Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Phantom As We Knew It

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

The DJs clearly aren't into the music they're playing either. Was listening to Alison Curtis read through the line-up for Lollapalooza yesterday and she seemed fairly non-plussed by all the acts that actually make phantom playlists (Muse / Foo Fighters) and a lot more excited by the stuff that they should be playing (Titus Andronicus / The Pains of Being Pure at Heart).

Richie Ryan's probably the best DJ on the air in Ireland at the moment. Lots of personality. Pity he's having such a poor choice of playlist dumped on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Wudyaquit wrote: »
    The DJs clearly aren't into the music they're playing either. Was listening to Alison Curtis read through the line-up for Lollapalooza yesterday and she seemed fairly non-plussed by all the acts that actually make phantom playlists (Muse / Foo Fighters) and a lot more excited by the stuff that they should be playing (Titus Andronicus / The Pains of Being Pure at Heart).

Richie Ryan's probably the best DJ on the air in Ireland at the moment. Lots of personality. Pity he's having such a poor choice of playlist dumped on him.

I heard Vogue Williams say “coming up we have some Bloc Party, but it’s a song you’d usually wouldn’t hear….its Hunting for Witches”

I think that demonstrates not only her lack of knowledge in regards to Bloc Party’s music, but also Phantom playlist.

I’m sick of that bleedin’ tune from hearin’ it on Phantom.

Perhaps she meant…. "it’s a song I usually wouldn’t hear"

Either way I switched the fcukin thing off….!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

as already mentioned, from 4-7 on Dublin City FM, Live Drive plays indie and rock. has been much better music wise than Phantom the times i've listened to it.

Tried it today on the way home - wasn't great at all, plus the sound quality is poor in comparison to Phantom.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'm sure he's a lovely man but his overall taste in music is appalling!!
    If he occasionally plays homegrown fare its more likely to be Jedward etc.
    Should have been "retired" decades ago!

When's the last time you listened to his show? I'd wager you haven't in a long time.

Here's his most recent playlist. While there's some truly awful muck on it, it's still streets ahead of anything out there. As said before he's also been very good to irish musicians looking for a break on daytime radio, something not easy to get onto.

Tracks Played On Larry Gogan's Golden Hour
    Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Title: Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Artist: Michael Jackson

Title: I Wish

Artist: Stevie Wonder

Title: Legs

Artist: ZZ Top

Title: I'm Not Scared

Artist: Eighth Wonder

Title: Uptown Top Ranking

Artist: Althea & Donna

Title: Does Your Mother Know

Artist: ABBA

Title: I Found Lovin' (Cookie Monsterz Mix)

Artist: The Fatback Band

Title: Me Myself I

Artist: Joan Armatrading

Title: The Life Of Riley

Artist: The Lightning Seeds

Title: Message In A Bottle

Artist: The Police

Title: Help Me Rhonda

Artist: The Beach Boys

Title: I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man

Artist: Prince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rent a Rant

lordgoat wrote: »
    When's the last time you listened to his show? I'd wager you haven't in a long time.

Here's his most recent playlist. While there's some truly awful muck on it, it's still streets ahead of anything out there. As said before he's also been very good to irish musicians looking for a break on daytime radio, something not easy to get onto.

Tracks Played On Larry Gogan's Golden Hour
    Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Title: Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Artist: Michael Jackson

Title: I Wish

Artist: Stevie Wonder

Title: Legs

Artist: ZZ Top

Title: I'm Not Scared

Artist: Eighth Wonder

Title: Uptown Top Ranking

Artist: Althea & Donna

Title: Does Your Mother Know

Artist: ABBA

Title: I Found Lovin' (Cookie Monsterz Mix)

Artist: The Fatback Band

Title: Me Myself I

Artist: Joan Armatrading

Title: The Life Of Riley

Artist: The Lightning Seeds

Title: Message In A Bottle

Artist: The Police

Title: Help Me Rhonda

Artist: The Beach Boys

Title: I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man

Artist: Prince
    Your Lordship is right, haven't had the pleasure of Larry in a while and your list wont change that state of affairs!
    Why do you listen to Phantom? Or the folks who switch over to Nova!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

At the moment i'm listening to Nova, Pat Courtney does a good job but i think the djs on the station are bland and interchangable, old phantom used to have personality and humour about it that wasn't forced

