Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft MCSE 2003 - will it be updated anytime soon?

Options
  • 18-03-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at doing the Microsoft MCSE 2003 but wondering will it be updated anytime soon? Or has it already been updated? It talks about XP and 2003 server, which still get used, but I'm wondering if I start studying it in the next few months, is there a new one in the pipeline?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

MCSE is pretty much gone.

The MCITP: Enterprise Administrator is the new MCSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jumpy wrote: »
    MCSE is pretty much gone.

The MCITP: Enterprise Administrator is the new MCSE.
    There's a Vista one, and a Windows 7 one. Think I'll go for the Windows 7 one, for no other reason than I supported Vista for a year, and really really really hate it (it's also slow as sh|t), and would like to learn stuff about Windows 7.

Or should I build on what I know about Vista, having supported it, as it is probably used by businesses still?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

the_syco wrote: »
    There's a Vista one, and a Windows 7 one. Think I'll go for the Windows 7 one, for no other reason than I supported Vista for a year, and really really really hate it (it's also slow as sh|t), and would like to learn stuff about Windows 7.

Or should I build on what I know about Vista, having supported it, as it is probably used by businesses still?

Are you really sure you know what you're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

testicle wrote: »
    Are you really sure you know what you're doing?
    Nope, no idea. Will study one of them, and pass it. Was wondering which one is of any use, and will it still be used when I pass it. It also allows me to learn something. I find it easier to learn about something if there's a goal, as opposed to learning for the sake of learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

While YES - there is an MCSE equivalent for the Windows Server 2008 platform, Server 2003 is STILL the most common in the enterprise.

It a while since I touched any of these but I would suggest taking the Windows 7/Vista exam as one of the requirements towards either credential.
    Review the Microsoft website again, you don't want to run into a situation where you have half the exams complete and they retire the MCSE title completely.

Once you've achieved the certification it will stand to you, regardless of which version. The exams / certification will teach you the technologies and best practices.

Start with the MCITP Enterprise administrator requirements here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab2

Download the trial of VMware workstation here and try out everything mentioned in the books / study materials. The MS Press books imo opinion are the best way to prepare.

Keep in mind - its been a while since I did these exams so its worth having a Google around first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement