inspired nonsense. They even moved the news.

Phantom has gone so mainstream and predictable, far from what it originally set out to be. It was a success so i dont know why they meddled with the formula.

Like others ive been listening to Nova when Michelle Doherty finishes her show. Its not perfect but at least its another option.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Listen to the Morning guys everyday, used to listen to Ritchie on the way home, now I'm back to DCFM Live drive, and its not for the traffic, as I get the bus.
    I did give Claire "B" another chance the other day and as soon as she cut from a song she was doing some crap along the lines of "Top 5 things you shouldn't do while on air"....seriously? Spin is now a better option on the way home. I really would love to know who Ritchie pissed off to lose the Drivetime slot. I really liked listening to him, and even when he covered for CB when she was away I tuned back in, CB just doesn't fit at all with Phantom listeners, I'd love to see the difference in listenership figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Rickara

Agree, agree, agree. It's so sad how the whole outlook of the station has changed in the last few years. Hate the new trend for glamorous female presenters (namely Michelle) and there's not many of the old music nerd presenters left from the original Spectrum/Phantom. Shane's programme on Friday night is still worth listening to and probably Pearl's but I'm never around to hear that. Maybe the question has been answered elsewhere already but what ever happened to Sinister Pete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rent a Rant

Wouldn't touch Nova with a bargepole!!
    You might as well give Larry Gogan a go!
    The likes of BBC6 makes Phantom sound tedious and jaded.
    Only problem is Marconi would struggle to pick it up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I've given up on phantom about a year ago. Now, with vogue from that joke of a show fade street phantom have lost any street cred they may have left and turned into a bit of a laughing stock.
    Nova could be good, but they seem to play one or 2 "hits" from each band.

One thing for sure is both stations dj's talk too much. I tune into either to hear music, not the dj telling me some boring thing that happened to them when they were 5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd rather gogan than poxy vogue

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'd rather gogan than poxy vogue

Larry Gogan was one of the only DJ's playing irish music on daytime mainstream radio not very long ago. I'm pretty sure he was the first to play Bellx1, Frames, Rice and a host of others long before they were known. He's also a bloody nice bloke.

Live drive is great tonight, no traffic to report so he gets to play plenty of good music. Im sure if i put phantom on they would be waffling about something or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

God, I thought I was the only one!

I listen to the radio on my drive to work (7am) and have the radio on in the lab til (5pm). It's automatic that when I turn on a radio, I go straight to Phantom. But these days, it's usually some talk show or else 1 of 5 songs that are played over and over throughout the day. I've seen the word "grate" used in relation to a lot of the presenters and I have to agree, all of the female presenters voices literally grate on me... Their pathetic approach to filling in time using a "oh I'm such a quirky chick, I'm gonna talk about my favourite x topic" is infuriating. It's crap talk. At least on SPIN you can get some interesting talk, particularly off that lad who hosts with his partner (the guy who did law in Trinity, I think). On Phantom, I essentially here someone regurgitate what I have read already in Metro/HeraldAM

I'm now a SPIN/NOVA man. Both have their playlists - which is the way it is - but there is great audience participation in comps, requests and talk show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rent a Rant

lordgoat wrote: »
    Larry Gogan was one of the only DJ's playing irish music on daytime mainstream radio not very long ago. I'm pretty sure he was the first to play Bellx1, Frames, Rice and a host of others long before they were known. He's also a bloody nice bloke.

I'm sure he's a lovely man but his overall taste in music is appalling!!
    If he occasionally plays homegrown fare its more likely to be Jedward etc.
    Should have been "retired" decades ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Pity to see Simon go and what about 'ol Sinister Pete?

Richie McCormack is a great presenter, very funny bloke and I've warmed to Charlotte too. Michelle Doherty is a bit annoying but I don't mind her show. Alison Curtis is ok-ish but Claire Beck is just not suited to Phantom IMO. But what's the alternative? Nova can be good at times but that's about it.

Generally I listen to Phantom from 8-2, change over to Nova 2-6. Can't be doing with the Rock Report on Nova or Claire Beck on Phantom so it's a CD from 6pm to when I get home.

Bring back Richie Ryan for Drivetime!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Bring back Richie Ryan for Drivetime!

This!

I only listen while driving to and from work. The morning show is grand - music is getting a bit weak but I like richie and charlotte.

I just can't hack "drive" on the way home anymore. Richie Ryan is a legend. It made my drive home when he took over from Hyland. He's a good presenter and comes across as genuinely likable. Stadium rock on Saturday is still good.

As for the rest of the issues mentioned by previous posters, I wouldn't know, no radio in work and its "off the ball" from 7 when at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lorcain

I don't listen to the radio much, but it's usually Phantom...

I'm a fan of Stadium Rock, love Richie and Charlotte, but I do think the playlist is a bit small. Actually, it's a lot small. It's a bit disappointing that these days I could tune in for a few hours over the weekend and not be guaranteed at least one song I haven't heard before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Pity to see Simon go and what about 'ol Sinister Pete?

Richie McCormack is a great presenter, very funny bloke and I've warmed to Charlotte too. Michelle Doherty is a bit annoying but I don't mind her show. Alison Curtis is ok-ish but Claire Beck is just not suited to Phantom IMO. But what's the alternative? Nova can be good at times but that's about it.

as already mentioned, from 4-7 on Dublin City FM, Live Drive plays indie and rock. has been much better music wise than Phantom the times i've listened to it.

• Advertisement

The morning show is absolutely dire imo. The girl (Charlotte?) just grates my ears with her ****e, "The Doc" is also quite annoying the way she laughs after every sentence and constantly plays "All Together Now" by the Farm. I was listening to Nova for a while but that got old pretty quickly. Newstalk is what i listen to a lot now and Live Drive. The radio in my car unfortunately cant be hooked up with the ipod and i get bored listening to the few cd's in my car over and over.

Advertisement