Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Guidance counsellor in Waterford?

• 18-03-2011 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Does anyone know of 1?
    Teenage daughter would like to speak to 1, school not offering much assistance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Stear clear of Tom Womble/silver fox or a woman who says the phrase "Double IT" in De la Salle anyway

There was a teacher in Newtown that did it he had a fairlly good reputation a friend went ot him back in the day, il ask can he remember his name.
    (to get the record straight i did not go to newtown)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I think it would be good for the student or whoever it is to speak to someone from the profession he/she is interested in directly rather than just relying on a guidance counsellor. I'd say if you had any avenue to speak to someone who would know about the area, friend of a friend or whatever, they would probably be happy to speak to the person.

My experience is that you learn a lot more from speaking to someone involved in a certain sector and getting the knowledge straight from the horse's mouth rather than a guidance counsellor who will give you information from the outside looking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I spoke to a chap in Good Shepherd part of WIT, just on right hand side of entrance off bunkers hill. You would need to get the name of the place and get an appointment, i dont think its a drop in service and its more for WIT students or ex students I think. Its very difficult, most 25year olds dont know what work they want to do so a teenager even more so. she can do anything she wants but i suppose its not a bad idea to point out pros and cons of her ideas eg, if she wanted to be a chef, yes its all popular at the moment but how would she feel about working in a kitchen when all others are off eg Christmas day working in hotel or something

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭garp

The place Max Powers is talking about is called 'REGSA'

Regional Education Guidance Service for Adults.
    Address is
    W.I.T
    College St,
    Waterford..

Tel: (051) 302287

http://www.regsa.org/

You need to ring and make an appointment. You might get an answering service. Leave name and number and they will get back to you.

Good luck.

Advertisement