It was like the people who had been at the station enjoyed there job and liked music

This was the time when it was a line up of Sinister Pete, Sinead Ni Mhorda/Michelle Doherty, Simon Maher Richie Ryan, Each had there strenghts and weakneses,

Sinister Petes show was a bit surreal and fun in the morning, Atomic Clodagh slowly dying was great and the strange music he used to find before most other people,

Sinead/Michelle i always thought where the weakest in this line up but where still quite strong,

Simons show i really did like, he was always happy and had interesting talks and guests a nice balance of music and talk,

Richie as most others have said was strong on drive time and again seemed to really enjoy what he was doing,

That's the phantom i'm choosing to remember and not what it's become now.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dissenter

Please, please, please someone start a new pirate station to step into the old Phantom boots!!!

Simon Maher, if you're reading this, could you do it all over again?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

For what it's worth, due to being on the road yesterday i listened to the show that's causing so much hassle on this thread. It's no worse than alot of show on phantom, better than some (the afternoon ones) and tbh i think it gets more flak due to who presents it. I don't watch a lot of tv, so have no idea of who she is, but i'd be more annoyed about her song choice rather than where she worked before phantom.

@Rent a - i only really listen to the kiosk and the lounge on phantom with any great regularity, cinerama is worth a listen too. I'd flick on and if there was a good song on stay but more often than not i flick off it soon afterwards.

As i said previously i normally listen to Fm 104 Live Drive in the evening especially. Best 'alt/indie' (and i hate this lable) music on irish radio imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

this National Anthem chat going on at the minute is a low point.

phantom has finally turned into the fm104 phoneshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I hate to say, I agree. Longtime Phantom listener and now i'm so let down since the move to Digges Lane i'm flicking stations. But there's nothing else :(

Can't listen to MP3s in work so i'm pretty annoyed.

I'll also make the point I do like Richie/Charlotte (although they tend to play some pretty slow tunes before 10am, which has a bit of a soporific effect), and Michelle, and Alison/Roisin (HEY - leave Roisin alone, she's a dote!) BUT, the music, THE MUSIC, so repetitive! It's just TodayFM with slightly different bands.

Also this Muireann O'Connell who has replaced Alison on maternity - dreadful! She tangents into the most random, uninteresting and sometimes downright strange stuff. Last week she would NOT stop talking about The Human Centipede - at lunchtime! I don't know why Roisin wasn't given the show.

Anyway - poor show Phantom, you've let down your listeners and I think your own staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Please please, PLEASE stop playing that God awful Noah and the Whale song. I'm begging you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

phasers wrote: »
    Please please, PLEASE stop playing that God awful Noah and the Whale song. I'm begging you.

And that Ham Sandwich song. Been on 10 times a day for at least 3 months now. Sounds like something from Mary Black and her band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I absolutely dispise rhianna and clones so I never listen to Spin etc. and could always find solace in Phantom but I agree with everyone else in the thread, the repetition of the same few songs is killing me. Who do they think their target audience is that the 3 or 4 most recogniseable muse, Kings of Leon, Interpol etc. songs should be played over and over again? And the only Nirvana song they ever play is Smells like Teen Spirit.

I tend to flick between phantom and nova from song to song although I quite like the morning show.

As has been mentioned, I think a lot of the DJs have great tastes in music, and have a lot of music knowledge (Richie McCormack being a perfect example), but they're not being allowed play what they are into.

I still listen because there's limited choice but dear christ I will NEVER listen to that complete twat Vogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i can remember once hearing they disregard boards comments cause well we dont speak for the listenerbase, something about that always annoyed me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

I hate hearing a good song on Phantom, because I know by weeks end I've have heard it about 20 times. Why does Phantom drivetime suck so hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I'm another one who didnt know there was a Phantom forum here...

Anyways, I used to listen when it first came on, it got me interested in the likes of Ben Folds, Biffy Clyro, Scoobius Pip.

But then i started to tune out...and that was before the Communicorp move...I dont know why i just kind of found it unengaging.

On a financial point though phantom was always going to be a niche station which i think might have put it an a disadvantage commercially from the very start.

how could they expected to have survived with .01 percent of market share?.

Advertisers dont care if you're playing cutting edge music, they want to know who has the most listeners.

I'm sure they had the best of intentions but could it be possible that they had a bit too much of that "pirate" attitude to cut it in a crowded commercial market?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

giftgrub wrote: »
    I'm sure they had the best of intentions but could it be possible that they had a bit too much of that "pirate" attitude to cut it in a crowded commercial market?
    They were awarded a license to broadcast as an "alternative" music station in a "crowded commercial market" that existed at the time they made their presentation to get the license.
    If they can't make it as an alternative music station in a crowded commercial market they need to hand the license back and let someone else have a go.
    Just like all so called regulators in this country they let things slide, the crowd that gave the license out should be on Phantoms back making them stick to the plan or quit.
    But they won't, and by the back door Phantom will become a commercial station in an already "crowded commercial market", and Dublin left without a proper alternative music station.
    It's just plain wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Pretty much agree with everything thats been said. In work, i was outvoted when Nova started to switch they did and i was bored stupid despite loving classic rock. Eventually i convinced them to switch back to Phantom and i was delighted but by 3pm the next day, i turned the dial myself.

A paraody of it's former self :(

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Anto McC wrote: »
    Pretty much agree with everything thats been said. In work, i was outvoted when Nova started to switch they did and i was bored stupid despite loving classic rock. Eventually i convinced them to switch back to Phantom and i was delighted but by 3pm the next day, i turned the dial myself.

A paraody of it's former self :(

Hi Anto Mc.

Yeah Nova get very boring very very quickly :mad:....I've tuned them out for good too......:(

Kinda fukcing annoying that the likes of Nova are awarded licenses, get us all excited and delighted, and then turn them to sh1t really quickly.:mad:
    FFS we're the listeners, we deserve better....!!!!!

Nova actually bugs the fukcin sh1t out of me more than than most commercial radio, and I love my Rock. Love it!!!!!!!
    I tune into Q102 before a touch Nova. No foolin'.

Anyhoo Anto, I posted on another Phatom thread yesterday, I hope this is not seen a trolling...I think its relevant to the post if you're talking about radio in work, give it a try this morning.........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056190886

On the strength of Glasto I went looking for these Lads.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio/b...sic/listenlive

Absolute fukcing QUALITY smile.gif

Can't get it in the motor frown.gif but makes my day in work a lot better.biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

Agree with most things that are being said here. It's not just the fact that they play the same stuff over and over , It's the fact that the presenters have no opinion on music any more.
    Phantom should be all about music and not about light entertainment. I like Richie McCormack as a dj and he is a funny guy but he barely talks about music and i'm pretty sure he doesn't like some of the music they play in the morning.
    I've listening to 2XM a fair bit and they have some very good shows, Some of which are syndicated. BBC 6 music is excellent even with the massive budget cuts they've had.
    Phantom need to concentrate on the music , I know because of the licence they have that they need to have a certain amount of "talk", I find this stupid along with the rule that all stations have to have news.
    If you employ people who are serious about good music then they should be allowed to play the music they want. Phantom should be a station full of John Peels and Dave Fannings and not a station full of Vogue Wilsons.
    I guess the people in charge of the station think they won't get the listeners by just playing good music and concentrating on music. They need to look at BBC6 music and online stations like KCRW , In my opinion Phantom COULD be bigger than both of those stations if they change it... if they don't it'll disappear or turn into an fm104 or 98fm.

• Advertisement

Agree with most things that are being said here. It's not just the fact that they play the same stuff over and over , It's the fact that the presenters have no opinion on music any more.
    Phantom should be all about music and not about light entertainment. I like Richie McCormack as a dj and he is a funny guy but he barely talks about music and i'm pretty sure he doesn't like some of the music they play in the morning.
    I've listening to 2XM a fair bit and they have some very good shows, Some of which are syndicated. BBC 6 music is excellent even with the massive budget cuts they've had.
    Phantom need to concentrate on the music , I know because of the licence they have that they need to have a certain amount of "talk", I find this stupid along with the rule that all stations have to have news.
    If you employ people who are serious about good music then they should be allowed to play the music they want. Phantom should be a station full of John Peels and Dave Fannings and not a station full of Vogue Wilsons.
    I guess the people in charge of the station think they won't get the listeners by just playing good music and concentrating on music. They need to look at BBC6 music and online stations like KCRW , In my opinion Phantom COULD be bigger than both of those stations if they change it... if they don't it'll disappear or turn into an fm104 or 98fm.

can't really argue with that, but ive been enjoying the daytime output a good bit more for the past month. that could be down to the lack of wombats and noah and the whale on the playlist mind.

michelle's classic album of the week is a good addition. at least it meant we got a track from heartworm every day for a week. and playing prince for the i-hop competition was a nice surprise.

feedback has found it's feet a bit too i reckon. muireann is doing a good job and her and roisin [the hidden gem of phantom fm?] have a nice bit of chemistry.

i'm looking forward to richie ryan in the mornings this week. he's my favourite of the daytime presenters, he seems, i dunno, the most laidback of them all? im not really sure what i mean.

in general though i think the station would really benefit if it could feel a bit more relaxed and organic. i know it's mainstream now and has a playlist, but maybe give each show a leeway of having 4 or 5 songs not on the playlist that the dj just wants to play because they enjoy them.

Pearl on Sunday's is still the best thing on the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Lads and lassies - there is still hope that Phantom will get through the lean times and hold on to its alternative music licence, albeit with a bit of tweaking. It's all about the music mix, the daytime music, the nighttime music and the presenters.

It's not easy but let's not lose hope that things will work out okay for all concerned and that they will hold on to their integrity (music-wise).

As a matter of interest, the following presenters are still there from the original lineup of the full-time licenced version of Phantom: John Caddell, Jack Hyland, Richie McCormack, Richie Ryan, Shane Galvin, James Byrne, Ray McGowan, Cathal Funge, Laura Lee Conboy, Pearl, Nadine O'Regan and Roisin O'Dea. Then there is Derek Byrne, who initially had health advice slots! With all those names still present, all is not lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Have to say, I'm enjoying Phantom in work these days. OK, there's a lot of repitition music wise, but the tunes are mostly good.

John Caddell (spl?) knows his stuff and give some insight to music.

Really like Phantom Feeback with Alison Curtis too. My only criticism of that would be that there's not enough time to discuss some topics at lenght.

Jason Byrne's show is absolutely appalling!!! Once a week is too much. Get him off. Useless.

Nova is completely rubbish. Stopped listening to it. That gimp in the morning - Pat whatshisface is really annoying. Thinks he's funny and you know what, he's not! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Bad Panda wrote: »
    OK, there's a lot of repitition music wise, but the tunes are mostly good.

My €0.02, it's this that drives me spare. Phantom FM is a commercial station so you'd expect the stuff they play to be more of the popular stuff. Fair enough, popular does not necessarily mean crap. But do they have to play the same songs so frequently? Means you can only listen to so much of it.

Where has Richie McCormack gone?

I thought he was on holidays but we must be in to the third week of him not being on air now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Where has Richie McCormack gone?

I thought he was on holidays but we must be in to the third week of him not being on air now?

Richie was back by the second half of last week.

Keith Walsh had stood in for him and then Michelle Doherty.

It is interesting that two people from the pirate days returned to Phantom last year - Keith Walsh (PD) and Alison Curtis. It is sad that others have left over the last few years of course.

But Phantom is not a pirate anymore, so it has to do what it needs to in order to make some money and get a foothold in the market. I think there has been some overlap between Phantom and Radio Nova - more to the detriment of Phantom than the opposite, so it has to be a unique brand which covers a particular segment of the market....and then say a few prayers!

Richie was back by the second half of last week.

Keith Walsh had stood in for him and then Michelle Doherty.

It is interesting that two people from the pirate days returned to Phantom last year - Keith Walsh (PD) and Alison Curtis. It is sad that others have left over the last few years of course.

But Phantom is not a pirate anymore, so it has to do what it needs to in order to make some money and get a foothold in the market. I think there has been some overlap between Phantom and Radio Nova - more to the detriment of Phantom than the opposite, so it has to be a unique brand which covers a particular segment of the market....and then say a few prayers!

I heard Richie back on air Thursday & Friday - thank fcuk for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

Who put Jason Byrne on the radio?? He's doing my head in :(

wacky banter!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Dear Phantom,

Regina Spektor's "All The Rowboats". Did yous bulk buy it or what?

Sincerely,

dush dush dush

Frank

dush dush

DUSH

Advertisement